Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a guitarist learning bass - any tips

• 04-05-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

hi all

i am an experienced guitarist (although not necessarily that good!)
    that is learning bass

i could doss about for ages and get it, im sure
    but its a different perspective from playing guitar
    (i must admit i was in the "guitarists can naturally play bass" camp)

any tips on how to handle a bass
    (eg fretboard fingering and the extra stretch etc etc)

i have a loan of a bass at the moment
    and on wrtiting this, i have only played it for about an hour
    and can already see the fundamental differences
    and the sore fingers (both hands, im plucking)

for example, a very simple bassline i was playing with
    was more comfortable in a totally different position to the way i would
    do it on guitar

i have been messing about on an e-e octave down guitar
    (like a fender bass vi) but i can just play it like a guitar
    with fast hammers and easy stretching

but its already nice to get to grips with a real bass

regards

p.s. this is a semi-drunken ramble, sorry...........tips welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I went the other way about things. I started playing bass and switched to guitar after a few years. I play both (not at the same time :) ), switching depending on what I'm doing.

I started learning 5 string bass last year after I bought one due to a serious attack of GAS ;). To get my head around the low B string I just practiced arpeggios like this for example:

[PHP] E E E E E E E E
    G||
    |
    D||
    |
    A||
    |
    E||
    2--5
    5--2--|
    B||--3
    |[/PHP] Obviously you can move that pattern up and down the neck.

I also practiced scales that I was familiar with from the guitar. The thing about bass is that you need to be locked in tight with the drummer. I did and continue to do a lot of work with a metronome. I was convinced that my timing was fine but in reality it wasn't :). A useful metronome can be found here.

I also started playing fingerstyle rather than using a plectrum so getting getting the index, middle and ring fingers of my right hand used to plucking the strings was a chore. I am still nowhere near the speed playing fingerstyle that I would like to be at but I am slowly getting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pol o gallachoi

Firstly, stick with because it's more than worth it. Develop your own style-it'll come but it takes time. There are some good lesson sites on Harmony Central check them out.
    Keep it straight forward and basic-if you could find someone to jam with it would make life easier (I find it difficult to be creative on the bass on my own). As for stretching and sore fingers just think about the pain of learning chords on the guitar when you started! Your muscles will adjust with practice. My advice would be to do little often until you start to hear improvements then build up practice time (oh and put the gtr away for a while).
    I still play gtr and write songs on it but I find the process of creating bass lines to be as enjoyable or even more so, now that I have a feel for it. As a rhythm guitarist and finger picker it gives me scope to be more creative and has lead me onto the banjo. Definately worth the effort.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Buy this book. In my opinion it should come with every bass purchased. Just be aware that it's only in written notation... no tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As you seem to have realised already, the bass is a different animal completely from the guitar, both technique wise and in it's part in a band. I'd advise working on your technique first. There are 100's of clips on You Tube about left and right hand technique. The general idea is to keep both wrists as straight as possible. Also, unlike the guitar, it is generally accepted as good technique to keep the thumb of the fretting hand behind (as opposed to hanging over) the neck roughly in line with the middle and ring fingers. The palm, generally, should never touch the neck.

As a bassist you are now the time keeper (along with the drummer) so practicing with a metronome is a good idea.

Welcome to the low end and good luck with it. :)

Advertisement