Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit hates being put in

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

this may sound silly but my pet rabbit really hates being put in her house for the night. is it normal for a rabbit to ABSOLUTELY hate it i mean she tries all night to get out for some reason.. the house is huge and has lots of toys. she spends 12+ hours out of the cage during the day and i usually put her in for the night at 11 or 12pm..

obviously i am aware that she wants to be free to roam all the time but ive had her for about 6months and she still aint used to it.. i do feel so bad when i can hear her trying everything to get out:(

any suggestions?

also she has not been spayed yet would this have anything to do with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is she outdoors or indoors? If indoors then perhaps adding a pen to the house area will give her some extra freedom throughout the night.

If outdoors bribary works sometimes, keep the veggies and other things she likes for the night time, as in give her the usual unlimited access to hay and her dry food but a bit of hand picked grass, veggies etc. places in the house at night will encourage her to get in esp. if she doesn't get them during the day.

I find it you put them in yourself they don't like it well the stubborn ones don't but if you let them go in themselves (takes a bit of patience at first) then close up the house they aren't as stressed and relax.

Although I find with buns the more freedom they get the more they want but for safety reasons and they don't always use their block when it comes to going into their house at night to avoid dodgy weather outdoor buns need to be put in their house at night.

Placing a plain brown paper bag stuffed with hay and veggies in the house will give her something to do when she is put in. Also any other safe shreddable toys will keep her busy. There's a treatball you can get and bunny kabobs etc. Although you might have some of these already.

Spaying won't make much difference to the problem you have but it will prevent reproductive cancers which are high in buns also once she's spayed and her hormones have calmed down (takes a few weeks) then perhaps considering getting her a friend like a neutered male (check out limerick animal welfare for buns needing homes) if you find a bun she gets on with then she will have someone to cuddle up to at night in the house and she might chill out a bit more.

Hope this helps, some buns are very stubborn but it's part of their charm lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

she is an indoor bun. when its time for bed i place a treat for her in the doorway then let her go in in her own time then i close up. she spends the night either trying to get out or sitting in one place (ive silently watched her to see what she does lol) i place toys about but she never touches them..

she is quite stubborn so perhaps that is why she doesn't like going in or she probably does spend too much time out. would putting her in maybe for an hour or so during the day and let her back out help ?

ill try some of you suggestions too thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps a wee pen attached to the buns house might work for night time so that the rabbit has got the bit of freedom but can't get up to any mischief at night. Or you're own suggestion at putting the bun back to bed for a half hour or an hour during the day so she gets used to it and knows she will be let out again. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ should have some bunny pens.

She's a right little madam any piccies of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

shes totally a diva, i could give her the run of the whole room at night (theres no electricity in the room so she has the whole thing to herself) but i thought this would make it totally impossible to put her in her house when it is necessary (like for hoovering and cleaning etc) i guess ill try a few diff things and see what suits her best :)

Advertisement