Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Router

Options
  • 04-05-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

im just bout to get upc broadband and im wonderin is it worth buyin my own wireless router for it? i like a good quality wireless. one i can play games over quiet well. i was lookin at a d link one. i was thinkin if they are upgrading their systems in the near future will i have to get another new router then anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

You wont need to change your equipment if the bandwidth gets upgraded. Also As long as the wireless connection has a strong signal & doesnt randomly drop then it will be fine for gaming.

Just try it out for the first week and see if you are happy before forking out money! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The Netgear supplied one from UPC isn't great. You'd probably be better off investing in a Linksys or Buffalo router. Personally, I wouldn't be rushing into buying a D-Link. If UPC upgrade their systems in the future, all that needs to be changed would be your cablemodem - which UPC do for you as part of your subscription. Your router will remain completely unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Agreed, try it out and if it works for you then no need to spend money.

That said, the standard NTL routers have a reputation for being heaps of crap anyway - mine has just randomly lost its wireless function for example. I did have a DSL S-Link modem router at one stage and it too gave out after a year or so. I think being continuously on they are designed to break, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

tbh im a bit pissed i have to change at all but i just cant keep to bt's fup. and its gonna cost me a few quid to get outa the contrat. but im so pissed wit that fup i just cba... in long run im prob gonna save money with the amount of time actually have unusable bb. wouldnt mind but they have been v good besides that. just hopin there is no probs with upc. least i wont have to worry 2 much bout the fup.

oh and any recommendations for a router??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

sdonn wrote: »
    That said, the standard NTL routers have a reputation for being heaps of crap anyway -.

UPC dont actually brand the Netgear routers given out free with their higher pack. Was checking this out but basically they are only free offer equipment so they wont rebrand them they stay branded and standard support for them from Netgear themselves. I can only speak from personal experience and that of people I know whom have them and they never find anything wrong with them at all.

Seems that most of the "problems" with them netgear routers are ether operating systems screw ups or people not being able to understand the issue? Its not being thick or anything lol its just the first thing people would blame, seems unthinkable that it would be someones computer like lol.

If it ever does go faulty though I wouldnt be counting on Netgear support line for help, actually know people who were told to direct connect the router which is normal, the person says they have a desktop and then Netgear suggest not to bring the 6inch x 4inch router to the computer but bring the tower, monitor,keyboard, mouse and all cables to the router! lol. True story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

rofl. thats cool to know. sure there is no harm in tryin it. will have to sort out some cat5 cable to my bedroom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

from seeing a few posts here in the last week or so, they are now giving away a different wifi router than the unpopular one. maybe it'll work fine. the only way to find out is to give it a go tbh and if it's no good for you then seek more advice and try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

hightower1 wrote: »
    UPC dont actually brand the Netgear routers given out free with their higher pack. Was checking this out but basically they are only free offer equipment so they wont rebrand them they stay branded and standard support for them from Netgear themselves. I can only speak from personal experience and that of people I know whom have them and they never find anything wrong with them at all.

Yeah that seems to be the case - although the first time I had a problem UPC put me through to their own, premium rate repair folks, and waived the charge, as opposed to fobbing me off with "call Netgear" etc.

They got it sorted that time, this time looks like it's knackered.

Advertisement