Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edge Hill PGCE Sept 2009

• 04-05-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Anyone else starting a PGCE at Edge Hill this sept? I have an interview on thur for secondary PGCE, just wondered if anyone else has had an Interview or been offered a place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrjam

hi,

I just saw your post, and registered lol. I have got my interview on 20th for secondary science? how did your interview go? hope it went well. Am reading up on stuff, and have a few days to think and get my presentation ready. Any tips? Hope you get the place, and hopefully i'll see you there in sep mate :)

goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

mrjam wrote: »
    hi,

I just saw your post, and registered lol. I have got my interview on 20th for secondary science? how did your interview go? hope it went well. Am reading up on stuff, and have a few days to think and get my presentation ready. Any tips? Hope you get the place, and hopefully i'll see you there in sep mate :)

goodluck

Hey

Thanks! Havent heard if I got a place yet. Should hear sometime next week. Ive applied for the Business Education course. As regard tips. I would say have answers ready for questions like: Why you want to teach? What qualities are needed to be a good teacher? How you deal with difficult pupils? Also how you would approach teaching boring (for want of a better word) parts of the subject you plan to teach!

For your presentation, I believe its not so much the content of your presentation that matters, more the way you present it. Make sure you come across confident about what your talking about and present it in a way that anyone can understand ie: pupils!

I am currently doing my degree at Chester Uni so I didnt have far to travel to edge hill. However on the day i did have some problems with trains etc! So make sure you allow yourself enough time to get there!

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks! Thats very helpful as I've been worrying about content of my presentation, now i can relax abit an focus more on the general part of it. Did they ask you much about the curriculum, current issues in teaching? and how about the subject knowledge?

I'll be travelling from blackburn about 40 mins i think. Driving cuz i dont trust public transport to get me anywhere on time ! haha

I'm rooting for you mate, hope they get in touch with you soon enough

Thanks for the good luck wishes!!

yeah i was asked - What I new about changes to the curricilium, so i talked about the new national diplomas, was also asked a few subject knowledge questions - also how i would describe "finance" to a year 10 group in way that they could easily relate!

I spent 5 weeks on placement last year in a secondary school, so i was asked plenty of questions on what I did while there, what I learned from observing teachers etc! Also was asked "apart from actually teaching - what more is there too a career in teaching", so i talked about how teachers not only educate pupils but how they also contribute to the social and personal development of young people etc!

I cant remember all the questions i was asked to be honest. I dont really know how i did. There was only one person interviewing me and she was writing down all my asnwers so it was difficult to gage her reaction to what i was saying! but fingers crossed ill get in. Its my first choice and as time is moving on other places are quickly filling up!! Good luck to you again! if you want to more feel free to ask!

mrjam wrote: »
    Thanks! Thats very helpful as I've been worrying about content of my presentation, now i can relax abit an focus more on the general part of it. Did they ask you much about the curriculum, current issues in teaching? and how about the subject knowledge?

I'll be travelling from blackburn about 40 mins i think. Driving cuz i dont trust public transport to get me anywhere on time ! haha

I'm rooting for you mate, hope they get in touch with you soon enough

Hey mate! how did your interview go? Im still waiting to hear back. They told me id hear within 10 days and its 10 days today! not impressed! hope you got on well

• Advertisement

hi mate,

It went quite well, and they told me to expect a letter. He said my application was quite 'strong' and that i'd recieve paperwork through if i accepted any offer given, but didnt give me a time scale :S. They do have 28 days to give gttr a reply, so until that time i dont think you should worry.

Was it your first choice?

hey! thats great. sounds like you will be ok

Im still waiting. they have had my application since march 10th!! They requested extra time from the GTTR to make a decision cos they had gone over the time limit! but said that they would try and be as quick as possible! Was told at interview i would hear within 10 days buts its well over that now! getting worried as my other choices are filling up. yeah its my first choice! just rang admissions earlier and they said they havent been given a decision by course leader! they told me to contact the course leader directly! Im trying to get hold of her. the GTTR have advised me to give them another few days and then withdraw my app from them and move on to next choice or else i run the risk of not getting a place anywhere!!! wish they would hurry up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hblack

Hi there

I have applied for Business studies at edgehill as well but i do not have an interview until 09th July. I am quite worried now as well as my 2nd and 3rd choices are full!

Very nervous about my interview- any tips or advise with questions or anything would be very much appreciated.

Have you heard any word back yet? Hope all goes well for you

hi ,

Yes i have heard back and have confirmed an offer from them, just getting the paperwork together that they need.

I was just as nervous, i'm doing secondary science so your interview probably be slightly different.

I was told to wait with other people in the waiting room until the science staff member came to get us. There were 6 of us, he gave us a brief introduction/tour, and took us to a room. told us about the course and then gave us a written task, describe how you would teach your favourite topic, and gave us 10 mins to do it while he left the room.

Then when he returned, we gave our presentations, and after that he called us individually for an interview, asking the normal expected questions....why do you want to teach? describe a good teacher? experience? name something in the papers regarding teaching that you know of.

I found it quite ok, relaxed, alittle informal, but trhat was science, so dont take this as gospel.

Just try and be urself as much as u can, i know its difficult in these situation. I think with my group he had decided before the interviews. Make sure you got a good presentation, its not about the content really, pick something easy to talk about, and speak clearly confidently, and interactive if u can (if you have to do a presentation).

ask if you have any questions in particular.

goodluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PeggyM

Hi there,
    I had my interview for secondary science at Edge Hill back in March, and it was very similar to what you described MrJam. Not as intensive a day as I thought. Im due to start in Sept also. Has anyone figured out where they are going to live? Ormskirk or Liverpool. Are the college meant to send out a list of rental properties?

Best of luck to all others still waiting on interviews. Im sure it will work out, just horrible to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 AineH1

Oh I'm so nervous! Have my interview for Business Education in Edge Hill on Wed! If anyone could point me in the right direction to get info on these curriculum and exam bodies changes I would be so grateful. Or any tips at all would be great thanks!
    Best of luck to the rest of you all waiting on your replies :-)

Hi Aine,
    How did your interview go? I had mine last Thursday and too be honest i don't think it went very well. Nerves got the better of me. :mad: i have not heard anything back yet. did they tell you there was only two places for 8 people?? All my other choices are now full! Hope all goes well for you

Hi hblack..... I was soooooo nervous goin in but the first thing we were told was the course was full 2 weeks ago! I was absolutely fuming as I trapsed the whole way over there from Ireland for that..... thought they heard of email/phone/post over there?! Still did exam, presentation & interview but my nerves disappeared & were replaced by anger. Interview was ok apart from questions about English topics (obviously they would ask that!) which I found so so hard to get a grasp of because of things bein so straight forward here. They asked then would I be interested in the Business, admin & finance course cause there was 2 places left in that...... but I'm sure I'm not the only 1 who said yes so I hold out zero hope :-( Everything else I applied for is full aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cf125

i got a interview on thursday 23rd for information & communications so nervous just read that expierence in a school is essential :S i havnt had any yet but it said that in my application form and they still gave me a interview, any tips?

Hey cf125
    I was the same but just explained that it is impossible to get experience in Ireland and talked a good bit about any interaction I have had with teenagers and I do a few voluntary things.... just talk about things u have done and relate it all back to teaching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cf125

cheers aineH1, how long roughly does it take to hear back from them on their choice

hi, has anyone heard if they have got excepted yet? I got word to say i am on the reserve list. No getting my hopes up over this though!

cf125...... Ur welcome! They told me about 7 to 10 days.

hi Aine

Any word on your interview?

Hi hblack,
    No word yet..... checked it about 10 times today ha! Not gettin my hopes up at all! What u goin to do now??

• Advertisement

Well I've gotten myself a place on a reserve list, so I suppose it's better than nothin! I had applied for UWE and course was full but they emailed me yesterday to come for interview, 1 or 2 places have come available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asda21

hi everyone!
    just wondering if someone would please help me!? i have an interview with edgehill next wednesday and i'm quite nervous about the content of my presentation on the challenges facing the bus ed teacher in the 14-19 curriculum. does anyone know what challenge the new diplomas impose on business ed teachers.
    i'd be very greatful if someone would reply?

Hi there
    How did you get on in your interview? Hope it went well. I just got word this week that i have been excepted

Advertisement