Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian jelly recipe??

Options
  • 05-05-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a recipe for Vegetarian jelly? The local shops here don't stock it, even the local health food shop! They do sell vegetarian gelatine so thats a start, so I thought I could make my own, but I wouldn't have a clue what to put in it.
    Do you have any ideas or recipes of your own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Well, if you could get your hands on the pre-prepared jelly, the brand who supply it is 'Just Wholefoods' and most healthfood stores seem to stock it on their shelves. Knowing this, it seems your local should be able to get it in fairly easy.

The ingredients of the strawberry pack are: Raw cane sugar, gelling agents (carrageenan, locust bean gum), natural flavours (orange, pineapple, lemon), citric acid, acidity regulator (potassium citrate).Raw cane sugar, gelling agents (carrageenan, locust bean gum), natural flavours (orange, pineapple, lemon), citric acid, acidity regulator (potassium citrate).

So, I'd suggest a heap of sugar, concentrated fruit juices, the agar leaf (veggie gelatine type stuff) and hot water. The acids listed at the end of the ingredients would be mostly there as preservatives.

Let us know how it works out!

European foodstore have a jelly like thing called Kisel it made from potato starch.
    You have to watch for coincheal as a colorant in some brand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Aldi have a jelly that's vegan. - Gelling agent is carrageen & pectin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ClodaghBear

As far as I know, The power sugar-free jelly is vegetarian!
    and you can get it in most supermarkets too

Advertisement