Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 To San Fran- Accomodation

• 05-05-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Me and three of my friends are heading to San Fran on the 27th May and are in the process of looking for jobs and accom. Just wondering what are good areas to live in? I was looking at places in richmond. We want to be near the centre of the action! We dont want to live in berkeley. Any other advice for me?
    Could anyone tell me the dodgy areas to steer clear of?
    Also anyone know of any jobby job jobs?
    chancin the arm...

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

eh richmond isnt the centre of the action! berkeley is closer to "the action" than richmond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Yeah Richmond is a bit away from Downtown or even where the action is.

I would suggest the following places. I'm also in the process of finding accommodation. It's really frustrating trying to secure it all the way over here.

The Mission(50% Hispanic, but rest are mainly white. A very up and coming neighbourhood with culture and diversity with some alternative nightlife)

Haight-Ashbury(Where most of the hippies used to live. Nowadays a very hip younger neighbourhood with independent shops and very little chain stores. Great culture and graffiti/mureals)

Nob Hill(Nice place to live. Not as much culture as the previous two. This is where the more 'normal' people live. Very close to Chinatown and downtown)

Pacific Heights(Same as above)

Castro(Situated by the Mission. This is a very openly gay area)

SoMa- South of Market.

Russian Hill

Alamo Square

From what I have seen, the rent seems to be pretty much the same in all these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Are you using craigslist or what blow69? Hows it going for you? Whats the ballpark figure for the rent. We'll be looking for a two doube bedroomed place.

keltoms, i dont really know where the "action" is, hence the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Yeah I'm using craigslist. It drove us insane last year but it is the best free one.
    I've gotten a few e-mails back where they seem interested in subletting it to us*. They ask for a bit of info about me. I happily oblige. And then...nothing. Maybe they are waiting to get as many applicants as possible. I don't know.

Last year we booked a hostel for 3 nights and looked for accommodation in those three days. We got it on the last day thankfully.

*We are getting a studio/one bedroom between four of us cos it works out a lot cheaper that way. That's why I tell them it's only for me cos who wants four people in their one bedroomed apartment. It will be tight but I've lived in worse conditions. Last year there was 9 of us in a 3 bed/1 bath:p Rent was only $200 each a month.
    The most we are looking to pay this year is $1800 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Ha ha ha thanks very much for the info Scien, but sadly my feeble womanly arms will not fare well in a furniture removal company!!! but I will tell my boyfriend and his friend to do that. cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eiresarah

I am going out to San Fran this Summer too cant wait. very nervous tho I hope its good and the weather is somewhat decent!
    I was talkin to a guy who I applied for a job to, he lives in downtown and he said alright that its best to be in the city and not the suburbs...anywhere near the MUNI and BART transport is a must. He mentioned all those places in the above post too so seems to be spot on! Tried to get a job with him but he wont hire over the fone..dont think anybody will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Any one want to rent a room in a berkeley frat contact me [email]snip[/email]

It will be yere own room so ye can share with friends its 850 deposit and 850 rent per month hot tub roof dec bar etc

Advertisement