Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target = empty gas cylinder!!!

Options
  • 05-05-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Just in from fox shooting but had to abandon!!

After lying in wait for an hour or so at dusk, in fir bushes watching a fox "observing" some lambs, I heard a vehicle approach up the next field and drove by at about 50 yds. Fox bolted. Anyway, it wasn't long until said same jeep stopped.

That's when the blaze of shooting started.... two rifles!! Leaving my lamp in the bushes, I duly rounded up my trusty mutt and we carefully followed the short distance to where the vehicle had stopped. The 3 occupants didn't see me until I was within 10 yds of them, shooting had well stopped at this stage. After a chat, the youths mentioned they were trying out the new .22 guns at a target.... an empty gas cylinder!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

very worrying to say the least,how they got licenses is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

at least nothing dies when you shoot the cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Samurai wrote: »
    at least nothing dies when you shoot the cylinder

Not necessarily the case if a round ricochets off. This is not the place for a moral argument on hunting in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

yeah my bad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ha bloody hell the lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

ever see the clips on youtube of guys shootin (full) propane tanks with .50 cals......? Sweet ! I dont see anything wrong wit shootin sh*t up, as long its done safely, with degree of responsability (is that possible) and of course cleaning up afterwards. Just look at all the fun thats had at knob creek FA shoot every year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah it be fun alright. Not to much fun for some chap lying in the grass though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

not much fun for the cars they obliterate !

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭like to hunt

west did you tell them what they were doen wrong and show then..
    mybe they just havent a clue..

after that good kick in the ass..

and shut the gates...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

I just explained that the last empty gas bottle accident around here involved the emergency services rushing to the scene to witness a 12 foot hole in the ground and some 15 feet across, with numerous people in Naas hospital.

I don't think the lads even realised the danger they were in, the danger the farm animals and buildings nearby were in, the danger the jeep was in with the headlights illuminating the gas bottle, not to mention how shocked I was to have been lying in the fir bushes with all this going on.

As they explained, they were just starting out with their interest in hunting and shooting.

I guess we have all heard horror stories but when it lands in your own lap, it makes one ponder on days gone by, safely watching, listening and learning under the wing of the older generation and the difference a little bit of practical guidance in gun handling and hunting would make to such lads as these.

Now that I've gotten over the shock of the situation, I feel sorry for the lads.

P.S. I shut the gates myself and stood and watched the jeep lights disappear in the distance!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement