Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best lens for music

• 05-05-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

For any experienced music photographers, what lens do you find best suited for indoors events ?

I limit myself to the 50 mm , looking into other possibilities !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I assume you are referring to non flash?
    If so 50mm 1.4 or 85 1.8 (which focuses twice as fast as the 85mm 1.2)

With flash the 24-105L has never let me down.
    The above is aimed at pub gigs.
    If bigger venue you allude too, the 70-200L 2.8 IS does very well, with or without flash (bigger venues have decent light)

I would also like to add that this year I've got my hands on a photography AAA pass for Punks biggest festival and I am in a bit of a pickle as it's on 4 very different type stages and I want to travel as light as possible so not too sure what I'm going to bring yet..
    Flash is allowed so will probably bring the f4 version of the 70-200L IS for the bigger stages and the 85mm 1.8 for the smaller size stages, guess I'll also bring the 24-205L for the wide capabilities.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i would say a 70-200 would be a bit too narror tbh, any gig you get a pass for, you'd be in the pit. the 18-70 2.8 is ideal imo, flash... even if allowed is really gonna kill the image, unless you want to have to convert it all to bw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i shoot gigs every week and have done for about 5 years and the lenses i use in order of most use would be:

24-70 f2.8 - best all rounded for small to big venues
    17-40 f4 - brilliant for small venues
    70-200 f2.8 - brilliant for larger venues
    50mm f1.4 - essential for those venues with virtually no light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Dot, you're on full frame yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Agreeing with DotOrg,

24-70 2.8 (Or equiv. range on cropped sensor) for all round
    70-200 2.8 IS for a bit more range
    50 1.4 when you can barely see in front of you/all round shots/travelling light

And I'll add in the 135 f/2 - Fantastic for getting in close, less than half the size of the 70-200 too.

1)i would say a 70-200 would be a bit too narror tbh, any gig you get a pass for, you'd be in the pit. the 18-70 2.8 is ideal imo, flash...
    2)even if allowed is really gonna kill the image, unless you want to have to convert it all to bw

1) I will and have used the 70-200 way back to capture the whole atmosphere, I do literally cover all the positions from the floor!

2) I'm not a fan of non flash and fancy light effects on the band tbh, too cheesy and my music is not suited to it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

thebaz wrote: »
    For any experienced music photographers, what lens do you find best suited for indoors events ?

I limit myself to the 50 mm , looking into other possibilities !

Surely this all depends on many factors such as the venue lighting, how far from the stage you are and what type of shots you are looking for. Such a vague question doesnt really lend itself to useful answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Just outta curiosity lads, what does a NUJ press pass entitle me to?
    i.e. do I need a ticket aswell as the pass to shoot the gig?

NUJ pass won't really get you anywhere at a gig, you'll need to get a pass by the folk running the gig. Some security mightn't know the story, and just leave you in, but that'll only work for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Would imagine that you would still need to be on the list and that the NUJ card would just be a means of ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Fajitas! wrote: »
    NUJ pass won't really get you anywhere at a gig, you'll need to get a pass by the folk running the gig. Some security mightn't know the story, and just leave you in, but that'll only work for so long.

Bugger.
    Ah well, it's worth a shot anyway! There has to be a way to get a pass otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thanks all , i did mean non-flash - I will try out my 85 mm , 1.8 , just wondering if i was to get another lens, or trade my 18 -200 (3.5 which is too slow ) for something more usefull for indoor boxing and music, medium sized venues, like the stadium or olympia .

and the 24-70 f2.8 looks the best option !!

oouch its expensive - 1,600 :eek:

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Is 24 - 70 2.8 wide enough on a cropped sensor?

38-112 in 35mm cam / full frame terms.

Has anyone found they have one and can't get back far enough when they're in the pit / in front of stage?

melekalikimaka, you mention an 18-70 2.8 - is there one? Guessing it's not canon mount. Or was it a typo?

Canon have a 17-55 2.8 IS EFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

sineadw wrote: »
    Dot, you're on full frame yeah?

both full frame and a cropped sensor camera as the backup body

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Howitzer wrote: »
    Is 24 - 70 2.8 wide enough on a cropped sensor?

38-112 in 35mm cam / full frame terms.

Has anyone found they have one and can't get back far enough when they're in the pit / in front of stage?

melekalikimaka, you mention an 18-70 2.8 - is there one? Guessing it's not canon mount. Or was it a typo?

hehe typo, meant 24 :(

I have a nuj card... never ever used it, pretty pointless... getting passes itsn't as hard as it seems, recently working a big big 'somewhere' ran by someone' and there was 3 photographers... two with the 24-70 on and one lass with a fuji bridge... guess which one had a very paniced looked on their face looking at their shots on screen. 24 would be plenty wide... 10-20 is pretty good too, as is the 10.5 fisheye... but the distortion kinda means its nice for a shot or two but a full set of them is a little boring.

• Advertisement

Lol.

She's one of Irelands 'top photographers' dontcha know.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Lol.

She's one of Irelands 'top photographers' dontcha know.

do you know her?... the poor lass, i think the band even gave a smug grin

Advertisement