Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvassers

• 05-05-2009 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Canvassing has started for the local elections, now rather than doing the whole shouting "you fecked up the country, bailed out the bankers", etc etc or asking them tough questions to make them sweat. I'm going down a different route, i'm going to mess with their heads.

Next one to come to the front door i'm going to answer it but talk very quietly and ask them to meet me at the back door, as the kid is sleeping, then i just wont answer the back door. I reckon the party who stand at the back door the longest before buggering off gets my vote.

How else can i amuse myself at their expense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Kinda sad really, I just wouldn't answer the door TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any FF person who knocks at my door will be asked their opinion on this trollocks http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/Election-candidate-seeks-Lithuanian-health.5214427.jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Never abuse the canvassers.

Not even the Shinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wish I had a front door to answer when they come around.

Due to the economic downturn I've had to sell off various parts of my house and now my 'front door' is merely a curtain of beads.

Let's see them talk up their party while I'm standing there with so many beads around me I look like some ugly demented glamour model bint at Mardi Gras.

Any FF person who knocks at my door will be asked their opinion on this trollocks http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/Election-candidate-seeks-Lithuanian-health.5214427.jp

She must live on fresh air in Lithuania as well (adding the cost of flights etc). I'd say when all it added together there's SFA to be saved.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Due to the economic downturn I've had to sell off various parts of my house and now my 'front door' is merely a curtain of beads.

Let's see them talk up their party while I'm standing there with so many beads around me I look like some ugly demented glamour model bint at Mardi Gras.

I'm amazed you were able to sell off your front door. Tip my hat to you :)

stepbar wrote: »
    She must live on fresh air in Lithuania as well (adding the cost of flights etc). I'd say when all it added together there's SFA to be saved.
    I'm not so sure. You'd be surprised how much doctors in Ireland get paid compared to other countries, and other costs are far higher too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Curtain of beads? You must be fucking loaded.

I'm not so sure. You'd be surprised how much doctors in Ireland get paid compared to other countries, and other costs are far higher too.

AFAIK there's no cheap flights from Ireland to Lithuania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

One way or another it's a joke, fix the health system don't go around it ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Pete P Peterson

Canvassers, p'ah, don't get me started, I've more human skin lampshades than I can shake a stick at. And with this recession, no one's buying.

Me: It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.
    Canvasser: Mister ... my family will pay cash. Whatever ransom you're askin' for, they pay it.
    Me: It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.
    Canvasser: Okay... okay... okay. Mister, you can do what you want to me, but please ... please just v...v...vote for Mary Haaarneeeeyyyy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I might add this is a waste of time;

Clearly with all the figures, WE WILL HAVE NO MONEY LEFT TO BUY PAPER TO VOTE ON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What's the problem, doesn't this happen in Europe already? I thought the UK France and Germany had a system for clearing back-logs for certain treatment by shipping patients out, works out cheaper too, from what I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Havent the goverment been doing something similar for years now, with the National Treatment Purchase Fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yes, yes they have. But we've now found a new conspiracy. Foreign national candidates robbing our money to send back home etc etc.

Anyway, canvassers. If I don't have time, or am not terminally bored, I just tell 'em to get off, otherwise I pick the party most diametrically opposite them (shinners usually) and try to argue with them from that partys perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

When the local FF candidates call to the door, if their first words are not "sorry" the door will be slammed in their face.

Looking at the list of candidates this time (and every time), it strikes me how almost EVERY one of them are either;

1) From a political "dynasty", it is fecking nepotism in the 21st century.

2) They are already in politics and are well known as the local "cute hoor", up to their necks in dodgy rezoning, planning and property.

3) A jumped up little shít with notions of political grandeur and ambition.

4) A fecking "celebrity" from the telly or GAA.

None of them have cited ANY qualifications or understanding of political systems/governance, law, economics or social/community planning. All they do is trot out the party line and pander to individual, petty "parish pump" issues, (Ahh, sure if ya give me a vote I'll get you planning permission for your ugly mansion and sure didnt i know your father well, he was a great man and voted for us)

I keep saying it, but we get the politicians we deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I keep saying it, but we get the politicians we deserve.

Without question, the most honest, in your face truth ever posted in any thread on Boards.ie

CLOSE THE FORUMS

TURN OUT THE LIGHTS

THE TRUTH HAS SET US FREE

When people begin to belive this and take control of the political process this may change. In the meantime, the insanity will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I play the "how long can I keep a FF canvasser at my door" game. Make up any old ****e and keep them talking. This selfless act prevents them canvassing other more credulous and naive types that might actually vote for the tossers.

Vote local and independent. If everyone did this we might, after the initial confusion of forming a working majority, have a government committed to changing a few things. We might even end up with a few individuals that would stand up to the civil service mandarins that really run the country. We might end up a with a few individuals that would prioritise change and improvement over their industry cronies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My dad has never ever voted FF (one of the old school choose-a-party-and-stick-to-it-for-the-rest-of-your-life types) and when the FF candidate called round, he got a half an hour lecture on how FF have messed up the country....made me laugh, because if the canvassers bothered to keep a note of peoples preferences; they would have known it would be a waste of time calling around! My mother feels sorry for the canvassers and tries to get to the door first, but she wasn't around that day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

stepbar wrote: »
    I'm amazed you were able to sell off your front door. Tip my hat to you :)

I've got the entrepreneurial spirit that this country so badly needs to get back on its feet. I have the solution to the economic problems.

So can I rely on your vote come election day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Senna wrote: »
    Canvassing...

How else can i amuse myself at their expense?

1. Answer the door completely naked.

2. Ask them if they want you to vote on those fancy new electronic voting machines they commissioned, that cost €52 million.

3. Ask them how they can have the bad manners to call around uninvited to your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I'm just going to ask them all to sing some lady gaga (whilst dancing appropriately for same). Whoever does the best impression will get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm already out canvassing for a local candidate and even so, I'd never be rude to anyone who's canvassing from another political party, when they come to my door.
    No real point to it TBH.

Although I have met some wonderfully eccentric people canvassing, especially during the 2007 election. One guy was telling us how he would give us a 1st preference if we enacted legislation than let him shoot at dogs as he hated dogs. He claimed to have already shot a few local dogs and buried them in his back garden and enjoyed watching the locals scouring the area for their dogs when he knew what had happened.
    he invited us in for cake and to see his shotgun collection. We thanked him and declined.
    Lovely fella, bat**** insane though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Tell them if they can deliver their pitch to you without once using the letter "e" you'll vote for them.

Or variations of same:
    Recite their pitch in limerick form etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Not even the Shinners.

+1

Speaking as someone who's canvassed in the past, it's the height of ignorance to give abuse to someone who's taking an awful lot of their free time out to volunteer for something they believe in. I have nothing but respect for those who canvass.

Even the Shinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not even the Shinners.

Especially not the Shinners. They have... "friends".

Right.

I'm going to stick a sign up on my door telling each and every politician to go f*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I actually knew one of the new candidates in my area before he got into politics..he was a overbearing, thick as pig**** pr1ck back then..guess which party he's running for? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just collect all of the canvassers like the old lady in the Carlberg ad, and stick em in the cellar. Tell em that you'll give first preference to the party being supported by the last person left alive (except if it's FF).

..or chain all of their heads to a radiator and tell them that they've got to saw their heads off to escape.

... fun-packed fun.

• Advertisement

Melange wrote: »
    +1

Speaking as someone who's canvassed in the past, it's the height of ignorance to give abuse to someone who's taking an awful lot of their free time out to volunteer for something they believe in. I have nothing but respect for those who canvass.

Even the Shinners.

Especially as abuse just makes you come off as an ignorant prick.

I remember canvassing for a Yes vote for Lisbon, and getting abuse from lots of No voters (they refused to take our leaflets, but would take any No leaflet:rolleyes:). I just wrote them off as ignorant no-nothings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ten minutes ago a knock on my door introduced an FF candidate. Nice guy but very apologetic. He wanted to know if I'd vote FF in the EU elections. I said (gently) that I might if he would get rid of the Brian's. There was a definite slump of the shoulders. "I'm just the local man. I'm not able for all that." he sighed. Poor guy. Cannon fodder for charlatans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I have my lawnmower out on the lawn. If they'll mow the lawn they can have my vote. I care that much.

Advertisement