Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straw poll

• 05-05-2009 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Curious to see what people use Linux for in this forum. Are you Linux only (or Unix/BSD/etc - for simplicity I'm grouping all *nix clones under the label Linux so work with me:) )

This poll is only for your main PC - if you have secondary ones don't count them. I'm curious as to people's primary PC not test ones.

As for me - I'm #1 - pure Linux - for nearly 2 years now. It's my main PC that I use for gaming. Not a dual-boot and probably never will be.

What is your main PC? 34 votes

Linux - nothing else.
    0%
    Linux for productivity - Windows for gaming
    55%
    SnowbatOffystereo_steveniallbOrionAn Fear AniarKhannieAndrewMcTony HHydrosylatorSkrynesaverGalenKAGYmwrfNaikoncroovelocirafterJohnboy1951RoadKillTs 19 votes
    Linux for testing (VM or dual-boot) - Windows for normal use
    29%
    JackzShawnRaventoiletduckKinetic^WcoolPogMoThoinTalon.ieDartzkierank01Darr3nG 10 votes
    Linux for gaming - Windows for productivity
    14%
    Karomafeylyajoe_dunneoebEpic Tissue 5 votes
    Windows only - Linux-curious
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

lol@linux-curious. Sounds sexual. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Umm I ain't sure what to pick!

Mac @ Home
    Windows @ Work for doccos, email and such - 'productivity'
    HP/UX, Solaris, Linux @ Work for development and test - 'also productivity'

I also use an Xbox 360 for gaming but thats not very productive ;-0

/hangs nerdy head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I install linux around once a year to see how it's progressing... then when I get tired of not being able to set it up to my liking, and googling all day long, I remove it until next year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

XP / Vista at work and Debian at home. Good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I install linux around once a year to see how it's progressing... then when I get tired of not being able to set it up to my liking, and googling all day long, I remove it until next year. :)

I was like that for a few years. Your turn to the dark side (actually the cool side) is inevitable.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I was like that for a few years. Your turn to the dark side (actually the cool side) is inevitable.
    Well I'd say I'm going strong with this routine now for about 8 or 9 years.
    It's like trying in vain to chat up the same ugly bird every weekend at the pub when you could just go home to your attractive, yet STD-riddled, girlfriend who knows just how you like it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Well I'd say I'm going strong with this routine now for about 8 or 9 years.
    It's like trying in vain to chat up the same ugly bird every weekend at the pub when you could just go home to your attractive, yet STD-riddled, girlfriend who knows just how you like it. :D

out of interest what cant you set up in linux? 95% of stuff worked out of the box for me when I installed ubuntu 9.04 the other week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Your poll is missing a few bits.
    There's a lot more in the world than Linux and Windows,
    and this is the kind of place those things would appear most!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

niallb wrote: »
    Your poll is missing a few bits.
    There's a lot more in the world than Linux and Windows,
    and this is the kind of place those things would appear most!
    Macros42 wrote: »
    or Unix/BSD/etc - for simplicity I'm grouping all *nix clones under the label Linux so work with me:) )

I could have added about another 50 options in the poll but I decided to just keep it simple and group them all together.

out of interest what cant you set up in linux? 95% of stuff worked out of the box for me when I installed ubuntu 9.04 the other week
    I won't go into a long detailed whining session here (that really is for another thread), but generally it's one major hardware component (sound/video/network) with crappy or non-existent drivers and lots of little things that wears me down and annoys me back to my comfortable old shoes.
    And the case-sensitive file names? What's that all about?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I had an old Toshiba laptop with 256Mb of RAM, and a 1.6Ghz pentium. Windows XP was slow, and would sometimes randomly decide it had been pirated and lock up. Got sick of this, so I installed Xubuntu 7.04. Was fast, functional and more convenient on a day to day basis. Stuck with the same Distro ever since, since I gre to like Xfce over Gnome.

Functional, near idiot proof, and bloody convenient to use provided you have half a brain... and aren't afraid to google when the odd thing lets go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I use linux 90% of the time. Only boot into windows if I want to use an app that isn't available on Linux or I want to test a webpage using a different browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

95% Linux.
    Have to boot vista now and again for C# projects :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Linux for gaming - Windows for productivity
    I dual boot with Windows 7 and Linux Mint but normally stick to Windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Tillotson wrote: »
    95% Linux.
    Have to boot vista now and again for C# projects :(
    Is Mono (and the MonoDevelop IDE) a possible Linux-side solution?

No option for me in this poll :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Do geeks still have a "Main PC" these days? Ive several at work and at home, my time is split between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

CiaranC wrote: »
    Do geeks still have a "Main PC" these days? Ive several at work and at home, my time is split between them.

Considering I use my laptop for literally 'everything' you'd want to do with a computer on a regular basis, I'd say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Linux only on my main machine, just did a clean install with Jaunty removing windows after a 2 years of dual booting. Feels like I just had a colonic :-)

But, I still have a VM with windows and office incase I need screen shots for work and if I need to use AutoCAD or Solidworks I kick the other half off her machine and use that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Linux only on my main machine. I love my redhat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

Ubuntu for work and most recreational stuff.
    Mine's a dual-boot with XP, which I use only when I need Photoshop or Skype.

There is Skype for 32-bit Ubuntu, but I went for 64-bit.
    I'm most sure how often the extra 32 bits get used, but I feel more like a man this way.

Although some would say because I'm using Ubuntu I can't be a real man, I have yet to run into any unsurmountable issues. Not including my Ati graphics card, those are a nightmare on Linux, and my otherwise fine printer, which doesn't do Linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Linux on both main PCs (Ubuntu at home, Gentoo at work).

Been mucking around with Windows 7 in work on a spare machine though. Like having a mistress.

Advertisement