Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee to run for Fine Gael In Dublin South.

Options
  • 05-05-2009 2:15am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Source = http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0505/1224245943455.html

RTÉ’S ECONOMICS editor, George Lee, was last night at the centre of speculation that he will be unveiled by Fine Gael as its high-profile candidate for the Dublin South byelection.
    Sources close to Lee have confirmed that he has been approached by Fine Gael to stand for the vacancy caused by the death of former Fianna Fáil minister Séamus Brennan.
    Lee recently presented a widely watched documentary on RTÉ television about the demise of the Celtic Tiger economy, How We Blew the Boom . In advance of the 2002 general election there was speculation that Lee would run as a Fine Gael candidate but, in the event, he decided not to seek a nomination. In recent weeks there has been renewed speculation he was in discussions with Fine Gael about running in the Dublin South byelection and that has now been confirmed.
    The Government’s decision last week to hold the byelection on June 5th, on the same date as the European and local elections, brought the issue to a head. Fine Gael will hold a selection convention tomorrow night.
    The identity of the candidate has been kept a secret even from the local party organisation in Dublin South. The printing of posters and election literature for some council candidates has been held back until the name of the byelection candidate can be added.
    Speculation about the identity of the candidate has included broadcasters George Hook and David McWilliams, former taoiseach John Bruton, former Progressive Democrats leader Michael McDowell and economist Jim Power. Lee has been unavailable for comment on the issue in recent weeks, while the RTÉ press office has denied that he is the candidate.
    A native of Dublin, Lee is a graduate of University College Dublin and holds an MSc in economics from the London School of Economics. He worked for the Central Bank in Dublin and was later senior economist at Riada Stockbrokers. Lee lives in Templeogue in the Dublin South constituency.
    Fianna Fáil will also hold a selection convention in the constituency tomorrow night with Shay Brennan, son of the late Séamus Brennan, the favourite to get the nomination ahead of Senator Maria Corrigan.
    Mr Brennan, who works with Anglo Irish Bank, had been reluctant to run because of the controversy over the bank but has had a change of heart in recent times.

you heard it here folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Talk about shooting fish in a barrel, well played:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I like George Lee, but I would prefer him to stay where he is. I think he is an intelligent and honest person, and very knowledgeable in his field. If he gets into politics, his hands could become tied. We need someone like him to tell us the facts. However, I would vote for him if he decided to run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Very clever move by FG. This by-election will take on more national issues and will be well covered by the media thus when it comes time to vote, voters all around the country will take on board whats been going on in the Dublin south by election and the extra coverage it has been getting.

Will he win the seat well who knows but it give FG a really good chance.

FF are putting up Shay Brennan to run for his fathers seat. Now isn't that a surprise:rolleyes: 1980's politics in 2009!

The Dail needs more talent in the ranks from all parties not some gob$hit son or daughter who inherits the fathers seat.
    Don't much about Shay tbh he might be very capable...or not!

But in fairness George I think knows his stuff comes across as likable. Can't be any worse than Mary.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

jank wrote: »

But in fairness George I think knows his stuff comes across as likable. Can't be any worse than Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'm not saying George won't be a good candidate or indeed T.D. but this type of carpetbagging pi**es me off almost as much as the "inherited" seat. Is George even a member of F.G., does he agree with their policies or is he just a vote grabber who will be no more than a makeweight in the Dáil?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Apparantly when he was in University he was a member of young FG or whatever they are called. Supposed to have good ties with them. More will come out in due course if this turns out to be true.

Anyway I am all for more professional people in the dail. Too many teachers and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The more proper professionals join the ranks of our TD's the better. Also if it breaks the "hand me down" to family members whose only credentials going for them is the fact Daddy was a TD aspect of Dail seats then I am all in favour of it.

Typical of FF using the son of a dead TD to try and get the "Auld ones" to sympathy vote them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

didn't someone post this rumour here months ago, or was it some FG shill testing the water ?
    riding a segway is as good reason as any not to vote for somebody

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

FFs only hope of keeping the seat is using the Brennan name.
    Brennan appeared not interested mainly because of the little fact of being Anglo employee and felt it would go against him with the non FF voters.
    I wonder why :rolleyes:

But it seems someone has sweet talked him round to standing.
    Of course another example of tyring to continue an Irish political dynasty or should that be desentry ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

jmayo wrote: »
    FFs only hope of keeping the seat is using the Brennan name.
    Brennan appeared not interested mainly because of the little fact of being Anglo employee and felt it would go against him with the non FF voters.
    I wonder why :rolleyes:

But it seems someone has sweet talked him round to standing.
    Of course another example of tyring to continue an Irish political dynasty or should that be desentry ?

It does seem like classic FF - picking the son of a deceased TD to stand in a by-election. Merits and who's best for the job are not a concern for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Listening to the radio now, seems like he might not be very welcome in RTÉ in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Absolutely, he's getting some grilling but he had better get used to it. They're making good points thought, how impartial could he have been on the state broadcaster if he was considering running for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Bad move for both Lee and Fine Gael. Shocking, actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

nuttz wrote: »
    Listening to the radio now, seems like he might not be very welcome in RTÉ in the future.

That was a pretty severe grilling by the presenter, I wonder who ordered the questions be asked? If he decided to run for FF, would those questions been asked?
    George was always impartial in his reporting, you could literally see him holding himself back in some radio pieces in the past in order to stay neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Possible major boo boo by FG

I dont think Lee has the personality for Politics. He wont be welcomed with open arms by the Dublin South FG fold (even less by the sitting TDs). The feeling locally was that O'Leary had a strong chance to win this seat but now I think its there for Labour (White) to lose and FG in the process have shot themselves in the foot....

If this goes wrong (if!) then Kenny will be under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Jip wrote: »
    Absolutely, he's getting some grilling but he had better get used to it. They're making good points thought, how impartial could he have been on the state broadcaster if he was considering running for FG.
    Yep. And it will get worse. Fine Gael royally p!ss off some of their own while parachuting in a "celebrity". This is a one-time-only gamble that has no major upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

Jip wrote: »

Heard it also, I thought that Lee was going to storm out of the studio.
    I guess now we will have analysts replaying Lee's reports and analaysis to see was there an unjustified bias against the Governemnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

heads of rte didnt know this morning ! Nice scoop op!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

pipsqueak wrote: »
    heads of rte didnt know this morning ! Nice scoop op!

Lee didn't think that they should be told. I would also then assume that others in the FG party were not privy to this other than Enda and his foot men and women. So I would imagine that this is not going to be taken well from O'Leary and any others in FG who would have thought they did enough work for the by-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a one way ticket for Lee, so he better win. There is no way he'll be allowed to work for RTE again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

kenco wrote: »
    Possible major boo boo by FG

how wrong you are. If it goes pear shaped, the only loser here will be Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

nuttz wrote: »
    re news at one
    ah sean is only winding him up. they'll have a good laugh about it at 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

how wrong you are. If it goes pear shaped, the only loser here will be Lee.

Agreed on Lee being a big loser if this does not work out but in fairness they had a viable in house candidate so if they dont win this seat then questions would have to be asked of the leader...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My only concern is why should a reporter/economist make a good minister? previous doctors did not necessairly make revolutionary ministers of health.
    If he was joining a new party I'd be more excited but at the same time wish him well.
    I thought the news one interview was shabby , no reason for the heated questioning

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

silverharp wrote: »
    previous doctors did not necessairly make revolutionary ministers of health.

Dr. Noel Browne?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Browne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Regarding the original post, is this what one calls a rat jumping onto the sinking ship? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

My only concern is why should a reporter/economist make a good minister? previous doctors did not necessairly make revolutionary ministers of health.

I'd say having another good economist among their ranks in the Dail would be a big score for FG. Re being a minister - well, minister finance really ought to be an economist/actuary/finance type, otherwise they're unlikely to have a clue what they're at. For other portfolios it should be useful too, it's all about allocating scarce resources after all.
    I thought the news one interview was shabby , no reason for the heated questioning

Haven't heard it, but tbf I'd say RTE are trying to distance themselves from him so that they can't themselves be accused of bias...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The FG front bench could contain Richard Bruton and George Lee facing Brian Lennihan and Mary Coughlan - wonder would most would belive?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

This announcement completely confirms everything that I had thought about him. All he was interested in as Economics Editor was to push his own profile. His analysis was designed to promote himself and he couldn't not be an objective commentator if he has this in his mind.

I can understand other economists (Jim Power, Pat McArdle etc) promoting themselves - without a profile you won't get onto the airwaves - however an RTE commentator should not aim to drive his own profile- they already have the airwaves.

Gurr - he is soo fecking annoying... I have no doubt that either he or his supporters in FG are reading this - so come on and respond!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

He has just been on Newstalk and gave a good account of himself. Fair play to him, we need people who know their stuff.

Advertisement