Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee to run for Fine Gael In Dublin South.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Good point mike65. Would Lee's election effect Brutons future position at finance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

What is he at? FG will gobble him up. Jeez, it really kills his career as an independent analyst. And all to try to end up as a back bencher in FG? Because if he's too honest and open, they'll be afraid of him being a squeeky wheel in cabinet and that's where he'll end up. I wish for himself that he hadn't done this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

turgon wrote: »
    Good point mike65. Would Lee's election effect Brutons future position at finance?

Yes, Bruton will have to become party leader! Seriously though I don't belive it would. RB is the star of the party, Lee will be Robin to his Batman until Kenny moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Fair play to him!We need the likes of Lee,Hobbs and the Michael o Leary to stop this ship from sinking.A lot of the wasters would have nowhere to hide if that crew took over for a while,the "im entitled not to work" ;)element would not last long

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Good coup for FG. RTE will be fuming because they will have been taking severe flak over recent months from FF over George's reports becoming somewhat impartial - RTE staunchly defended George and were adamant that he wasn't running whereas FF had a whisper that he might be.

George was FG connected previously so, to be fair, it's not a complete volte face.

I think FF and Lab will struggle to beat George . . but . . unlike some commentators here I don't view him as a "good economist" or as someone who "knows what he is talking about". He was an economist (and not a great one at that) in Riada some decades ago and he decided to give it up and become a journalist. He called the property boom completely wrong, the credit crunch wrong, the stockmarket completely wrong . . . no worse than most economists out there, he's a great man for telling you whats already happened.

It will be interesting to see how easy a run he gets from the media - RTE obviously gave him a grilling (well they could hardly not !) but Newstalk gave him a caress - will the love in from the media hacks combined with the anti-FF feeling give him an easy ride? More importantly will his career in politics last more than 2/3 years ? Next GE?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Never liked the fellow, dislike him even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If the Young FG story of his youth pans out them there's not a lot surprising about it. Smart move and one that could cause more problems for Labour. FF will get a sympathy vote of sorts, assuming it is young Brennan, but unlikely to be enough to pick up the seat. As for the comments about economist etc. in Govt, Fitzgerald was one, Dukes was one. Bruton is one. Both McDowell and Lenihan to lesser extent suited Justice. Often people in a specific field have more insight but like everything else it depends on ability. I don't understand the carping about someone like Lee running when we rant and rave about how bad all of those in power are. People of this calibre should be actively encouraged. And he's got good names for it . George Lee TD

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Doubtful for now, assuming he gets elected. Look at Leo Varadker to see how young political tyros get themselves into trouble. George might get the economics right but I suspect there's a fair bit of learning about politics to be done before they'd let him loose on Finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

all well and good his economics background, but what does that do for the people of Dublin South? little to nothing i would imagine.

let's hear what he has to say on the issues in that constituency first.

this reeks of another Graham Geraghty-esque "oh they know him so they'll vote for him" move by FG.....

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Fair play to him at least he has something to loose if not elected unlike some unknown running to hold on to their daddys seat. There is enough parish pump and family dynasties in the dail just look at the top three inept individuals who hold their daddys former seat .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Good move from him. May consider FG now.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

IIMII wrote: »
    And all to try to end up as a back bencher in FG? QUOTE]

Not a chance of him being a backbencher. No way he would give up RTE for that - he is guaranteed a front bench spot if elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

I'm just waiting for FF to unveil BOD as their candidate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It's hard to know how this will go but I feel that this might have been the wrong choice. And it's not because I'm a monster-raving-FFer but I don't thnk Lee has the overall appeal to be a vote getter.
    Let's face it, most people, regardless of political background, dislike the guy. It's like asking Brian Cowan to be charming ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Statement by George Lee released by the Fine Gael press office today:

"Throughout the past 17 years I have been employed by RTE where I have been Economics Editor for most of that time. It has been a huge privilege and an honour to have performed this role. Through news reports and current affairs documentaries and analysis on both television and radio I have spoken directly and impartially to people as clearly as I could. Always I have done my best to keep the public fully informed and up to date about the economy.

“As danger loomed larger I consistently highlighted the risks of inaction and complacency. These warnings were ignored. Instead the Government chose to portray them as an effort to talk down the economy. It is now too late to warn, too late to turn back the clock, too late to undo the damage that has been done to countless victims of this economic crash. The damage to the economic and social fabric of our country is devastating.

“I have absolutely no confidence at all that the people who led us into this economic catastrophe are capable of leading us out. Ireland needs an alternative – an energetic new Government, one that is capable of fresh thinking, is strong enough to drive changes, is brave enough to tackle vested interests and to restructure and reorganise the way the country operates to ensure prosperity and confidence is restored.

“This is a time for change. It is a time people like me to play a bigger part in trying to fix the things that have gone wrong and getting the country back on its feet. It is time for me to take on a different role.

“I believe that Fine Gael is the political party best placed to provide the new leadership and vision that the country desperately needs. Led by Enda Kenny, the party has set out a comprehensive policy agenda that encourages me to see Fine Gael as the party with the right team and new ideas that can get our country back on track. As a result I have decided to seek the Fine Gael nomination to contest the Dublin-South byelection for a seat in the Dáil that is to be held on June 5th this year.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

George Lee is on liveline taking questions.

It won't because he is politically inexperienced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 looktowindward

twenty8 wrote: »
    “I have absolutely no confidence at all that the people who led us into this economic catastrophe are capable of leading us out. Ireland needs an alternative – an energetic new Government, one that is capable of fresh thinking, is strong enough to drive changes, is brave enough to tackle vested interests and to restructure and reorganise the way the country operates to ensure prosperity and confidence is restored.

Sounds good.
    “This is a time for change. It is a time people like me to play a bigger part in trying to fix the things that have gone wrong and getting the country back on its feet. It is time for me to take on a different role.

Sounds good.
    “I believe that Fine Gael is the political party best placed to provide the new leadership and vision that the country desperately needs. Led by Enda Kenny, the party has set out a comprehensive policy agenda that encourages me to see Fine Gael as the party with the right team and new ideas that can get our country back on track. As a result I have decided to seek the Fine Gael nomination to contest the Dublin-South byelection for a seat in the Dáil that is to be held on June 5th this year.”

You've lost me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus, getting a bit of a grilling from Joe. Why has it turned into a political show?

Becaue he was impartial and influenced thinking of all people on matters economic. Now people (that don't support FG) feel that what he has said in the past may have been influenced by his political sympathies

• Advertisement

Lee in the race, article http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0505/breaking44.htm

Edit: The irony that people here are always giving out about how bad the country is run and lack of good leadership, now an economist with a national profile runs for elections and they bitch at that too.

Statement by George Lee released by the Fine Gael press office today:

"Throughout the past 17 years I have been employed by RTE where I have been Economics Editor for most of that time. It has been a huge privilege and an honour to have performed this role. Through news reports and current affairs documentaries and analysis on both television and radio I have spoken directly and impartially to people as clearly as I could. Always I have done my best to keep the public fully informed and up to date about the economy.

“As danger loomed larger I consistently highlighted the risks of inaction and complacency. These warnings were ignored. Instead the Government chose to portray them as an effort to talk down the economy. It is now too late to warn, too late to turn back the clock, too late to undo the damage that has been done to countless victims of this economic crash. The damage to the economic and social fabric of our country is devastating.

....so what's he going to do for dublin south?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

IIMII wrote: »
    Becaue he was impartial and influenced thinking of all people on matters economic. Now people (that don't support FG) feel that what he has said in the past may have been influenced by his political sympathies

Even if such reports weren't impartial, i wonder does that make them any less accurate.

This is what the Gombeens are forgetting; whilst I don't like the idea of somebody putting the boot in at the government wearing the 'journalist' hat and secretly having an 'opposition' hat, the fact remains that *somebody* had to put the bloody boot in. And should continue to do so. McWilliams was too busy making puns for demographic groupings and Christ alone knows what the rest of the naysaying economists were saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

He's firing on all fours here on RTE's Joe Duffy Show right now. I couldn't commend him more, fair play to him, all the ars*hole armchair consultants are queuing up here to criticise him on air, the same people will talk the talk but probably wouldn't even get out of their armchair to vote on election day.

At least he is prepared to get up off his arse and take a risk.

It could be the ultimate political master stroke for FG if they put Richard Bruton into the party leadership position, get rid of Enda Kenny and then they'll have a dream team scenario where they'll have a man who is on top of economics in Finance and also a fairly credible party leader I think in Richard Bruton who is electable for the top job. Until now, they couldn't put Bruton into the leadership position because they didn't have someone credible left for Finance...

Lee in the race, article http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0505/breaking44.htm

Edit: The irony that people here are always giving out about how bad the country is run and lack of good leadership, now an economist with a national profile runs for elections and they bitch at that too.

that'd be great if he was going to be running the country, or if his job was to be having anything to do with economics.

he's running for TD of Dublin South.
    this decision will have pretty much no impact on most of the country for the next few years at least.

also, anyone who thinks he's going to be the Minister/spokesman for Finance for FG in the next few years is deluded.

This is a general election. Why do people always have to make politics local????

What do you think the local elections are for? The clue is in the local.

What do you think the general elections are for? The clue is in the general.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cant see Lee being given such a position so soon tbh, but maybe. We wont see Enda gone, it will be decided after the Local & European elections id imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The mans an economist, an area that is seen as pseudo-science by many people, he's got no practicial experience in anything like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

Jip wrote: »
    The mans an economist, an area that is seen as pseudo-science by many people, he's got no practicial experience in anything like this.

I suppose you'd like someone from a 'real' science instead? A Physicist? A Biologist? Economics and finance are the only bodies of knowledge created specifically to offer insights into the economy (among other things). We currently have a minister for finance who doesn't know the difference between bank solvency and bank liquidity!

Practical experience? The people with the most of that are in government and they're not faring well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

And it's that attitude that has, to a large extent, the country in the state it's in. We shouldn't - and i'm not having a pop at you personally, ghostdancer - focus on 'what's he going to do for my constituency?'.

He's there to represent your concerns, but he's NOT there, and no TD should be, to sort out Medical Cards/grants etc. It's the clinic/clientelism crud that's got us screwed - nobody's looking out for the national interest, just their own backyard.

If George Lee (and note use of the word 'if') can, as an economist, bring something to the Fine Gael Party that offers solutions which bring us out of recession, at the expense of getting a few potholes fixed, then, in the long run, South Dublin benefits too.

Advertisement