Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee to run for Fine Gael In Dublin South.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Is George lee going to earn more or less in the Dail than he did in RTE ?

RTE's top earners - figures published
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157829

George Lee €89,902 as reported in 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Belfast wrote: »
    Is George lee going to earn more or less in the Dail than he did in RTE ?

RTE's top earners - figures published
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157829

George Lee €89,902 as reported in 2000

He has left his RTE job and is not guaranteed to be elected to the Dail. You seem to think he is guaranteed a seat in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

He has left his RTE job and is not guaranteed to be elected to the Dail. You seem to think he is guaranteed a seat in the Dail.

Nothing is sure in Politics. I was wondering what he could earn in politics as a TD compared to what he was earning in RTE.
    I suspect as a TD if he would earn less.

I think he has gone to Politics not for personnel gain to to try an improve the Irish economy.

Not sure how well he will fit in to Fine Geal, unless they change their economic policy.

He seem to be having trouble fitting in in RTE

Question how did we move from crisis to Cathastrophy.
    Answer Its a hard question to answer and keep your job in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Lee must surely earn a lot more than 90k in 2009. That was 9 years ago he was on that.

Anyway, the man has given up a cushy number in RTE (he can't realistically go back no matter what anyone says) and is doing what he feels right for the country.

If we had more George Lees and fewer Beverly Flynns we'd possibly never have gotten into this mess. I'm glad the man is entering politics and hope he can keep the slimy lobby groups away from himself.

FDR came from a well to do background (not that George is 'posh' but he is certainly from a 'good home') and on the whole managed to do the right thing by the ordinary poor people.

Best of luck to George Lee I say. If FG want to be taken seriously though, they have to ditch the Mayo teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Belfast wrote: »
    Nothing is sure in Politics. I was wondering what he could earn in politics as a TD compared to what he was earning in RTE.
    I suspect as a TD if he would earn less.

I think he has gone to Politics not for personnel gain to to try an improve the Irish economy.

Not sure how well he will fit in to Fine Geal, unless they change their economic policy.

what makes you say that , are george lees opinions on economic matters that different to fine gaels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

irish_bob wrote: »
    what makes you say that , are george lees opinions on economic matters that different to fine gaels
    Right now, Ireland is in a "policy corset" (who recognises the quote?).

We can't tax to fill the deficit, so we will have to cut spending.

So far, FG have pretty much dodged this, by talking about "inefficiencies" as if improvements in efficiency could solve the crisis.

If Lee is doing this for the right reasons, then he will push a far stronger line than FG is pushing now, which could lead to conflict.

Or he could have sold out to Fine Gael, and will back their economic plans unreservedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

murphaph wrote: »
    Lee must surely earn a lot more than 90k in 2009. That was 9 years ago he was on that.

90k, Jesus no wonder the economy is in the state it's in ;-)

Seriously though, I think it's a complete conflict of interest that he has been reporting on the economy during the run up to an election. People might say, the run up hasnt started yet, but George has had control of pretty much all of the reporting on the economy for the last year. All of this has been negative and critical of the government (i.e. now his competition). I like George but this is wrong.

Regarding losing his job, I would think that he will be brought back in to RTE should he lose the election.

Seriously though, I think it's a complete conflict of interest that he has been reporting on the economy during the run up to an election. People might say, the run up hasnt started yet, but George has had control of pretty much all of the reporting on the economy for the last year. All of this has been negative and critical of the government (i.e. now his competition). I like George but this is wrong.
    That would my problem too.
    I think he might be a good man to have in the Dail (although I really think that people tend to confuse journalist with expert), but if this deal was made a while ago then it represents a huge conflict of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

In a report today ,it said his annual salary was €150K

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That would my problem too.
    I think he might be a good man to have in the Dail (although I really think that people tend to confuse journalist with expert), but if this deal was made a while ago then it represents a huge conflict of interest.

Considering it'll cost him in the region of €10k to run a general election campaign, if George is living in the real world he will have thought this out for months and months, and he has been commentating the entire time.

That said, Eddie Hobbs previously said, did he not, that if he were to become a politician he would run for FF. This when he was castigating the govenment. He obviously has views beyond picking the opposition for the sake of picking the opposition.

• Advertisement

Eddie Hobbs is a FG'er I thought, as is Moore McDowell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The rats are starting to really come out of the gutter now!

Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fury-at-lee-coup-by-fg-as-cowen-faces-poll-hit-1729632.html

Apparently RTE and FF are both furious that George Lee has decided to put himself forward for election, pointing to the source of their anger being a possible bias in his recent reporting of the economy.

It is difficult to see why RTE felt the need to comment on the possibility of him running for election at any juncture, the constitution provides for qualified citizens to put themselves up for election if they want to and it doesn't mention anything about having to consult your employer beforehand.

Our economy has been managed/driven/directed into a crash by the same useless shower of blubbering retards that have been running the country for the last 12 years, you don't have to be the fu*king RTE Economics Editor to see that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote: »

Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fury-at-lee-coup-by-fg-as-cowen-faces-poll-hit-1729632.html

Apparently RTE and FF are both furious that George Lee has decided to put himself forward for election, pointing to the source of their anger being a possible bias in his recent reporting of the economy.

It is difficult to see why RTE felt the need to comment on the possibility of him running for election at any juncture, the constitution provides for qualified citizens to put themselves up for election if they want to and it doesn't mention anything about having to consult your employer beforehand.

Our economy has been managed/driven/directed into a crash by the same useless shower of blubbering retards that have been running the country for the last 12 years, you don't have to be the fu*king RTE Economics Editor to see that!!!

But if you've been shouting it for 6 years on the national broadcaster, then decide to go for the "I told you so" and subsequently run for election within 6 months, you have corrupted your profile for political gain...or at least someone could argue that quite convoincingly.

That said I don't see why RTÉ has a problem with it, perhaps because they may lose a few more to politics now that George has jumped. Miriam would be one to watch, as would Ryan Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Regarding losing his job, I would think that he will be brought back in to RTE should he lose the election.
    Not going to happen.

The manner in which he left (telling the boss an hour beforehand) has not only deemed him as excommunicated by RTE but even if he were to be accepted back into the journalism ranks his political views are too clear for the national broadcaster. RTE has to be impartial in its reporting and no one will trust him if he is returned as chief economics editor. However another media outlet will jump at the chance to take him onboard should he fail to get elected and should he choose to continue in journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Darragh29 wrote: »

Lol ironic that FF are complaining about RTE bias.

He seems to have chosen to run at a late stage so I don't know what to make off it. I don't think he would have chosen to p*ss off the national broadcaster. That would not be a wise move especially with FF in government and running for the opposition party. RTE could say what they like about him and receive little criticism from the government about not fulfilling their obligations.

RTE are biased anyway so I don't see the problem with it being in FG's favor for a change.

ninty9er wrote: »
    But if you've been shouting it for 6 years on the national broadcaster, then decide to go for the "I told you so" and subsequently run for election within 6 months, you have corrupted your profile for political gain...or at least someone could argue that quite convoincingly.

That said I don't see why RTÉ has a problem with it, perhaps because they may lose a few more to politics now that George has jumped. Miriam would be one to watch, as would Ryan Tubridy.

I don't think so at all. He was telling the absolute truth, if anything, it would appear to be the case that it was exactly because of what he was seeing go on in this country, that led to him putting himself forward for office, and not the other way around as people are suggesting and he seems to be at pains to get people to accept this.

It couldn't be argued with any credibility I think that George Lee at any stage allowed his politics to interfere with his job, if anything, it is clear I think by listening to him that it is that his job has influenced his politics to the point where he feels that he can no longer consider himself to be a responsible and honourable Irishman and stand idly by, while the country falls apart.

I knew by listening to him in recent months that he was becoming increasingly frustrated and urgent in his commentary, as the economic situation worsened. He can only be commended for trying to make a positive contribution to the national effort...

There was a thread on the economics forum a while ago with an interview in which he was asked a question and he said he couldn't remain at RTE and answer the question because he had been told not to answer it by RTE management or something to that effect.

I imagine he got sick of being gagged by RTE and decided he had to air his views and not soften them up and keep his job at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ianomcd

It's 24 hours after the announcement that he will quit RTE and I'm still smiling with sheer delight. For George single-handedly did more than anyone else to bring down the mood of this country and incite alarmist carnage in the economy. For years he was preaching his 'bad news economics' knowing that eventually he would be right, because the laws of economics state that booms end and recessions begin (and vice versa). He will now endeavour to preach a pre-boom drum, knowing that (like his recessionary preachings) it will eventually happen and people will believe he was right all along. I am thrilled he is off the airwaves, particularly because it saves me the cost of the 6-month holiday to Tasmania that I was prepared to pay for him to go on. Good riddance to him - let him bring his clouds of doom to a party many would believe are already doomed. He is likely to do to them what he did to the rest of the Irish people. All he ever spoke about were the problems - where were his solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Ianomcd wrote: »
    because the laws of economics state that booms end and recessions begin

Salient point of post removed.

It's 24 hours after the announcement that he will quit RTE and I'm still smiling with sheer delight. For George single-handedly did more than anyone else to bring down the mood of this country and incite alarmist carnage in the economy. For years he was preaching his 'bad news economics' knowing that eventually he would be right, because the laws of economics state that booms end and recessions begin (and vice versa). He will now endeavour to preach a pre-boom drum, knowing that (like his recessionary preachings) it will eventually happen and people will believe he was right all along. I am thrilled he is off the airwaves, particularly because it saves me the cost of the 6-month holiday to Tasmania that I was prepared to pay for him to go on. Good riddance to him - let him bring his clouds of doom to a party many would believe are already doomed. He is likely to do to them what he did to the rest of the Irish people. All he ever spoke about were the problems - where were his solutions?

You can't blame George Lee for the government of your country deciding to create an artificial and unsustainable property boom by pursuing insane policies in relation to property development and taxation thereof, and you can't blame George Lee for the government of your country running up a 60 billion cost of running your country on a current basis when only 30 billion, 50% of that was actually coming from sustainable tax headings.

The man was only pointing out the obvious, that we were allowing our economy to be driven into a huge hole in the ground. In a few months time when we are even deeper in the sh*ts and the country has run out of cash, maybe you might be a bit more receptive to what he has been saying all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

For years he was preaching his 'bad news economics' knowing that eventually he would be right, because the laws of economics state that booms end and recessions begin (and vice versa).
    If only we could have kept on building more houses to rent out to immigrant builders who were building more houses to rent out to more immigrant builders. Sure who could predict that it would ever end?

lol, good one. I'm just going to assume you for got the /sarcasm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Surely everyone has political leanings of some sort or another. Are you guys saying that ANY political/economic/social affairs pundit should be prohibited from going into politics? Sorry but I think that's a bunch of rubbish. Pat Cox left RTE for the PDs. George Lee is obviously going to be an asset to public life in this country, I only wish some more talent would follow his lead, get off the fence and dig in by trying to help. Or should we continue to be content for the same bunch of mediocre hacks to continue flushing the country down the toilet.

And as for those FF whingers, moaning about a possible bias in his coverage before entering political life, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! At least he's running for election. Eoghan bloody Harris. It AMAZES me the double standards you people practice, it really does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭francish

The easy option for George Lee would have been to sit back on the sidelines with no risk to him personally like many other commentators. While I have disagreed with many of Lee's views down through the years I cannot but admire and welcome his decision.

With regard his relationship with RTE, surely he is entitled to leave when he wants. He has served RTE well down through the years and has not been biased in his opinion. Every journalist in RTE has and is entitled to have a political view. Just because Lee's views are now public should not be an issues, he is absolutely no different to Dobson, Bowman, O'Callaghan, Little etc.

Wheely wrote: »
    Surely everyone has political leanings of some sort or another. Are you guys saying that ANY political/economic/social affairs pundit should be prohibited from going into politics? Sorry but I think that's a bunch of rubbish. Pat Cox left RTE for the PDs. George Lee is obviously going to be an asset to public life in this country, I only wish some more talent would follow his lead, get off the fence and dig in by trying to help. Or should we continue to be content for the same bunch of mediocre hacks to continue flushing the country down the toilet.

And as for those FF whingers, moaning about a possible bias in his coverage before entering political life, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! At least he's running for election. Eoghan bloody Harris. It AMAZES me the double standards you people practice, it really does.

Speaking of Pat Cox, is history about to repeat itself in any way?

A high profile RTE television celebrity enters politics..........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If only i'd heard as much from george 6 years ago as in the last 6 months then I wouldn't be thinking how cowardly it is to go for an election now when it's almost a dead cert to win. Opportunism is a wonderful political trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

richard bruton as t shoch george lee as bean counter, sounds an awful lot better that the clowns in power.

old boy wrote: »
    richard bruton as t shoch george lee as bean counter, sounds an awful lot better that the clowns in power.

as I said, 2 economists are better than 2 Brian's with no Brains :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Wheely wrote: »
    It AMAZES me the double standards you people practice, it really does.

In fairness a lot of people are guilty of that. FG were hoping up and down when Harris was appointed. They don't seem as bothered now though.

Its the nature of politics I guess.

Moving away from that issue - what portfolio could Lee expect in the FG front bench? He must have been promised something. He never would have left to be a backbencher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

When I heard George Lee was entering politics, i thought of this...

Advertisement