Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee to run for Fine Gael In Dublin South.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ODS wrote: »
    Regarding the original post, is this what one calls a rat jumping onto the sinking ship? :pac:

Harldy a sinking ship...

FG are currently leading the last 3 major Polls, and are set for a European and Local election Landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Just back from the convention, go George!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of people are guilty of that. FG were hoping up and down when Harris was appointed. They don't seem as bothered now though.

Its the nature of politics I guess.

There's a big difference, Lee has been nominated as a candidate for election and not appointed to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

When I heard George Lee was entering politics, i thought of this...

lol, are they yelling in Dublin south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

nuttz wrote: »
    lol, are they yelling in Dublin south?

eh Yes we are yelling, my dad works in AIB!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Just found this transcript of a web chat with George Lee from 2006. It presents an interesting synopsis of his opinions regarding the economy and where he saw things going (at the time)...

http://www.rte.ie/news/features/webchat/george_lee.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

McSandwich wrote: »
    Just found this transcript of a web chat with George Lee from 2006. It presents an interesting synopsis of his opinions regarding the economy and where he saw things going (at the time)...

Justin: Who was the real brains behind the NIB story, you or Charlie Bird

Charlie Bird, there is another one who had a hidden agenda in RTE, until he let it slip on the Late Late, a while later he was shipped off to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

McSandwich wrote: »

Now that is an interesting read.

I can't believe some people are still talking about Enda Kenny resigning. This is a major coup for FG and is testament to the success of Kenny's leadership style: captain of a team of highly qualified people.

Here's what Eamonn Ryan had to say Yesterday about the upcoming elections.
    He said the local elections should be about getting good local representation, while the European elections were about the future for Europe and the byelections were about the future of Dublin.

Here's the same old parish pump politics. I really hope whether George Lee is elected or not, that the elected persons in the two Dublin elections forget about the potholes and land zoning and just go to the Dail and sort out the economy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Here's what Eamonn Ryan had to say Yesterday about the upcoming elections.

Here's the same old parish pump politics. I really hope whether George Lee is elected or not, that the elected persons in the two Dublin elections forget about the potholes and land zoning and just go to the Dail and sort out the economy!!!

So . . . they shouldn't do their jobs then? Is that the point? Like it or not (and many don't) we require our elected representatives at TD level to represent the members of their constituency - national responsibilities rest with government ministers, committee members etc, who still must deliver locally to their constituents - that's their job.

• Advertisement

Well Minister Ryan appears to indicate that these two candidates will work only for the benefit of their constituencies. We can't let this happen. As well as looking out for their constituents the 2 new TD's must make a big contribution to the national debate on how to fix the economy. If they do help then they'll be forgiven for neglecting their area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

garbanzo wrote: »
    Clever move by FG alright. Too many non-experts with no relevant experience in the Dáil already. However I fear he will get tied up by the system and end up achieving nothing. Who was it said ... "all political careers end in failure" ? In fairness I wish him well as he seems like an honest, say it as he sees it sorta guy. That'll be a real and welcome change in Irish political circles.

He's standing in my constituency so I'll have the option of voting for him. If he calls to my door I'll give him a few bars of " . . . up the right wing up the left wing up the centre to the line. When we meet them we will beat them Templeogue (College) you're doing fine " just for old time's sake.

F*ck The Gick'

He went to Coláiste Éanna not Templeogue"!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I don't think any of his reports were anything but true and I can't say where he was being anti FF. Truth is we had a crap government and he was reporting it that is what journalists do , if FG were in power I'm sure they would have been reported just as negatively if they created the same mess.

he's now so fed up he's gonna see what he can do , doesnt seem like years of planning , lets hope theres more of his sort out there.

It seems to be a FF way of discrediting G.Lee , but where are these other economists that say FF are doing a great job , oh thats right there is none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Did anyone see Vincent Browne's article in the Times yesterday?

It was the most pointlessly negative, defeatist piece of writing I've seen in a long time.

The article actually makes the difference between Browne and Lee - Vincent is happy to just sit outside and complain, George Lee is willing to go inside and work to make things better. He may not succeed but at least he's trying.

I can't vote for Mr. Lee but if I could, I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

If only i'd heard as much from george 6 years ago as in the last 6 months then I wouldn't be thinking how cowardly it is to go for an election now when it's almost a dead cert to win. Opportunism is a wonderful political trait.

Yeah, it was all part of George's dastardly political plan to get himself elected, that's why we've heard so much about the ECONOMY In the last six months. Its absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that he's an ECONOMIST and that the country has been experiencing and ECONOMIC meltdown in the last six months. He is such a coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of people are guilty of that. FG were hoping up and down when Harris was appointed. They don't seem as bothered now though.

Its the nature of politics I guess.

Moving away from that issue - what portfolio could Lee expect in the FG front bench? He must have been promised something. He never would have left to be a backbencher.

You couldn't possibly be equating the two. Appointed and elected are NOT the same thing. Nor are Eoghan Harris and George Lee.......

Wheely wrote: »
    Yeah, it was all part of George's dastardly political plan to get himself elected, that's why we've heard so much about the ECONOMY In the last six months. Its absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that he's an ECONOMIST and that the country has been experiencing and ECONOMIC meltdown in the last six months. He is such a coward.

Of course we've heard so much about the economy. We're in the biggest economic mess in our history. People want to know the figures and the facts and George presented them.

The cowardly thing for him to do would be to do nothing and just keep reporting. He now wants to actively engage in finding a solution for our nation. Explain to me how that is cowardly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

^^ Sarcasm doesnt travel well through the wires of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Saw Shay Brennan getting savaged on the 9 o'clock news as he canvassed - people saying to his face "I voted for your father - I wouldn't vote for you". And really, why should he be surprised?

His sole qualification for running is the fact his father had the seat. Do a search on the Fianna Fail site before yesterday, and there was no sign of his name.

Frank Lahiffe was associated with Shay's dad for over 20 years:

Parliamentary Debates (Official Report - Unrevised) Seanad Éireann Tuesday, 18 November 2008 - Page 1
    It is lovely that the team who were always with him are present, particularly Frank Lahiffe. When I started out in politics, we were always at events together and wherever Frank was, Séamus was never far behind. He was served by a dedicated team and a dedicated family.

...and made a tidy sum too:

Government spends extra €2.5m on spin - Times Online
    "Social affairs minister Seamus Brennan has special adviser Frank Lahiffe on €84,000"

So it's utterly extraordinary that, rather than staying neutral or working behind the scenes for Corrigan, that Lahiffe should go as far as publically labelling his old friend's son's candidacy as "opportunism":

Brennan turns on rival after winning nomination - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
    Frank Lahiffe, who served as a special adviser to Mr Brennan for 21 years, sent a letter to Fianna Fail supporters saying that the country needed representatives who put public service at the top of their agenda rather than "opportunism".

And on the News at One on Monday, he claimed to be just an "ordinary bank worker" *snort* The auto-generated suggestions given by Google Search (which are based on the most commonly used searches) seem to indicate that Brennan Jr. has his work cut out for him convincing the public that his Anglo Irish Bank connections should be ignored:

mwsnap25020090506173953o.jpg

P.

RTE news last night, not looking good for Brennan:

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

George lee tries to get in to the Dail.
    Ivan Yates and has moved the in to the Media.

Maybe people should only be allowed to work for the media or politics.

I disagree. If you feel a commentator is being biased you can just ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

turgon wrote: »

Many of us did. I think the only thing proven is that if you say something for long enough you'll eventually get lucky and it'll happen, the same as flares coming back into fashion.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Many of us did. I think the only thing proven is that if you say something for long enough you'll eventually get lucky and it'll happen, the same as flares coming back into fashion.

I guess you're the mythical Fianna Fail core who would probably still vote for them if they abused your kids.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

oceanclub wrote: »
    I guess you're the mythical Fianna Fail core who would probably still vote for them if they abused your kids.

P.
    It's very difficult for an organisation to abuse kids, but if a member of it abused my kids I'd take a crowbar to the individual's life as opposed to the organisation.

If you're going to make an argument at least make one that you can back up.

Are you seriously suggesting it was luck that George Lees predictions of your party messing up the country came to fruition?

turgon wrote: »

My concern was not so much about a commentator being bias.
    It was there being to close a relationship between the media and politics in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just highlight this bit from the George Lee webchat in 2006
    Fergus: Is construction the main player in our economy and if it is do you see the growth in construction continuing for the foreseeable future.

George: Yes, it sure is the main player. One in four men are employed in this sector and it continues to expand at a huge rate. But it can't keep going like this forever. Construction booms have never ended in a soft landing in any of the 26 countries analysed by the OECD over a 46-year period. On that basis it is far more rational to expect the construction boom to end in a hard landing rather than a soft landing. However, all our politicians and economists think we are going to buck that trend. I wouldn't put my money of it. We'll see.

Elect this man!

mike65 wrote: »
    Just highlight this bit from the George Lee webchat in 2006

Elect this man!

I do not recall Fine Gael objecting to the boom in construction or them saying it would end in a hard landing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And? This is the George Lee thread not the FG policy thread, put George Lee in FG and clearly they'll become smarter. ;)

Advertisement