Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee to run for Fine Gael In Dublin South.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Ah ffs!! Why don't you read back through political statements and try and jog your memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

mike65 wrote: »
    And? This is the George Lee thread not the FG policy thread, put George Lee in FG and clearly they'll become smarter. ;)

Some how I think it will be the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

ninty9er wrote: »
    Many of us did. I think the only thing proven is that if you say something for long enough you'll eventually get lucky and it'll happen, the same as flares coming back into fashion.

LUCK?????????

George Lee wasn't the only one calling the recession in advanced and all those economists had the proof. With 1 in 4 jobs being in construction it was a no-brainer that we were over reliant and the property market is a classic formula for disaster that has already happened in Japan and the UK.

George Lee didn't guess the recession, he predicted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Many of us did. I think the only thing proven is that if you say something for long enough you'll eventually get lucky and it'll happen, the same as flares coming back into fashion.

Please tell us that you are just trying to rise people because you surely can't believe what you wrote?

The likes of Lee were merely stating the obvious.

http://www.davydirect.ie/content/pubarticles/irishpropertyoct2006.pdf

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10005356.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

TheVan wrote: »

I can't vote for Mr. Lee but if I could, I would.

I can and will vote for him - I'm also looking forward to canvassing for him.

We're very lucky to have a man of his calibre as our candidate in Dublin South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

pork99 wrote: »
    I can and will vote for him - I'm also looking forward to canvassing for him.

We're very lucky to have a man of his calibre as our candidate in Dublin South.

I'll see you there so! Canvassing yesterday went really well and hopefully we'll have the same today.

Hey I'm looking to canvass for him as well! :pac:
    I got an e-mail which says meet in Dundrum but i'd prefer to canvass in my area of Knocklyon. Does everyone meet there and then drive out to places?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume its via YFG your getting these emails?

ye I joined them this week :D but I also emailed George Lee directly and got put on a list. I receive e-mails from georgelee2009@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I wouldn't bother canvassing for him tbh, he's a dead cert to be elected. Say the bookies, not just I.

Whether I vote for him or not remains to be seen though. I'm just not sure what part he'll play within FG. Also with Enda still at the helm I don't know if I could give them my vote...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

5 of us who always voted Seamus Brennan in my family, all of us voting for George Lee soon enough.

Can't wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

dave-higgz wrote: »
    ye I joined them this week :D but I also emailed George Lee directly and got put on a list. I receive e-mails from georgelee2009@gmail.com

Slightly off topic, but would you have joined if they ran Cait Keane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tragedy wrote: »
    5 of us who always voted Seamus Brennan in my family, all of us voting for George Lee soon enough.

Can't wait! :)

Its nice to actual have confirmation that things are changing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Marshy wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother canvassing for him tbh, he's a dead cert to be elected. Say the bookies, not just I.

Whether I vote for him or not remains to be seen though. I'm just not sure what part he'll play within FG. Also with Enda still at the helm I don't know if I could give them my vote...;)

And why have you so little faith in Enda exactly? He was never proven corrupt in his time in the dail and that is a good enough reason for me to vote for him and his party. I dont judge a person before they assign office as there is no evidance to go on. I thought Cowen would be a great leader but I and most Irish people were proved wrong. He was a complete and utter disaster. Now, Enda Kenny deserves at least a chance to become taoiseach. Then if he fails to sort out this current mess all because of FF making, people can then say well he wasnt up to the job also.

Slightly off topic, but would you have joined if they ran Cait Keane?

To be honest, no. I only joined because I know George is the right man. I'm still open to join other parties and just because i've signed up doesn't mean I'm committed for life.

teednab-el wrote: »
    And why have you so little faith in Enda exactly?
    Have you ever listened to him? :p

Unconvincing to say the least. He quite clearly failed to capture the public's imagination for the 2007 election and was terrible in that debate with Bertie.
    He was never proven corrupt in his time in the dail and that is a good enough reason for me to vote for him and his party. I dont judge a person before they assign office as there is no evidance to go on.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's a nice chap and all that. He just doesn't have a leadership quality imo. Fine Gael would be miles ahead of the other parties in opinion polls if anyone else was in charge.
    I thought Cowen would be a great leader but I and most Irish people were proved wrong. He was a complete and utter disaster.
    Cowen has been a disappointment, no doubt. He has come up against the greatest global economic downturn in about 80 years at the same time.
    Now, Enda Kenny deserves at least a chance to become taoiseach. Then if he fails to sort out this current mess all because of FF making, people can then say well he wasnt up to the job also.
    I disagree, no-one automatically deserves a shot at Taoiseach, they have to earn it and I don't think he has. FG will be in power soon enough, if they've any credibility. Enda is their major stumbling block in that regard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

no-one automatically deserves a shot at Taoiseach, they have to earn it and I don't think he has.

The same could be said for a former Minister for Finance (or two) who presided over the most wasteful period in our history and screwed the country with dire policies.

So based on your logic Kenny has about as much right to it as Cowen ?

I disagree, no-one automatically deserves a shot at Taoiseach, they have to earn it and I don't think he has. FG will be in power soon enough, if they've any credibility. Enda is their major stumbling block in that regard though.

Cool so what are your criteria for deserving to become Taoiseach?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The same could be said for a former Minister for Finance (or two) who presided over the most wasteful period in our history and screwed the country with dire policies. So based on your logic Kenny has about as much right to it as Cowen ?
    Yeah, thats right. Unfortunate as Cowen has been with his timing, he's proved to be inadequate in the last year as leader of the country. Enda would be equally if not more incompetent though imo.
    thebman wrote: »
    Cool so what are your criteria for deserving to become Taoiseach?
    A general competency should be essential as well as possessing leadership qualities. Cowen arguably has the former(not the latter) but I don't think Kenny has either. He just lacks credibility.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Enda would be equally if not more incompetent though imo. [...] He just lacks credibility.
    Judged by what criteria? Are you just talking about a completely baseless gut feeling, or do you have actual metrics by which you can make a useful assessment of someone's competence and credibility?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Judged by what criteria? Are you just talking about a completely baseless gut feeling, or do you have actual metrics by which you can make a useful assessment of someone's competence and credibility?
    Obviously some of it comes down to my perceptions of him, but its unfair to suggest they're baseless.

He couldn't get FG into power in 2007 when everything seemed to suggest in the run-up the public were looking to vote that way. I think that leaders' debate with Bertie let him down big time, he failed to make a big enough case for a changing of the guard.

Wrt credibility, I remember back in October he took a 5% pay cut, which admirable as it was came 2 days after he dismissed the notion of such a cut as "populist nonsense". Minor as that may seem, it indicates to me he's someone who changes his mind quickly and can be quite inconsistent.

Yeah, thats right. Unfortunate as Cowen has been with his timing, he's proved to be inadequate in the last year as leader of the country. Enda would be equally if not more incompetent though imo.

I'd regard a leader as only being as strong as the people around him. I think Brian Cowen isn't actually a bad leader but has extremely poor people around him in his other ministers and doesn't have the confidence at the moment or the support within the party to make the decisions he knows must be taken.
    A general competency should be essential as well as possessing leadership qualities. Cowen arguably has the former(not the latter) but I don't think Kenny has either. He just lacks credibility.

I don't see how you can say he lacks general competency. His party wouldn't support keeping him as party leader if he didn't possess a level of competency and they obviously feel he has leadership ability too. I think Kenny would make for a better Taoiseach than Brian Cowen at the moment basd on the people around him being better.

thebman wrote: »
    I'd regard a leader as only being as strong as the people around him. I think Brian Cowen isn't actually a bad leader but has extremely poor people around him in his other ministers and doesn't have the confidence at the moment or the support within the party to make the decisions he knows must be taken.
    Yeah I'd agree with that to a certain extent, some of the the senior FF ministers at the moment are pretty hopeless(Ahern, Dempsey, O'Dea, Cullen). By the same token many of the current FG crop are lacking in experience(Varadkar etc.).

What neither Cowen nor Enda have though is the ability to instill confidence in the public. They don't have the presence.
    I don't see how you can say he lacks general competency. His party wouldn't support keeping him as party leader if he didn't possess a level of competency and they obviously feel he has leadership ability too. I think Kenny would make for a better Taoiseach than Brian Cowen at the moment basd on the people around him being better
    What I mean is he lacks the competency necessary to be Taoiseach judging from what I've seen of him over the years. He's missing something.

I'm guessing FG don't want to rock the boat at a time when they have the advantage(although it should be much greater) in the opinion polls. A vote of no confidence for Enda now would probably be ill-timed. I think they know however that Bruton would be much better equipped for the job.

I'm guessing FG don't want to rock the boat at a time when they have the advantage(although it should be much greater) in the opinion polls. A vote of no confidence for Enda now would probably be ill-timed. I think they know however that Bruton would be much better equipped for the job.

I'd agree with not wanting to rock the boat espeically given the publicity Bruton has been getting in recent time. He is an obvious choice.

I think he'd have a lot of input if they did get in though as Kenny would have a lot of respect for him given he didn't challenge for power and maybe afraid of him given he could if he felt Kenny wasn't behaving appropriately. It could be a good friction IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

To be honest, no. I only joined because I know George is the right man. I'm still open to join other parties and just because i've signed up doesn't mean I'm committed for life.

Hmm, your logic doesn't sit-right with me, but fair play for actually getting involved.

pm on its way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Why does anyone follow a specific political party in ireland no matter what? They all change their opinions and policies at a whim to whatever they think will garner them the most votes, so it can't be ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Anyone know how to go about canvassing for this guy?

Wheely wrote: »
    Anyone know how to go about canvassing for this guy?

Hmm, you going to travel up from galway? :rolleyes:

I emailed him with the above/below email and they put me on a list which sends me updates on his activities. There's a daily canvass out of Dundrum at 11, 2 and 7. However i've never been, also he's certain to take the seat anyway.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Why does anyone follow a specific political party in ireland no matter what? They all change their opinions and policies at a whim to whatever they think will garner them the most votes, so it can't be ideology.

I hate the strict and rigid system of party politics our country has. I personally am open to support any party and I wish the rest of the electorate were the same. I wouldn't feel shame if I jumped to another party and no one should feel this. Parties change and what they stand for can change within a year. However I also wish parties would stick to their beliefs and stick to their founding promises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Hmm, you going to travel up from galway? :rolleyes:

I emailed him with the above/below email and they put me on a list which sends me updates on his activities. There's a daily canvass out of Dundrum at 11, 2 and 7. However i've never been, also he's certain to take the seat anyway.

What e-mail? Also location has changed, no longer in Galway, returned to the pale!

Advertisement