Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Lee to run for Fine Gael In Dublin South.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wheely wrote: »
    What e-mail? Also location has changed, no longer in Galway, returned to the pale!

Here are the contact details for his office.
    Constituency Office Address:
    18b Main Street
    Dundrum
    Dublin 14
    Tel:
    01 2988039
    E-mail:
    george.lee@finegael.ie

The more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I feel a little relieved today having been told by a friend that her dad ran George Lee on Monday. He didn't know the issues apart from the economy and expects to take the seat on his name and apparently didn't come across well on the doorstep.

That said, there's 6 votes in the house and Shay Brennan won't get any of them either as the family would have liked to see Maria Corrigan on the ballot, leaving Alex White to take those 6 votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

What issues? If we have local issues, we should take them up with councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

ninty9er wrote: »
    That said, there's 6 votes in the house and Shay Brennan won't get any of them either as the family would have liked to see Maria Corrigan on the ballot, leaving Alex White to take those 6 votes.
    I really don't see Brennan getting much of the vote. Not only because of FF's woes and the fact he works in Anglo but he just doesn't seem to stand for anything in particular.

Tragedy wrote: »
    What issues? If we have local issues, we should take them up with councillors.
    There are many national issues beyond the economy George:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

There are many national issues beyond the economy George:pac:

Name the ones more important right now?! Not related to the economy..

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Name the ones more important right now?! Not related to the economy..
    The importance of issues is dependent on the people you're dealing with...for example Education if you have an autistic kid or health if you've got a terminal illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The importance of issues is dependent on the people you're dealing with...for example Education if you have an autistic kid or health if you've got a terminal illness.

Yeah but it takes money to fix problems (not to be confused with throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away which we have seen many times in recent years) so if the economy is in the crapper, it directly effects the money available to help those kids that need that help which can't be provided because the money isn't there.

So yeah the economy is everyones main concern IMO because when it is in the crapper, their main issues can't be tackled because it takes money to solve problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

If George Lee hadn't run here in Dublin South I believe the seat would have gone to Alex White. There has been much talk of nepotism in Fianna Fail recently but in reality it means nothing. Nepotism and selection committees cannot put an individual in the Dail, only voters can, and Shay Brennan will not go far simply on the coat tails of his late Dad in the forthcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

Not my constituency I have to say straight off but I checked out Vincent Browne last night and while I admit it amounts only to a once off introduction to these candidates, I think George Lee did quite well given that the state has leveraged itself to such a degree with the banking bailout at the moment. You'd expect that however given his previous position in RTE. Shay Brennan came across quite well also. Yes he has the Daddy and the Name, but as the thrust of the debate was about the ecconomy, he did make some good points. Alex White came across as a pure waste of space, full of waffle and without any answer to any issue. I thought the SF guy was 'just there' really. Just my 2c anyway. Again, not my constituency so I won't be in a position to vote for these candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought the SF guy made a lot of sense :cool:

anyway the candidates are up for a repeat match now on Radio1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

kenco wrote: »
    Possible major boo boo by FG

I dont think Lee has the personality for Politics.

Who of the present bunch have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I feel a little relieved today having been told by a friend that her dad ran George Lee on Monday. He didn't know the issues apart from the economy and expects to take the seat on his name and apparently didn't come across well on the doorstep.

Jesus, have you any clue at all? 'didn't know the issues apart from the economy'...that is the single dumbest statement I have seen to date on boards.ie. FFS every single issue is governed by the economy - health, education, justice system, transport, etc...every single one, it all comes down to the economy and every one of these areas is facing severe cutbacks because of the state of the economy. Nothing can be done without money. And who do we have as finance minister, the most important job in the country apart from Taoiseach, some guy who was appointed based on his friendship with the Taoiseach, not because of his financial knowledge. He doesn't have any economic background at all, he's has zero financial experience. You wouldn't get that crap anywhere else, one of the most important jobs in the country going to a guy who has zero experience in the relevant field.

George Lee has an excellent economic background and would actually be to able to do the job of Finance minister without relying completely on civil servants as Lenihan does. And as for relying on his name, lol, are you high or something, who exactly is he running against again? Yes, Shay Brennan, a guy with no track record of doing anything who is running completely on his father's name. George Lee's name is well known not because of his father but because of his track record as an economist.

It sounds to me like you get a buzz out of going against the grain and being a bit of a rebel supporting FF these days when everyone else is (rightly) criticizing them for their obvious incompetence and corruption. I thought originally you must've been one of these auld retards that vote for the same party no matter because that's what your family has done for generations. But I saw in another thread you are only 22 so all I can say is you badly need to cop on to yourself and grow out of your pathetic rebellion phase.
    Do you think these issues might have anything to do with the economy and lack of money? Have a good think about it because obviously it isn't obvious to you if you come out with a statement like 'didn't know the issues apart from the economy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I know im going off topic here but I have to clear a few things from Marshy's post
    Marshy wrote: »

Cowen has been a disappointment, no doubt. He has come up against the greatest global economic downturn in about 80 years at the same time.

People shouldnt be using the global economic downturn as an excuse. Alot of our economic problems were caused by our own politicians and remember Brian Cowen was Minister for finance during the good economic times. He has alot to answer for in relation to our economic decline.
    Marshy wrote: »
    I disagree, no-one automatically deserves a shot at Taoiseach, they have to earn it and I don't think he has.

And Brian Cowen earned his role as Toaiseach? And Mary Coughlan earned her role as tainiste? I didnt hear much people grumpling at the time with the change in the FF cabinet. But the evidance is there to be seen that the above have been nothing but a disaster.

You cant assume Enda couldnt be an effective politician without evidance. He hasnt been taoiseach as of yet so he still has an opportunity to proove you wrong. His dail experience alone is a good enough reason why I believe he has the leadership qualities. He cant do any worse than whats there already.

Back to the Lee debate, I cant see why anyone would vote for Shay Breenan, he doesnt have any creditable policies only more of the same of the typical FF bulls**t which people are truly sick of at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

lol, of course he expects to take the seat based on his name. Everyone knows his name because of his economic credentials. What do you think he wants people to vote for him based on..his favourite color? His favourite pop band?

Tbh, it is quite laughable that a FF canvasser is grumbling about an economic expert who has built up a credible reputation in his field going forwards "on his name" - his own highly respected name that he has made for himself due to his ability! It should be praised not sniffed at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

teednab-el wrote: »
    People shouldnt be using the global economic downturn as an excuse. Alot of our economic problems were caused by our own politicians and remember Brian Cowen was Minister for finance during the good economic times. He has alot to answer for in relation to our economic decline.
    Yes, Cowen and the government have a lot to answer for but his tenure as Taoiseach has to be put in context. Look at other counties like Iceland who's economy has totally collapsed, even the UK who has had to save banks like we have. It frustrates me too when one constantly hears FF politicians blame our problems solely on a global recession but its unfair at the same time to say they're just down to their incompetence.
    And Brian Cowen earned his role as Toaiseach? And Mary Coughlan earned her role as tainiste? I didnt hear much people grumpling at the time with the change in the FF cabinet. But the evidance is there to be seen that the above have been nothing but a disaster.
    This was dealt with earlier in the thread if you cared to read it. Cowen has clearly proved he's not up to the job and Coughlan too. In an ideal world the Taoiseach would be the person best suited for the job(therefore earning it) but in this case it hasn't happened. Thats not to say having Enda(equally if not more incompetent imo) should become an undeserveing Taoiseach next time.
    You cant assume Enda couldnt be an effective politician without evidance. He hasnt been taoiseach as of yet so he still has an opportunity to proove you wrong. His dail experience alone is a good enough reason why I believe he has the leadership qualities. He cant do any worse than whats there already.
    Again this was discussed earlier in the thread and I gave my reasoning why I think he'd be as bad if not worse.

So every politican should be a jack of all trades, knowledgable to a high degree about economics, finance, education, healthcare, finance, law etc?

Which are Shay Brennan an expert in?

PS: The issues you listed aren't "local" issues, as they aren't pertaining to that local area.

Tragedy wrote: »
    So every politican should be a jack of all trades, knowledgable to a high degree about economics, finance, education, healthcare, finance, law etc?

Which are Shay Brennan an expert in?

PS: The issues you listed aren't "local" issues, as they aren't pertaining to that local area.

Someone asked what national issues existed. My whole point was they're not local....they're national issues and as such as an aspiring legislator in the national lower house, you should have a grasp of national issues.

And I'm sick of this bull**** that George Lee is running on his credentials as an economist, he's running on the fact people have had his name piped into their cars and houses ad-nauseum in the course of his job as a broadcaster over the past number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

As opposed to what exactly? Are you seriously trying to suggest that the fact that he's somewhat famous is more relevant to him running for election than the fact that he's a respected economist?!

Sure they even know about him in India?!:p

http://07by12.blogspot.com/

(vimeo video there that I can't insert into the post)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

And I'm sick of this bull**** that George Lee is running on his credentials as an economist, he's running on the fact people have had his name piped into their cars and houses ad-nauseum in the course of his job as a broadcaster over the past number of years.

I'm calling bull**** on this

people seem to like the idea of an economist compared to someone who's only credentials is that he worked in a bank that collapsed, and is the son of the former TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

Someone asked what national issues existed. My whole point was they're not local....they're national issues and as such as an aspiring legislator in the national lower house, you should have a grasp of national issues.

God almight, you are making yourself look dumber by the minute. Why has George Lees name been 'piped into their cars and houses' for a number of years? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't because of his singing or dancing skills.....It's because of his excellent background in economics leading to a position as RTE's economics editor. What is Shay Brennan known for? Having a father who was a TD. Just like many other FF party members who were voted in purely on their family name. George Lee isn't looking for votes based on his family's name, he's looking for them based on the name he made for himself in the world of economics. Do you realise how dumb it sounds to be complaining about the possibilty of an expert in the field of economics getting elected, especially in the present climate.

ninty9er, you keep changing your tune as soon as someone calls you up on what you say.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take it that you're one of those poor benighted fools who follow a political party no matter what. My sincere condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Ah now, it's a bit rude to accuse ninety9er of being a troll.

There aren't many people that are able to illuminate for us the thought processes of a staunch Fianna Fail-er and whilst I disagree with ninety9er completely on choice of party, they have the right to say anything they like. And we have the right to call bullsh1t, as above.

I'd much prefer that we could engage with ninety9er about policies and change his/her mind about things, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

It would be great if more Fianna Fail supporters were posting on boards, but they do seem very shy and often get beaten down with opposing opinions. I don't think I've even seen one change their allegiance though, which is very surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

teednab-el, I politely suggest you remove the troll comment. I did the same once and got busted by the nice moderator. It's against the charter.

Apparently all comments real or absurd have to be dealt with as seriously as if Obama or someone with an idea in their head was writing them.

But back to the point, what are George Lee's qualifications? Better to ask what are Brennan's qualifications. Well....let's see, the only important one. Son of Seamus Brennan. Typical Fianna Fail, constituencies handed down Father to Son, Daughter, Brother, Cousin. We apparently have a hereditary democracy.

What about Alex White, hmm a barrister and he worked for RTE. So we have a choice of ex RTE workers.

Well I suppose it's better than all the teachers the Dail is infested with. What qualifications do they have to run the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

teednab-el, I politely suggest you remove the troll comment. I did the same once and got busted by the nice moderator. It's against the charter.

Apparently all comments real or absurd have to be dealt with as seriously as if Obama or someone with an idea in their head was writing them.

But back to the point, what are George Lee's qualifications? Better to ask what are Brennan's qualifications. Well....let's see, the only important one. Son of Seamus Brennan. Typical Fianna Fail, constituencies handed down Father to Son, Daughter, Brother, Cousin. We apparently have a hereditary democracy.

What about Alex White, hmm a barrister and he worked for RTE. So we have a choice of ex RTE workers.

Well I suppose it's better than all the teachers the Dail is infested with. What qualifications do they have to run the country?

Eh George Lee worked as an economist in some shape or form previous to RTE and has also worked for the Central Bank. So unlike Mr Lenihan, HE DOES have the required qualifications to be minister of finance.

Whats wrong with ex RTE workers?! As far as I'm aware Jesus, Superman nor Harvey Dent are in the running so Il settle for ex RTE worker Lee anyday. Whatever the fook difference that makes.

edanto wrote: »
    Ah now, it's a bit rude to accuse ninety9er of being a troll.

There aren't many people that are able to illuminate for us the thought processes of a staunch Fianna Fail-er and whilst I disagree with ninety9er completely on choice of party, they have the right to say anything they like. And we have the right to call bullsh1t, as above.

I'd much prefer that we could engage with ninety9er about policies and change his/her mind about things, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

It would be great if more Fianna Fail supporters were posting on boards, but they do seem very shy and often get beaten down with opposing opinions. I don't think I've even seen one change their allegiance though, which is very surprising.

And until such time the nice people of the politics forum get their heads out of their arses and see that I'm posting as I see and not to troll I'm out of here. I stopped posting on politics.ie because it's populated by crackpots, but it seems that many of them have figured out how to use more than one website.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭truebluedub

The difference between Alex White and George Lee is that the senator has been academically published in the field of sociology, unlike Mr. Lee whose main claim to economic expertise is as a journalist supported by having worked in a bank.

And until such time the nice people of the politics forum get their heads out of their arses and see that I'm posting as I see and not to troll I'm out of here. I stopped posting on politics.ie because it's populated by crackpots, but it seems that many of them have figured out how to use more than one website.:rolleyes:
    No-one actually called you a troll.

• Advertisement

Mr. Lee whose main claim to economic expertise is as a journalist supported by having worked in a bank.

Actually that is pretty misleading on your part. According to his page on the FG site, he was a senior economist with Riada stockbrokers, treasury economist with FTI and a senior economist with the Bank of Ireland. He was also named journalist of the year for his uncovering of a major banking scandal at NIB and has a MSc from the highly respected London School of Economics.

Many people have a lot of respect for Lee and I'm afraid the words "academically published" aren't really going to change that. Clearly he just didn't choose to work in a third level institution, for whatever reasons. I'm sure you don't honestly think he wouldn't have the option.

Advertisement