Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Away so long you forget...

Options
  • 05-05-2009 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

...the prices at home?

Sorry didn't know where to put this one, but this is the main forum I visit so said I'd put it here!

Anyone else in the same boat as me where you've been away for a while and forget the price of things at home? I'm mostly talking about stuff you'd buy in a shop/supermarket.

It's mildliy disturbing as I've been away under 3 years, but I've lost all sense of how much stuff costs at home - I guess I just didn't do my own shopping as much then as I do now.

Just now I went into the canteen and bought a Twix in the vending machine, for which I paid $2. I can't for the life of me remember even how much a bar of chocolate costs in Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Derek B wrote: »
    ...the prices at home?

Sorry didn't know where to put this one, but this is the main forum I visit so said I'd put it here!

Anyone else in the same boat as me where you've been away for a while and forget the price of things at home? I'm mostly talking about stuff you'd buy in a shop/supermarket.

It's mildliy disturbing as I've been away under 3 years, but I've lost all sense of how much stuff costs at home - I guess I just didn't do my own shopping as much then as I do now.

Just now I went into the canteen and bought a Twix in the vending machine, for which I paid $2. I can't for the life of me remember even how much a bar of chocolate costs in Ireland!

80 or 90 c as far as i remember !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Derek B wrote: »
    ...the prices at home?

Nope, I still remember generally how much things cost at home. I also still convert things to euro in my head even though I've been living in NZ for a year, earning NZ dollars. It's a way I have of justifying buying things for myself, I just say "sure, that's only x euro". It's terrible!

What I'd like is my Irish salary converted to NZD. That'd be awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

watna wrote: »
    I also still convert things to euro in my head even though I've been living in NZ for a year, earning NZ dollars. It's a way I have of justifying buying things for myself, I just say "sure, that's only x euro". It's terrible!

I think everyone does that and I'm no different. But there came a time (for me anyway) where I'd passed the point where I thought I could justify purchases like that. I know there's been plenty of times where I've been in a supermarket and picked up a few bits and pieces, and thought to myself how much more expensive (factoring the conversion) the basket would have cost me at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah my girlfriend used to go mental at me for comparing prices back to euros to see were we getting a good deal like go for a meal and think to myself "wow I paid ten euros for a full dinner in a restaurant" but then the reality is im earning half what i was back home so it doesnt work that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

NZ is not the best for wages, but the lifestyle and standard of living is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

You said it. The view of the pacific from my room in the morning is enough to make me not care much about money or new stuff any more....enjoying life is what's important and its very easy enjoy life here. Even when its pouring rain like today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i was quick to stop comparing prices to euros on all things but socks, undies and pjs. i just can't bring myself to spend $12 on what are the cheapest socks i can find. yes, it's only €6, but teh consequences of that one is just getting the mammy to send over some of penny's finest.

went back home last july/aug and couldnt believe that i could buy packets of skittles for less than a euro!they're around $2.30 in most places here that aren't supermarkets (and the two pac'n'saves nearest me dont have normal sized skittles :mad:) so it felt weird getting change of a euro back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when I went home last I went to pay for stuff in an Aussie note ... I was mortified, :o

But I have no idea what milk, bread, and a paper costs at home in my head everything is a euro!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I can never get over how some Irish people think Sydney is an expensive city. ffs where in the hell have they come from? Ireland is all 30 dollar pizza, 14 dollar McDonalds meals, 10 dollar pints, need I go on. What I like the best about here is that everything bar accomadation is essentially half the price of back home, yet the wages are near on the same.

Of course, the sheer regularlity with which you visit the pub means you spend tons and save FA. Still, at least a few after work scoops are affordable. Ive no intention of going back home until Ireland stands up to business greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I still get caught out when I fly home, I never carry enough cash. Bloody eftpos has trained me to only carry a few dollars of change in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rabies wrote: »
    I still get caught out when I fly home, I never carry enough cash. Bloody eftpos has trained me to only carry a few dollars of change in my pocket.

Ahh but Laser (Irish Eftpos) is catching on, lots of places now have it.
    But the greedy banks are shafting shops that have it with onerous little charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm in the opposite situation (an aussie living in Ireland) and I find the opposite! I went home for Christmas and found everything so expensive in OZ compared to Ireland! I don't (and never have) converted the prices when I'm considering buying something - what's the point - I'm earing and spending euros, not australian dollars. If I'm on holidays then that's a different matter.

On a dollar to dollar comparision my salary is pretty much the same in Ireland as it was in Australia (ie/ if I was earning $50000 AUD I'm now earning 50000 euro) so what I look at is the percentage/proportion of my salary that something costs me. For example, I can get good work pants in Debenhems for 35 euro. Those same pants would cost me $70. So if I compared and said, well that's roughly 35 euro, then you'd say it is on par, but I look at it and say, from my take home pay, those pants have now just cost double in OZ, which means I have $35 less in my wallet. Same with cake & coffee - went out in OZ while i was home and it cost me $9(!) again, double from my salary what it would cost me here in Ireland. At the end of the day, I definately have more disposable income here in Ireland than I did when I was living in Oz and that is the test for me.

Mel.b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm in the opposite situation (an aussie living in Ireland) and I find the opposite! I went home for Christmas and found everything so expensive in OZ compared to Ireland! I don't (and never have) converted the prices when I'm considering buying something - what's the point - I'm earing and spending euros, not australian dollars. If I'm on holidays then that's a different matter.

On a dollar to dollar comparision my salary is pretty much the same in Ireland as it was in Australia (ie/ if I was earning $50000 AUD I'm now earning 50000 euro) so what I look at is the percentage/proportion of my salary that something costs me. For example, I can get good work pants in Debenhems for 35 euro. Those same pants would cost me $70. So if I compared and said, well that's roughly 35 euro, then you'd say it is on par, but I look at it and say, from my take home pay, those pants have now just cost double in OZ, which means I have $35 less in my wallet. Same with cake & coffee - went out in OZ while i was home and it cost me $9(!) again, double from my salary what it would cost me here in Ireland. At the end of the day, I definately have more disposable income here in Ireland than I did when I was living in Oz and that is the test for me.

Mel.b

True Melbourne is more expensive than Ireland at present ...

Still you cant buy a slab for 20 euro ($40.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I wouldn't have the foggiest because its been so long since I was there .. pushing 10 years now. I don't even know what a Euro looks like!

Advertisement