Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin: Friendliest city?

• 05-05-2009 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Did anyone else see this on the RTE news?

Apparently Dublin is the friendliest city.

It's also the third worst dressed city, with London topping that vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its the friendliest compared to some places I've been to. Never thought I'd say it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its certainly friendly compared to london or paris.
    Why,just this morning somebody asked me directions and i was proper friendly to them,like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

Degsy wrote: »
    Its certainly friendly compared to london or paris.
    Why,just this morning somebody asked me directions and i was proper friendly to them,like.

you might just have made the differance there Degsy ;) fair play to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a link OP?
    This from 2007 mention Ireland being friendly http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1017/tourism.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Private Dancer

Magnus wrote: »
    Do you have a link OP?

here it is

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/

8th topic down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

jesus, its certainly the unfriendliest in ireland, that seems to happen to all big cities though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

These were the results of the survey of more than 1,100 travellers:

Best Bargain European City: 1. Prague 2. Budapest 3. Lisbon

Most Expensive European City: 1. London 2. Paris 3. Rome, Venice, Oslo, Moscow

European City with the Most Friendly and Helpful Locals: 1. Dublin 2. Amsterdam 3. London

European City with the Best Cuisine: 1. Paris 2. Rome 3. Florence

European City with the Best Shopping: 1. Paris 2. London 3. Rome

European City with the Best Nightlife: 1. London 2. Amsterdam 3. Paris

European City with the Best Public Parks: 1. London 2. Paris 3. Barcelona, Amsterdam, Copenhagen

Most Romantic European City: 1. Paris 2. Venice 3. Rome

European City with the Most Attractive Locals: 1. Rome 2. Paris 3. Stockholm

Cleanest European City: 1. Zurich 2. Copenhagen 3. Stockholm

Dirtiest European City: 1. London 2. Paris 3. Rome, Athens (tie)

European City with the Most Unfriendly Hosts: 1. Paris 2. London 3. Moscow

Most Boring European City: 1. Brussels 2. Zurich, Oslo, Warsaw, Zagreb.
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

have to disagree on there best night life.. i went to paris a few months ago on a thursday night and we had to search the town for a good pub.. it was shocking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

European City with the Most Friendly and Helpful Locals: 1. Dublin 2. Amsterdam 3. London

European City with the Most Unfriendly Hosts: 1. Paris 2. London 3. Moscow

Hmmm ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

London is fabulous and everyone was well dressed when I was there.

Paris on the other hand is a toilet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Tsk tsk, Liverpool was the culture capital for Europe in 2008, and it's no where to be seen on that list.:p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Did anyboody hear the American woman that was on the radio about it yesterday. She thought the place was full of hookers until she realised it was wimmins dressed up for a night out!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Was Cork mentioned anywhere or is it not regarded as a City?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Was Cork mentioned anywhere or is it not regarded as a City?

Doubt it, as it is not the capital city of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Apprently Cork only came fifth in the category "European City with the Most Langers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Saibh wrote: »
    Doubt it, as it is not the capital city of Ireland
    Where does it mention it has to be a capital city?

Venice isn't the capital of Italy but is still in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm surprised not to see somewhere like Berlin in for friendly people and good nightlife. A night there compared with Dublin... You meet a load of new people most places you go. they don't look at you weird if you chat to them and just as often they will begin a chat with you.
    Barcelona gets my vote for one of the dirtiest cities. well they do have people constantly cleaning but with the heat and the inner city air you feel really dirty and too often the place stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Offically Ireland has only one city, Dublin.

Suck it Cork people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Apprently Cork only came fifth in the category "European City with the Most Langers"
    :mad: :(
    Gutted we didn't come first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Dudess wrote: »
    :mad: :(
    Gutted we didn't come first...

You came first in the category "European city with the biggest inferiority complex" tho. So well done!

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where does it mention it has to be a cpaital city?

Venice isn't the capital of Italy but is still in it.

Didn't read the full survey.

Anyway there was only about 1,100 people surveyed, which isn't a lot really.

Dublin voted friendliest city

Dublin is the friendliest city in Europe, a new survey by travel website TripAdvisor has found.

This is the second year running that Dublin has taken the honour, with Paris named least friendly city.

“Dublin is well worth a visit – the locals were so warm and friendly and made me so welcome,” said one TripAdvisor reviewer.

According to the survey of almost 2,400 travellers, London is the dirtiest city in Europe, home to the worst-dressed people and the most expensive. The capital also has the worst food.

It was the second-year running that London had been voted the dirtiest European city.

The UK capital took the unwanted accolade by a huge margin, with 36 per cent reckoning London was the dirtiest — well ahead of Paris in second place with 9 per cent.

However, the French capital did not come off any better, with travellers saying it was overrated and the second-most expensive.

But both popular destinations redeemed themselves in the online poll, with Paris voted as having the best cuisine and best-dressed people, while London was seen as having the best nightlife, best public parks and most free attractions.

"Europe's capital cities all have their highs and lows, but no other continent offers travellers' such a wealth of culture and sights within such short distances," TripAdvisor spokesman Luke Fredberg said.

"The warm welcome that travellers receive in Dublin makes the city a great choice for holiday-makers seeking both fantastic sights and friendly locals."

Venice beat both Paris and Rome as Europe's most romantic destination, but it was also voted the third-most expensive, after Paris and London.

The health-conscious may prefer Denmark's Copenhagen, voted the Europe's cleanest city.

Prague was picked as the best bargain destination, while people seeking visual treats should head for Spain's Barcelona, but avoid Warsaw in Poland, which were seen as the cities with the best and worst architecture respectively.

And the most boring city? Travellers voted for the Belgian capital Brussels, with Switzerland's Zurich a close-runner up.

Link: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0504/breaking14.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Even if Dublin topped all of these categories it would still be ****e to be honest.

Also can't believe Berlin wasn't mentioned! I just think every city in Germany in better than any other city as it's just such a nice place. Furthermore I think Germany should rule the world as they are superior in every ways to the rest of us....... Oh wait..

On serious note. Berlin has easily the best nightlife and friendly locals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

These were the results of the survey of more than 1,100 travellers

I didn't think that they ever went anywhere.

Another stereotype smashed in my book

I didn't think that they ever went anywhere.

Another stereotype smashed in my book

In this case it means travellers as in people who travel on holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Maybe Dub's are friendlier to foreigners but they're the biggest shower of cocky cnuts to fellow irish people. Unless you are also from Dublin yourself of course :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Well apparently we fart alot.

Also, I doubt Mr Andreas Nagelsett feels the same.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=mhojidcwcwql&c=ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Asmodean wrote: »
    Maybe Dub's are friendlier to foreigners but they're the biggest shower of cocky cnuts to fellow irish people. Unless you are also from Dublin yourself of course :p

That's probably it, though I will say many people I had to approach Friday night in Dublin to take their picture (for the venue's website) were pretty friendly. Suppose it's where you go and what type of crowd but majority of time, cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Lived for over a year in Berlin and around 3 months in Amsterdam. Berlin destroys Amsterdam when it comes to night life. And before anyone mentions weed, any place that is worth going to here you can smoke no problem. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Berlin is no where on the list so I say this is totally bullcrap inaccurate reporting.
    These were the results of the survey of more than 1,100 travellers:

Best Bargain European City: 1. Prague 2. Budapest 3. Lisbon

European City with the Best Cuisine: 1. Paris 2. Rome 3. Florence

European City with the Best Shopping: 1. Paris 2. London 3. Rome

European City with the Best Nightlife: 1. London 2. Amsterdam 3. Paris

European City with the Best Public Parks: 1. London 2. Paris 3. Barcelona, Amsterdam, Copenhagen

Most Romantic European City: 1. Paris 2. Venice 3. Rome

European City with the Most Attractive Locals: 1. Rome 2. Paris 3. Stockholm

Cleanest European City: 1. Zurich 2. Copenhagen 3. Stockholm

[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

I agree with worst dressed: I spent nearly 3 hours trying to find a decent jacket yesterday, and came home with zilch. Everythings made out of goddam plastic, we might as well wrap ourselves in cling film!

Funny how Zuich is the second most boring city but also the cleanest city in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

In this case it means travellers as in people who travel on holidays!

They can go wherever they want in their caravans.

Who am I to judge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Anyway there was only about 1,100 people surveyed, which isn't a lot really.
    True, also I wonder how many of those surveyed have visited alot of European cities over the last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I agree with worst dressed: I spent nearly 3 hours trying to find a decent jacket yesterday, and came home with zilch. Everythings made out of goddam plastic, we might as well wrap ourselves in cling film!

Please dont...loads of clingfilm wrapped Dubliners would not make a pretty sight.

This survey is completly inaccurate, a base of 1,100? Not worth anything tbh!

• Advertisement

LadyE wrote: »
    Please dont...loads of clingfilm wrapped Dubliners would not make a pretty sight.

This survey is completly inaccurate, a base of 1,100? Not worth anything tbh!

Well in the Irish times it say's
    ''According to the survey of almost 2,400 travellers''

But even still that's a relatively low number for a survey like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I agree, even 2,400 is stupidly low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

thats because people are uploading last years survey :p

this year dublin was voted 3rd most boring city and 3rd most over-rated http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/dublin-voted-friendliest-capital-ndash-but-so-overrated-and-boring-90955.html

and lol at someone here saying barcelona is dirty

this year dublin was voted 3rd most boring city and 3rd most over-rated http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/dublin-voted-friendliest-capital-ndash-but-so-overrated-and-boring-90955.html

I didn't look at the date of the link I posted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Most Boring European City: 1. Brussels 2. Zurich, Oslo, Warsaw, Zagreb.

A well deserved title, I've never been to a more sterile place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If they think london has the worst food they can't be taken seriously. Its the most multicultural place going, how could it have sh*t food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dublin: Friendliest city. Just don't talk to the locals for too long or they will start telling you how crap it is and that <insert any other city> is far superior and they know because they once passed through it on the way to Lanzarote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"European City with the Most Unfriendly Hosts: 1. Paris 2. London 3. Moscow"

Agree with Paris, haven't been to Moscow yet, but they are dead wrong about London! I always have fun there, but perhaps it's cause I have lots of friends I can stay with and party? And getting around in London using the tube is a piece of cake, unlike most big cities in USA where public transport is pitiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

"European City with the Most Unfriendly Hosts: 1. Paris 2. London 3. Moscow"

Agree with Paris, haven't been to Moscow yet, but they are dead wrong about London! I always have fun there, but perhaps it's cause I have lots of friends I can stay with and party? And getting around in London using the tube is a piece of cake, unlike most big cities in USA where public transport is pitiful.

I've only been to NY and Boston but never had any real issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

phasers wrote: »
    London is fabulous and everyone was well dressed when I was there.

Paris on the other hand is a toilet

Gotta agree with the London quote there. Everyone looked great and were nice.

rossie1977 wrote: »

and lol at someone here saying barcelona is dirty

The links I posted are both this years survey's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Dublin is pretty friendly on the street, though as for restaurants and shops, not so much. All European cities I've been to pale in comparison with any American city in that regard, though. There's just something self-regarding and slightly awkward about people here compared to there, where they're generally friendly by default.

London's the best in a load of those categories though, I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Karlusss wrote: »
    Dublin is pretty friendly on the street, though as for restaurants and shops, not so much. All European cities I've been to pale in comparison with any American city in that regard, though. There's just something self-regarding and slightly awkward about people here compared to there, where they're generally friendly by default.

I've been to NY a few times now for varying lengths of time, and I can't say I agree.

I wouldn't say it's distinctly unfriendly, but not distinctly friendly either. I came across rude and impatient 'help' in shops and cafes on a number of occasions in NY. Even at my Hotel on one visit, the staff didn't seem particularly outgoing or happy/friendly (and this was the fricking Essex on Central Park, supposedly one of the best hotels in the city). But maybe I was just unlucky..?

I haven't spent much time in the US outside of NY though, so maybe it's not typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

there is nothing cheap about budapest and were thier a category of least friendly city , it would own the top 3

irish_bob wrote: »
    there is nothing cheap about budapest and were thier a category of least friendly city , it would own the top 3

That link is from 2008 which was already pointed out in this thread.

Results from 2009 survey in this post

• Advertisement
Advertisement