Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscope

Options
  • 05-05-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had a stomach endoscope before? I need to have one done and have been told I will be sedated for it. I'm very nervous about this procedure and would like to hear from people who've had it done before. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I've had several. It was completely painless. Not even uncomfortable. You won't know that you've had anything done at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here again, I was told also you have to swallow the camera, is this while youre sedated? do u feel anything? what is the sedation like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hi,

I have had several of these. They sedate you so that you do not remember a thing - it really is not bad, though I found that I was very groggy afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

If you have stong personality - they can be done without sedation so you can drive home afterwards.

Which means the sensation of having it done is unpleasant, but the procedure itself isn't.

Don't worry - people always get sedation unless you ask otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

DrIndy wrote: »
    If you have stong personality - they can be done without sedation so you can drive home afterwards.

Which means the sensation of having it done is unpleasant, but the procedure itself isn't.

Don't worry - people always get sedation unless you ask otherwise.
    Personally I would not reccomend doing it without sedation, they tried that with me when I was 11 and had to sedate me in the end, it is very, very unplesant if you are not sedated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've had several endoscopes done in the past.

The norm is sedation- rather than general anesthetic. You are awake- but do not remember what you have gone through. They also normally give you something to drink- which is effectively a topical anesthetic- it numbs your throat- making it easier for them to get you to swallow the optical camera.

The specific treatment will vary from person to person- and will take into account any reactions they may have, or prior medical history.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Hi OP,

I've had 2 gastroscopies one with sedation and one without.

I will be honest with you...without sedation the procedure isn't painful but it is uncomfortable, I was gagging a bit. It's nothing major, I could cope with it. :)

Although the downside of getting sedated is that after the procedure you will probably be moved to the recovery room and will be out for hours. You will also probably need someone to accompany you home and no driving etc.

In my experience, the hospital will send you a letter (one to two weeks before the procedure) detailing exactly what the procedure entails. Usually you will have to fast in the morning .

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here again,thanks for all your replies,I appreciate your help. Im just a bit nervous about the whole thing,don't like being proded and poked at but I really need it,in a lot of pain at the moment!!I already got my appointment letter from the hospital and it was very brief so hopefully they will send me out more details soon.

Thanks everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously suggest you ring them up and get them to clarify exactly what they propose to do. Don't worry too much though- I was terrified the first time I got it done- but afterwards I was actually relieved. Doctors are often not the best at voluntarily imparting information- but if you have any questions at all- ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Don't worry too much OP. I had one and found that it was fine and not at all scarey.I do remember it despite having had sedation but at the time it all seemed to pass in a matter of seconds.

I had mine as an out patient so it was done in a clinic where there were several people there at the same time having it done. There were 5 other people before me and I saw all of them come out and be fine. One was a girl of 10! Some slept after and others just rested for 15 mins and then had tea and toast and went home. I didn't sleep after mine. You feel a little wooly headed like you've just taken a cough bottle that makes you drowsy but for me it was nothing more severe than that. You will probably sleep when you go home but the feeling is quite pleasant.

I agree with smccarraig. If you have questions ring up and ask as doctors tell you very little unless they're prompted by you to do otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement