Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edit this boot.ini file for me

• 05-05-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I want to swap the boot order:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

eman66 wrote: »
    I want to swap the boot order:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    Strange, there is only one OS to Boot but it's the incorrect partition, this is how it should be:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I made that change and now Windows wont boot at all :(. Saved boot.ini first. Recovery console gives the option of 1. C:\winnt but when I click enter to chose this installation, the system reboots.:(

If I chose a Repair install setup cannot find a windows install to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I made that change and now Windows wont boot at all :(. Saved boot.ini first. Recovery console gives the option of 1. C:\winnt but when I click enter to chose this installation, the system reboots.:(

If I chose a Repair install setup cannot find a windows install to repair.

Go back to the recovery console and run fixboot then fixmbr then retry the repair installation. If this doesn't work go back to recovery console once more and run chkdsk /f and when that completes(could take a while) retry the repair installation.

Made a mistake above. Should have pressed 1. isntead of enter restoring the old copy of boot.ini now.

Before I made the change in cpu-dude's post I made a copy of the boot.ini file called boot.sav. In the recovery console I renamed boot.ini to boot.old and renamed boot.sav to boot.ini. When I reboot I get an "invalid boot.ini" message.

Would chkdsk fix boot.ini?

• Advertisement

Before I made the change in cpu-dude's post I made a copy of the boot.ini file called boot.sav. In the recovery console I renamed boot.ini to boot.old and renamed boot.sav to boot.ini. When I reboot I get an "invalid boot.ini" message.

Would chkdsk fix boot.ini?
    Run two commands to sort this:

FIXBOOT
    FIXMBR

Ran both. Still not booting and getting "invalid boot.ini file" message.

Ran both. Still not booting and getting "invalid boot.ini file" message.
    Restore the original boot.ini file (boot.old) and try it again.

What's happening now is:

C:\WINNT> dir c:
    boot.ini
    boot.old

C:\WINNT> ren c:\boot.ini boot.jod
    The system cannot find the file or directory specified

C:\WINNT> attrib -h c:\boot.ini

What's happening now is:

C:\WINNT> dir c:
    boot.ini
    boot.old

C:\WINNT> ren c:\boot.ini boot.jod

Shouldn't you be renaming boot.old to boot.tmp, deleting the boot.ini and then restoring boot.tmp to boot.ini?

C:\WINNT> ren c:\boot.old boot.tmp

C:\WINNT> del c:\boot.ini

C:\WINNT> ren c:\boot.tmp boot.ini

• Advertisement

Think we'd end up with the same result, just going a different way about it.

ren c:\boot.old boot.tmp gives the same "The system cannot find the file or directory specified" message.

Think we'd end up with the same result, just going a different way about it.

ren c:\boot.old boot.tmp gives the same "The system cannot find the file or directory specified" message.
    Strange. How did you end up with the boot problem in the first place?

Have you ran CHKDSK /x /r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

There is some confusion over directories here. You are running your commands from C:\WINNT so unless you specify which directory a file is in it will default to this directory. BOOT.INI is typically in C:\. When you run dir c: it lists the files in C:\WINNT. It appears that BOOT.INI is in this directory - copy it to C:\ and try again.

db wrote: »
    There is some confusion over directories here. You are running your commands from C:\WINNT so unless you specify which directory a file is in it will default to this directory. BOOT.INI is typically in C:\. When you run dir c: it lists the files in C:\WINNT. It appears that BOOT.INI is in this directory - copy it to C:\ and try again.
    I think your right, he needs to:

C:\WINNT> cd C:\

Then:

C:\ ren c:\boot.old boot.tmp

C:\ del c:\boot.ini

C:\ ren c:\boot.tmp boot.ini

C:\ attrib -h c:\boot.ini

And then:

FIXBOOT
    FIXMBR

This machine was always on for years, monitoring a telephone system. I set it to auto reboot early in the morning. That when it first stopped loading windows. The OS had to be manually selected using the arrow key to boot.

The only chkdsk parameters available are /P and /R.

This machine was always on for years, monitoring a telephone system. I set it to auto reboot early in the morning. That when it first stopped loading windows. The OS had to be manually selected using the arrow key to boot.
    Did you see my previous comment?

OK back up again. Thanks.

Back to the original boot.ini file that prompts for an OS even thought there's only one installed.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]

OK back up again. Thanks.

Back to the original boot.ini file that prompts for an OS even thought there's only one installed.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Ok well then edit it within Windows and turn off the option to display the list of operating systems for 30 seconds:

r00220010518eje01_01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Seems to me that the default option is incorrect.
    If you set the timeout to 0 then the system will not boot the default OS
    The option to manually select operating system is pointing to the correct location it seems, so it should just be a matter of editing the default line to read default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT instead of default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

Advertisement