Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem for a laptop?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

The onboard modem on my laptop is not working anymore so I am wondering can I get a modem that connects to the USB port?
    I know you can get a COM1 port modem but a lappie doesn't have COM ports.
    Is there a way I can convert COM1 to USB? I'm sure I can get something on the 'net but I kind of need it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

lukin wrote: »
    The onboard modem on my laptop is not working anymore so I am wondering can I get a modem that connects to the USB port?
    I know you can get a COM1 port modem but a lappie doesn't have COM ports.
    Is there a way I can convert COM1 to USB? I'm sure I can get something on the 'net but I kind of need it now.
    How about we troubleshoot the modem first, how do you mean it's not working? Does is show up in your Device Manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

pc world do usb modems for about 30 euro,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

cpu-dude wrote: »
    How about we troubleshoot the modem first, how do you mean it's not working? Does is show up in your Device Manager?

Yeah it's there, tried updating the driver by putting in the driver CD but it said it couldn't find a better match for the one that was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah it's there, tried updating the driver by putting in the driver CD but it said it couldn't find a better match for the one that was there.
    And what happens when you try dial up to a connection? Do you get an error code? If so, what is it?

Advertisement