Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stir-fry sauces

• 05-05-2009 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations on a stir-fry sauce. I was in marks and spencers and they were doing little pots. The lariska (spelling probably wrong) sauce was 8.7 grams of carb with 8.1 as sugars per 100ml. Sugar was fifth ingrediant.

I'm looking to make a beef or chicken stir-fry with Chinese leafs and peppers. No noddles or rice. Just need advice on how bad this sauce is (seems a lot sugars) and maybe alternatives?

Thanks in advance,

Gummy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

I had stir fry over the weekend that was done in no time and absolutely delicious.

I'd marinated the chicken in a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, cloves, cinammon and cardamom. Bunged it in a plastic bag and left it in the fridge overnight.

I fried up some ginger, garlic, fresh red chilli and sliced onion in some peanut oil. Threw in the chicken, some dried chillies seeds (for an extra kick!), mangetout, julienne carrots and mushrooms. Added some soy sauce and cooked for less than ten minutes, until the chicken was done. The result is an incredibly tasty, crunchy, healthy feast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I use tinned tomatoes and add my own spices. Sometimes I add a little water to thin out the sauce but it's healthier than most shop bought sauces I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm defo going to try these out.

Smk, would you just add curry powder to the tomatoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I usually choose from curry powder, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, garam masala, cumin. You can add one or more and just experiment with the different flavours. I just use whatever takes my fancy when I'm cooking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Buy some groundnut oil. stirfry oil made by lakeshore is nice too (in tesco etc).

Cut up meat (chicken, pork etc) nice and small.
    Sprinkle a bit of chinese five spice mix on the meat, set aside.
    Heat oil in the wok - high temp, fry onion, add peppers, add mangetout or green beans and whatever else you might like. This should take a few minutes max.

Throw in the meat and fry until its just cooked through (take out a piece and cut in half to check if necessary)
    Immediately add noodles, soy sauce and oyster sauce, fry for another few seconds and serve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LeggyBrunette

Oyster Sauce (esp with beef) is lovely. I love Sharwoods brand.
    1 tablespoon of oyster sauce and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.

Anyway, if you have time, marinade the beef in the sauce.

Fry (in olive oil), onion, garlic, chilli, peppers, corgette. Remove from pan.
    Fry beef, crumble in a dry veg oxo cube when beef is almost cooked, then add the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Throw veg back in. Cook till beef is cooked.

Add more oyster sauce if you think it needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thanks for the ideas. Going to try some of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I love garlic, to marinate it I cut up the chicken and stick it in an old sauce jar with garlic and soy sauce and chilli and leave it in the fridge overnight, being able to put a proper cap on the jar means no smell comes out at all.

Advertisement