Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

UCD email: wake me up when it opens

• 05-05-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

How come every single website I am opening at the moment opens normally but UCD is *always* the slowest? I'm off campus and using broadband and the fact that all other sites are opening as normal is enough for me to know that the problem is with UCD. Plus ça change...

What, precisely, is the problem that causes it to be so slow? I've logged out and in again three times to no avail. Is the server inadequate? Does anybody know why this has been going on for years...and years?

Will the luddites in UCD management ever fund Computing Services sufficiently?

PS: Still not opening!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Next time you get access, set if to forward all your mail to another email account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Set your email to forward to your personal email, Use direct links to blackboard and SIS there normaly fast enough and it saves time clicking through different links.
    I haven't logged in to connect in ages!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

http://elearning.ucd.ie/ - Blackboard
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/ - SIS
    http://udprism01.ucd.ie/ - Library catalogue
    http://imap.ucd.ie/ - UCD connect webmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

It's probably overwhelmed by the amount of f*cktards emailling their entire course to ask "what's on the exam?" or "can anyone give me notes, I didn't go to any classes for (insert reason here)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Thanks a million, lads. I sort of had to go into UCD email just to respond to somebody via my official UCD email. Is there a way around having to go into it in order to respond from the UCD email address? (some people, eejits that they are, appear to feel more comfortable when they get your response from ucd.ie rather than gmail which is infinitely more intelligent in my view)

Is there any technical reason why Connect is so slow? I ask this as the Computing Services crowd have, in my experience, been very helpful throughout the years. I really think the problem - be it the incessant shut-downs of the computers in SSRC or whatever - lies with the academics who have been elected to UCD governance and who are hostile to technology. I could be wrong, very wrong, and I will gladly be corrected on this.

PS: Technically, is there any way of UCD giving us a faster internet service on campus? (I really would be grateful for an answer to this)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Dionysus wrote: »
    Thanks a million, lads. I sort of had to go into UCD email just to respond to somebody via my official UCD email. Is there a way around having to go into it in order to respond from the UCD email address? (some people, eejits that they are, appear to feel more comfortable when they get your response from ucd.ie rather than gmail which is infinitely more intelligent in my view)
    When it's from a UCD account, they know it's you. I could easily set up dionysus@gmail.com and impersonate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Sure. You can use a mail program like outlook (windows), mail (mac) or thunderbird (free and works on windows, mac os and linux) or... well, there are lots of them, but those are the ones I've used. This will allow you to send and receive email from your UCD address, your gmail address and most other email services without ever actually needing to login again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, there's a way to set it up with gmail, I can send messages from my UCD email through the gmail client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

passive wrote: »
    I didn't go to any classes for (insert reason here)"

It's always the sick relative, isn't it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Raphael wrote: »
    Also, there's a way to set it up with gmail, I can send messages from my UCD email through the gmail client.

Same thing can be done with hotmail if you don't have gmail :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Raphael wrote: »

GMail will let you do that - it just requires verification, meaning that you've to be able to get a message either from your UCD account or forwarded to GMail. I've it working like that for my Google Apps account and it rocks.

Advertisement