Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting emails on my mobile?

• 05-05-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering what's the best way to get emails on my mobile?

I was about to get a second hand Blackberry and get the Blackberry add-on from Vodafone, but I just found out that the €20 a month doesn't cover any data traffic - just emails. That seems a bit steep. Also, an awful lot of Blackberrys have neither 3G or a camera.

However, the mobile internet tariff is €10 per month, so I presume I can just get that and use 3G to send and receive my mail instead?

I recently got an upgrade with Vodafone and got the LG viewty, which I hate. So, not only can I not get another upgrade, but I'm locked into Vodafone for the next year.

Are these the two main / only options?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So your sticking with the Lg viewty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Series 60 nokias (n95,n96,5800 etc etc) have the Nokia Messaging thing on trial with free push e-mail at the moment. Dunno how long its gonna last for though. But for now its bitchin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Davy wrote: »
    So your sticking with the Lg viewty?

Probably not. Maybe in the short term, but it's just too annoying to use long term. I suppose I'm just trying to see what my options are. I'd like a phone that's more suited to emails, so a full QWERTY keypad.

I'm just not sure how the non-Blackberry smart phones work. I see that the Nokia phones like the e63 have push email, but I don't really know how that works, like does my mailserver need to be configured differently, or what tariff I need to be on from Vodafone.

Series 60 nokias (n95,n96,5800 etc etc) have the Nokia Messaging thing on trial with free push e-mail at the moment. Dunno how long its gonna last for though. But for now its bitchin :)

I had the N95 before, but really didn't like it. How does the push email work though - is that a Vodafone thing or what?

eoin wrote: »
    Probably not. Maybe in the short term, but it's just too annoying to use long term. I suppose I'm just trying to see what my options are. I'd like a phone that's more suited to emails, so a full QWERTY keypad.

I'm just not sure how the non-Blackberry smart phones work. I see that the Nokia phones like the e63 have push email, but I don't really know how that works, like does my mailserver need to be configured differently, or what tariff I need to be on from Vodafone.

Using tha nokia, the program is setup, all you need to do is enter your email addresses into it, its quite easy to setup.

You can either use €0.99c per day or the 50MB daily allowance and 2c per KB thereafter, or the €9.99 for the month with is 500MB allowance.

• Advertisement

Thanks Davy - so is it really push email then, or does the phone just check the server regularly?

Thanks Davy - so is it really push email then, or does the phone just check the server regularly?

Well ye, it uses a nokia server and then refreshes with that.

Well ye, it uses a nokia server and then refreshes with that.

Ah, that makes sense. So, I just need the mobile internet tariff, and just have to hope that I won't get charged through the nose if Nokia decide to charge for the service later on!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm wondering what's the best way to get emails on my mobile?

I was about to get a second hand Blackberry and get the Blackberry add-on from Vodafone, but I just found out that the €20 a month doesn't cover any data traffic - just emails. That seems a bit steep. Also, an awful lot of Blackberrys have neither 3G or a camera.

However, the mobile internet tariff is €10 per month, so I presume I can just get that and use 3G to send and receive my mail instead?

I recently got an upgrade with Vodafone and got the LG viewty, which I hate. So, not only can I not get another upgrade, but I'm locked into Vodafone for the next year.

Are these the two main / only options?

thanks in advance

E51 does it, but its got a small screen and the usual keypad. E71 (Seems to be discontinued on Voda) has a bigger screen and QWERTY keyboard. Nokia 5800 Express Music phone has touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, and WIFI.
    Toss up for me between the E71 and the 5800 as I have the E51 and its just too awkward for email.

whiterebel wrote: »
    E51 does it, but its got a small screen and the usual keypad. E71 (Seems to be discontinued on Voda) has a bigger screen and QWERTY keyboard. Nokia 5800 Express Music phone has touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, and WIFI.
    Toss up for me between the E71 and the 5800 as I have the E51 and its just too awkward for email.

Thanks whiterebel. I'll have to get the phone myself as I wasted my upgrade on the viewty, but I've seen a few ones I like. I don't mind a big phone, so I think I'll go for the most usable one.

It looks like I'll have to spend a bit more than I was planning though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks whiterebel. I'll have to get the phone myself as I wasted my upgrade on the viewty, but I've seen a few ones I like. I don't mind a big phone, so I think I'll go for the most usable one.

It looks like I'll have to spend a bit more than I was planning though.

No probs. The E71 is almost identical to a Blackberry 8900, BTW. Extremely thin, just wide to allow for the keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i use an e66 (ok phone pad no keyboard ) but i check my exchange mail ( i did use push but it ate throught the batteries so just set it to check every 10 mins ) i alsos have a pop3 account set up to sync and i bought the 1 gb a month data add on so i can use that for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

i use the e51 nokia. i've it connected to my yahoo account.

Theres tonnes of office gear on it, pdf reader etc.

Thanks folks - I think it would have to be a QWERTY keypad though. I don't really mind about the size of the phone - usability is the main thing for me. I had an old Blackberry before, and even though it was like carrying around a brick, it was just excellent to use for email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Perhaps the E63? It is the little brother of E71, a little bit thicker, otherwise the same size. No 3.5G data or built in GPS though. But it has a bit improved keyboard to E71. Three is doing it for 179 on 3pay in store, or 149 online.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Perhaps the E63? It is the little brother of E71, a little bit thicker, otherwise the same size. No 3.5G data or built in GPS though. But it has a bit improved keyboard to E71. Three is doing it for 179 on 3pay in store, or 149 online.

Thanks - that one is a contender alright. GPS doesn't bother me at all.

As I said, I'm locked into Vodafone, but they're going for around the same price on eBay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 liamh22

Just bought the Nokia E51 as I wanted to be able to check my mails\ the web but find the instructions in the leaflet difficult to impliment
    Its as if theres an bit missing when trying to set up mail & web a\c's
    Anyone got any hints-shortcuts otherwise will have to go back to the store & queue up

flodis79 wrote: »

No WIFI on E63 either.

I might have to think about WIFI - it could save me a bit of bandwidth at home alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

No WIFI on E63 either.

i think it does have wifi

• Advertisement

towel401 wrote: »
    i think it does have wifi

It does have wifi

No wonder I'm confused. The person in three told me there was no Wifi, it says on their website there is no wifi, but according to the nokia.ie website it does have wifi........:confused:

O2 have it on their website, but don't show it has having wifi either. Seeing as it is so much cheaper than the E71 it made sense to me that it would have a lot of features missing.

No wonder I'm confused. The person in three told me there was no Wifi, it says on their website there is no wifi, but according to the nokia.ie website it does have wifi........:confused:

Also nokia europe: WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g
    http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e63/specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Yep, this says wireless too. http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-e63.htm

Looks like a good option alright, though a lot more than I was hoping to pay.

This is annoying now - just checked the vodafone site and this page seems to indicate that internet traffic is in fact included in the tariff, despite what I was told on the phone today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

The gmail app is what i use and i find it great. If you don't have gmail ,set up an account and you can forward the emails to it. Uses very little data too.

Yep, I've used it before - it's excellent. Plus I already have all my pop3 accounts going to my gmail anyway.

This is annoying now - just checked the vodafone site and this page seems to indicate that internet traffic is in fact included in the tariff, despite what I was told on the phone today.

This is for business customers. If you are a business customer this should suit you im presuming because you seem to prefer the blackberry design phone as well as having the internet/email add-on for it.

• Advertisement

This is for business customers. If you are a business customer this should suit you im presuming because you seem to prefer the blackberry design phone as well as having the internet/email add-on for it.

I'm not currently a business customer, but I might ask about that as I'm registered as self employed as well. €20 for email only on the personal plan seems really scabby.

I really do prefer the blackberry design, it's probably the most usable phone I've ever owned, despite its size. The Nokias seem quite good on paper, but I really didn't rate my 6680 or N95 at all. I'd hate to shell out 200 or so and get another pig of a yoke.

Advertisement