Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pump Pressure Problem?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the water pump in my apartment.

It is not switching on when I run water, so there is no pressure..

Would you suggest I contact a plumber or an electrician?

This would be for Dublin South side if you have any recommendations.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can you verify its still getting voltage? Light on the spur? If so i would be calling a plumber. If their isnt voltage there, it will be a sparks, but a good plumber will give you an idea whats wrong.

Check nothing has tripped at your main panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Not sure about the voltage or the light on the spur, I'm a complete amateur with these sorts of things.

I can confirm that nothing is tripped on the main board.

If it helps, this was an intermittent problem. That is, the pump would sometimes fail to pump, make a humming noise, and then come back to life later of its own free will.
    Over the weekend this failed completely and does not pump at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

That sounds like the pump is nackered. Call a plumber if you know one. It should be a simple swap like for like just remake the connections and rewire to the spur. An hour and it would be wrapped up. If you dont know any plumbers get one thats recommended from a friend or family normally cheaper than the golden pages. You can pm me if you need a number.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is, the pump would sometimes fail to pump, make a humming noise
    OK this tells you that there is power at the pump and the pressure switch in the pump is operating.

The pump makes a humming noise when there is power but for some reason it can not turn. This might be because it is blocked or the brushes have failed. Either way the advice Davy gave you is good.

These pumps can be expensive (perhaps €350ish) so see if it is possible to get it repaired!

Fitting them is generally quick and easy enough.

Advertisement