Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine and IBB

Options
  • 05-05-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone get an "automatic" upgrade to 4mb from the 3mb package and extra charge of 12e

just checked my bill to see an added charge of 12e I was told this was for another meg which I never asked for and was told I can't be downgraded to the contract i signed up to

anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

ntlbell wrote: »
    Did anyone get an "automatic" upgrade to 4mb from the 3mb package and extra charge of 12e

just checked my bill to see an added charge of 12e I was told this was for another meg which I never asked for and was told I can't be downgraded to the contract i signed up to

anyone else?

this was discussed here a while back, anyone one the corporate 3Mbit connection was upgraded, residential connections have remained untouched so far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

johnciall wrote: »
    this was discussed here a while back, anyone one the corporate 3Mbit connection was upgraded, residential connections have remained untouched so far

I am residential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm away from home for the last couple of weeks but I called the house mates there and they tell me the line is now 4 megs so I imagine I'm in the same boat as ntlbell.

This is odd.

weird, i know i tend to order corporate connections becuase you get better response times on stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

They sent an email out ages ago to all Breeze customers, NOT just corporate.
    Basically it explained they were upgrading everyone to 4mb and increasing the bill. If you didn't like it you could cancel the broadband.. there is no apparent option to downgrade back to 3mb and they now only offer 4mb breeze..

I was upgraded a few weeks ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

So what happens if you're 4.5km from the nearest exchange and you couldnt get 4mb (let alone 3mb) unless Eircom had a rush of blood to the head and installed fibre optic cable....

well it was being done by IBB [owned by imagine] on their FWA network, so it doesn't really matter how far you are form the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Checked my invoice there. Seems like I haven't been upgraded.

Whilst on the subject of IBB/Imagine...

I rang IBB about 20 minutes ago, to ask if i'd been upgraded and if there was any way to find out how much I'd downloaded in the last month.

I haven't been upgraded.

Anyway, how realistic does this sound:

The tech guy i talked to said there was no way I could find out how much i had downloaded. IBB don't actually bother to monitor me because I have no download limit. Is he right? Can i just download whatever amount of stuff i want and they wont know or care?

Is that really plausible?

it probably is recorded just not available to first line phone monkeys

• Advertisement

Surely it should be available to me though?!

Try sending a Data Protection Request

I don't even know what that is, never mind how i'd go about doing it. :(

I'll ring them again tomorrow morning. I'm sure i'll get someone different. if I hear the same thing again then I'll just accept it. If they ever pull me up on breaking an invisible download limit though I'll unleash hell. And I don't mean in the Brave Little Toaster sense of the words. I mean in the Hong Kong Phooey kinda way!

Seriously though, I'll take it at face value. If they tell me more than once that they do not monitor me download-wise then I'll take that as it is, and if they ever, ever mention how much I've downloaded or even throw an estimate as to how much i've downloaded i'll bring it up with them.

See, i've downloaded a lot as of late (not sure how much though, which is why i was asking them) so I'd rather not unintentionall bring myself to their attention and put myself up shit street with them (although im sure what i've downloaded pales in comparison to other people).

fair nuff i said it before i had a breze installed in an old flat and transfered 200Gb in a week and they never said a word

I've had enough of there BS canceled and moved elsewhere.

I've had enough of there BS canceled and moved elsewhere.

Surely you can't think they're that bad? I've had them for years (about 3 now) and I've never had a problem with them :confused:

Rang them back today by the way. Tech girl mentioned that I hadn't been downloading any unusual amount, but no matter how much i pushed it, I wasn't able to get a number from her. I reckon they just keep graphs or something?

Surely you can't think they're that bad? I've had them for years (about 3 now) and I've never had a problem with them :confused:

Rang them back today by the way. Tech girl mentioned that I hadn't been downloading any unusual amount, but no matter how much i pushed it, I wasn't able to get a number from her. I reckon they just keep graphs or something?

To be fair over the years I haven't had that many problems but the one's I've had and the level of incompetence in resolving them, the attitudes of the staff etc Just had enough.

To be fair over the years I haven't had that many problems but the one's I've had and the level of incompetence in resolving them, the attitudes of the staff etc Just had enough.

I still find it difficult to agree though. I don't work for them or anything, but everytime i've rang their tech support the guys went above and beyond to help me out (including stuff that had nothing to do with IBB ir even internet in general).

Of all the times i've rang them, i've only ever had one negative experience, and that was yesterday when i was trying to find out if i'd been upgraded to the 4mb thing (what this thread is about). The girl hadn't a clue what i was talking about and didn't seem to have a full comprehension as to what an internet connection actually is.

Maybe it's just down to luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I think it is luck. I had over 50% packet loss and I could clearly see it was between me and the mast by testing pings to it and my router - of course it could have been hardware issues with the router. First 2 tech support people I spoke to didn't even understand the concept of packet loss let alone want to entertain the idea it could be their fault. 3rd guy I got was superb. Spent an hour with me on the phone getting me to do this and that as they probed the IBB modem from their end and agreed the issue was them. Every time he rang back when he said he would and he rang after they sent an engineer out to sort it to confirm I was happy (the engineer confirmed the original install was poor and redid it - moved it and changed the equipment and since then I've had no problems). But the first two attempts were so painful to explain that there was a problem it puts me off bothering to ring.

Back on topic, I called the other week just to see if I could upgrade to 4Mb without starting a new 12 month contract and was told: yes, no and no (from 3 different people). The majority said I would need a new contract so I told them to forget it. Will be pleased if I get upgraded anyway! No sign yet though.

I still find it difficult to agree though. I don't work for them or anything, but everytime i've rang their tech support the guys went above and beyond to help me out (including stuff that had nothing to do with IBB ir even internet in general).

Of all the times i've rang them, i've only ever had one negative experience, and that was yesterday when i was trying to find out if i'd been upgraded to the 4mb thing (what this thread is about). The girl hadn't a clue what i was talking about and didn't seem to have a full comprehension as to what an internet connection actually is.

Maybe it's just down to luck.

to be honest, I don't want to get into too much detail but I've done a lot of work with IBB over the years and away from my own personal problems, I've seen some scary stuff this was just another incident and I've blown my top

I'm glad you've had good experiences and who knows it could be just having terrible luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement