Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Dumplings (for stew)

Options
  • 05-05-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for a tasty tried & tested receipe for veggie dumplings - for a stew :)

Any receipie you loved - i'd like to give em a go ! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't know what a dumpling is, good luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Have never tried them before but I remember seeing a recipie for them which uses vegetable suet. So that's a start! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

Hey all,

Looking for a tasty tried & tested receipe for veggie dumplings - for a stew :)

Any receipie you loved - i'd like to give em a go ! Thanks

I've tried this one before:

110g/4oz self-raising flour
    55g/20z shredded vegetable suet
    150ml/1/4 pint water
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Mix all the ingredients together and bind to a stiffish dough with the water. It should be of a consistency that will fall reluctantly from a wooden spoon.
    2. Form the dough in 8 small or 4 large dubplings and drop into a simmering soup or vegetable casserole. Cook for 10 mins, covered, then for a further 10 mins, uncovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I just usually use the recipe on the back of the atora veggie suet packet.

I then pop mine on to a casserole and bake them - yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Parnassia wrote: »
    I've tried this one before:

110g/4oz self-raising flour
    55g/20z shredded vegetable suet
    150ml/1/4 pint water
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Mix all the ingredients together and bind to a stiffish dough with the water. It should be of a consistency that will fall reluctantly from a wooden spoon.
    2. Form the dough in 8 small or 4 large dubplings and drop into a simmering soup or vegetable casserole. Cook for 10 mins, covered, then for a further 10 mins, uncovered.
    sounds gooood :)
    Let the hunt for Veggie suet commence :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

sounds gooood :)
    Let the hunt for Veggie suet commence :)

I used Atora Light (it was the only one they had), you should find it in the baking section of a supermarket. I actually followed the recipe on the packet last time I made them (a couple of nights ago, inspired by your post!) and it's a similar (if not identical) recipe. They were delicious, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Wow, I'm gonna have to make dumplings now!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

If you're finding it difficult to get vegetable suet then you can try this recipe:

1 cup all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup milk heated with 3 tablespoons of butter or oil
    3 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs (parsley for instance)
    1 egg

Mix flour and baking powder and salt, then quickly pour in the milk, herbs and beaten egg and stir with a fork. Add the dumpling batter in spoonfuls to the stew and let it cook away covered.

Theres another one that you can make with couscous but I'll have to look that one up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

anyone got a vegan recipe made from scratch?

Advertisement