Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle/Big Sam/Shearer/Barton/arse in bacon slicer thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you say that like he is a victim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Aye, how many chances has he had at this stage?
    quite clearly has not got the correct attitude / mental state to be a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i realised that after i posted ! to be clear, i in absolutely no way think of him as a victim- he's had so many chances to get his life and career in order and has consistetly blown it every time. He's a bad egg (to put it very mildly) who clearly has a lot of serious issues. who would possibly want him at their club?

reports saying the suspension arose after alleged bust-up with shearer after the game

i realised that after i posted ! to be clear, i in absolutely no way think of him as a victim- he's had so many chances to get his life and career in order and has consistetly blown it every time. He's a bad egg (to put it very mildly) who clearly has a lot of serious issues. who would possibly want him at their club?

reports saying the suspension arose after alleged bust-up with shearer after the game

From The Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/premteams/newcastle/article2411707.ece
    ALAN SHEARER had a massive dressing-room bust-up with Joey Barton after Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat at Liverpool.
    Shearer was steaming at the bad-boy midfielder for getting sent off for an ugly late lunge at Reds rival Xabi Alonso.

But as the Toon boss tore into the £5.8m player, telling him he had let himself and the club down, Barton replied: “You’re a s*** manager with s*** tactics.”

The pair went head to head and had to be pulled apart just as they were about to come to blows.

A Newcastle insider said: “It was unbelievable. They were like two stags.

“Shearer told Barton he had made a mistake putting him back in the team, that he thought Barton was good enough to do it but he had shown he wasn’t.

“Joey shouted at Alan that he was the best player at the club, which was why he had to play him.

“Alan said he wasn’t, called him s*** and Joey replied that he was a s*** manager with s*** tactics.

“At that point, it looked like they were going to have a full-scale brawl and had to be dragged apart.

“Shearer was really angry, not just because of the stupid red card but because it means Barton will be missing for the last three Premier League games when Newcastle need everyone available.

“Alan gave Joey the big build-up during the week, saying what an important player he could be in Newcastle’s fight against relegation, and then he does that.

“You wonder what goes on in Joey’s head.”

Shearer has vowed to fine Barton two weeks’ wages of around £120,000 and has washed his hands of the midfield hot-head.

After the game Shearer said: “Barton wasn’t unlucky to be sent off, it was the right decision.

“We will be without him for the rest of the season and I’m not happy at all.

“He has let me down, definitely, and the same goes for the whole club and himself. From a disciplinary point of view, I will do whatever I can.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meaningless, he's banned for the rest of the season and the rest of his Newcastle career already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gone imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Barton should be locked up.
    I hope that there will be no other club giving him a contract. End of carreer.

It wouldnt suprise me if one day we read he ll be locked up for murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He needs a haircut too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He showed so much potential up til a few seasons ago, but the sh!t he keeps doing is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

You can't keep giving the guy chances. He clearly has no capacity to learn from past mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Newcastle United in right choice shocker.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

cant help thinking that newcastle would play a horrible brand of football, theyed have ugly players theyed be lumping it in the box but theyed still be in the PL if big sam was still there. (assuming theyre going down)

Theres 3 or 4 managers out there who know what to do to keep a team in the league. Theyll never win anything, but they know how to get results when results matter. Bruce/Allardyce/redknapp/megson. Maybe a lesson for chairmen of be careful what you wish for when trying to get a high profile lad in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

He is a thug, i would love if he never played again but i'd say he'll end up either at one of the promoted clubs or in the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

inforfun wrote: »
    Barton should be locked up.
    I hope that there will be no other club giving him a contract. End of carreer.

It wouldnt suprise me if one day we read he ll be locked up for murder.

Just so you know, that's a pretty nasty thing to say about any individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Barton is a clown, everyone knew that anyway but what the hell was Shearer thinking when he took the job? he looks way out of his depth. They were embarressingly bad on sunday against liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anyone else shocked to learn that he was on 60 grand per week? Thats a ridiculous amount of money for a guy who had messed up so many times already and was up on assault charges when he moved to Newcastle.

<edit> just checked the article that was written in, its the S*n so entirely possible thats simply not true.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Barton is a clown, everyone knew that anyway but what the hell was Shearer thinking when he took the job? he looks way out of his depth. They were embarressingly bad on sunday against liverpool.

Barton's history is grim, and it is near impossible to say much that is positive about him. However, I urge those posting in this thread to use your words. As the rule on direct abuse of footballing personalities still stands in this case. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LuckyLloyd I know you have to enforce the rules but to suggest that calling Barton a clown is wrong is stretching credulity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

allardyce?

He thinks hes far better than he actually is. which is a shame cos hes not actually very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

He's a gifted player, and I do think he's a victim, had it been anyone else (Rio, Terry) in the prem they would have been yellow carded. He'd been playing great up till that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Should have never got rid of Sam.

He would have kept them up an improved them season after season.

He said when he went there that he would have to sort out all the background problems first, yet the fans still gave him no time and nor did the idiot owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

DrumSteve wrote: »
    allardyce?

He thinks hes far better than he actually is. which is a shame cos hes not actually very good.

That's not the point though, someone like Sam would keep a team in the premeirship all day long.

Just fwiw:

- Megson was relegated with West Brom in 2002
    - Bruce was relegated with Birmingham in 2006
    - Redknapp was relagated with Southampton in 2005;

so,
    Theres 3 or 4 managers out there who know what to do to keep a team in the league. Theyll never win anything, but they know how to get results when results matter. Bruce/Allardyce/redknapp/megson. Maybe a lesson for chairmen of be careful what you wish for when trying to get a high profile lad in.

Is not entirely cast iron. :)

Boggles wrote: »
    That's not the point though, someone like Sam would keep a team in the premeirship all day long.

we'll see come the end of the season if that statement holds weight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sam or Keegan would not have them in this mess.
    Instability and a lack of managerial consistency will always contribute to bad results.

mike65 wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd I know you have to enforce the rules but to suggest that calling Barton a clown is wrong is stretching credulity.

I agree, hence why I haven't taken any action against that post. But that post is crossing the line in this case, is all - and I don't want to see any (**** / wanker / tosser) actionable abuse posted. As usual, there are better ways to make a point.

If there is further clarification on this wanted, please contact me by PM to prevent further derailing of this thread. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Newcastle thought they were too big for big Sam, but which one will be in the PL next season? hmmm.

we'll see come the end of the season if that statement holds weight....

What do you mean, Blackburn are as good as safe??? 6 points clear, 3 matches left with Pompey and West Brom to play at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He makes one good point - Shearer is a pretty shít manager and his tactics are a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Barton is a perfect signing for an ugly club like Stoke or Blues. His no-nonsense ways would go down a treat.

Racist 'clown'.

Boggles wrote: »
    What do you mean, Blackburn are as good as safe??? 6 points clear, 3 matches left with Pompey and West Brom to play at home.

and? im just saying we'll see at the end of the season :-P

maybe if didnt spend so much time being fergies messenger boy and focussed on his own team he might not be in this mess. it not like blackburn dont have good players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We'll never know if Allardyce would have kept them up, but one thing is for sure.

Newcastle, as a club, need to stabilise.

From the top man, to the fans.

I mean, the fans expecting more than the team is capable of, spewing vitriol at Allardyce when he was a few months into the job.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Newcastle thought they were too big for big Sam, but which one will be in the PL next season? hmmm.
    Hopefully neither :).

and? im just saying we'll see at the end of the season :-P

maybe if didnt spend so much time being fergies messenger boy and focussed on his own team he might not be in this mess. it not like blackburn dont have good players.

What mess??

We'll never know if Allardyce would have kept them up, but one thing is for sure.

Newcastle, as a club, need to stabilise.

From the top man, to the fans.

I mean, the fans expecting more than the team is capable of, spewing vitriol at Allardyce when he was a few months into the job.

Unbelievable Jeff.

Doesn't help that their a team with some of wonderful ex-players though, Michael Owen, Damien Duff, etc.

Means the fans expect too much, especially given the media's hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Means the fans expect too much,
    Which is why I mentioned the fans before.

They think they have this god given right to win things.
    especially given the media's hype.

Yeah, all this "best fans in the world" bollox, sorry, but the "best fans in the world" don't force a manager out after mere months in a job.

The fans expect a manager to have an immediate impact and win trophies.

Someone needs to tell them that football doesn't work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Newcastle could do with a spell in the Championship I reckon. Get rid of all the prima donnas who went there for the paypacket and get some decent hard working footballers in.

I think it is a shame they sacked Big Sam, not because i think they would be better off now, but i think he would be ideal at rebuilding them from the bottom up which is what i think they need.

I said at the time when they appointed Sam, they needed to get in a couple of respected ex players as coaches to get the fans onside.

Sam with the likes of Rob Lee and Shearer under him would have brought stability and would have provided a definate stepping stone to future success.

But that is not the Newcastle way, I personally think they are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Theres 3 or 4 managers out there who know what to do to keep a team in the league. Theyll never win anything, but they know how to get results when results matter. Bruce/Allardyce/redknapp/megson.

To be fair to Rednapp and as much as I dislike the man he did win the FA cup but as pointed out he has been relegated before too

Which is why I mentioned the fans before.

They think they have this god given right to win things.
    Not disagreeing with you at all. Used to game with a lad from Newcastle and he freely admitted that they'd never gotten over the mid-90s and almost winning the League. There was a feeling that one or two signings and a good manager was all they needed to be back in the top four.
    Yeah, all this "best fans in the world" bollox, sorry, but the "best fans in the world" don't force a manager out after mere months in a job.

The fans expect a manager to have an immediate impact and win trophies.

Someone needs to tell them that football doesn't work like that.

Well fans, media, chairmen, etc have all been glutted on a string of successful managers. Rafa Benitez has achieved far more in his first few seasons at Liverpool than Fergie did for us when he arrived. Phil Scolari, whose a quality manager was given all of what, 6 months?

The game's become too impatient, partially fuelled by a media hungry for stories, and while that's a total cliché, if you think about it, it's easier to criticise or praise than to write about mediocrity and stability. Newcastle's local paper's not going to sell much talking about how mediocrity is the key to survival. People want instant success because they've seen it elsewhere, and on paper, Newcastle look like a quality team.

Side:
    Given

Grand defence, some decent names---

Duff ---- Barton ---- Nolan ---- N'Zogbia

Owen
    Martins

There are some relatively impressive players there, on paper - Duff and Owen in particular would be the kind of player who were very good and would increase expectations hugely. Shame they're both shíte now.

But if you look at that, it's not the worst Premiership side by a long distance. It's only when you judge by performance and you see that Martins doesn't look like he wants to be there, Given's given up, Duff and Owen are gone, Nolan's MIA, Barton's a headcase, N'Zogbia decides the new manager's a racist buffoon and demands to leave, etc.

• Advertisement

Newcastle could do with a spell in the Championship I reckon. Get rid of all the prima donnas who went there for the paypacket and get some decent hard working footballers in.

I think it is a shame they sacked Big Sam, not because i think they would be better off now, but i think he would be ideal at rebuilding them from the bottom up which is what i think they need.

No way. Championship football could absolutely ruin them. They won't have planned for relegation, so no player contracts will be reduced. They will end up selling half their squad off cheap while continuing to pay part of their wages. They could go the way of Leeds imo. If they don't come up first time round, they will be in serious trouble financially, even more so than they are now. In an ideal scenario, for them, they would stay up this season, sell off a lot of the crap they have around the squad and start fresh, bringing in some young and hungry players, not fading talents of seasons past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

He makes one good point - Shearer is a pretty shít manager and his tactics are a joke.

first off brilliant assessment of shearer after what 3 or 4 games in charge:rolleyes:

give barton a break christ he gets awful grief cos it is him. Awful tackle on sunday yes but lik we've seen bad tackles for years. Players niggle at him too constantly cos they know he'll lose his head. Remember nasri tried trip him up at the emirates for no apparent reason at the emirates. Why wasn't there a thread saying what a sneeky move out of him.

Bad tackles are part of the game and jesus if he didnt lose his head he wouldn't be human. to those saying he should be banned for good etc so Roy Keane after the Haaland tackle should never have been allowed play the game again so in that thinking.

Dont get me wrong i'm not saying he's an angel by no means but sometimes i think his reputation gets him in more trouble than his actions

Not disagreeing with you at all. Used to game with a lad from Newcastle and he freely admitted that they'd never gotten over the mid-90s and almost winning the League. There was a feeling that one or two signings and a good manager was all they needed to be back in the top four.

Well fans, media, chairmen, etc have all been glutted on a string of successful managers. Rafa Benitez has achieved far more in his first few seasons at Liverpool than Fergie did for us when he arrived. Phil Scolari, whose a quality manager was given all of what, 6 months?

The game's become too impatient, partially fuelled by a media hungry for stories, and while that's a total cliché, if you think about it, it's easier to criticise or praise than to write about mediocrity and stability. Newcastle's local paper's not going to sell much talking about how mediocrity is the key to survival. People want instant success because they've seen it elsewhere, and on paper, Newcastle look like a quality team.

Side:
    Given

Grand defence, some decent names---

Duff ---- Barton ---- Nolan ---- N'Zogbia

Owen
    Martins

There are some relatively impressive players there, on paper - Duff and Owen in particular would be the kind of player who were very good and would increase expectations hugely. Shame they're both shíte now.

But if you look at that, it's not the worst Premiership side by a long distance. It's only when you judge by performance and you see that Martins doesn't look like he wants to be there, Given's given up, Duff and Owen are gone, Nolan's MIA, Barton's a headcase, N'Zogbia decides the new manager's a racist buffoon and demands to leave, etc.

Given is gone.

givens at citeh now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    Sam or Keegan would not have them in this mess.
    Instability and a lack of managerial consistency will always contribute to bad results.

keggy wouldve taken them down imo

Iang87 wrote: »
    first off brilliant assessment of shearer after what 3 or 4 games in charge:rolleyes:
    Well, I think it's fairly apparent that Shearer hasn't gone in there with a plan, he's tested three or four different formations in three or four games. Off the top of my head I can think of 3-5-2, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2. What he should have done was find one modern tactic, and stuck to it. I mean, 3-5-2, what is this Euro 96? Italia 90? Anachronistic tactics for the win! Let's break out the W-M while we're at it, Newcastle could do with an old-fashioned inside right and left. :rolleyes:
    give barton a break christ he gets awful grief cos it is him. Awful tackle on sunday yes but lik we've seen bad tackles for years. Players niggle at him too constantly cos they know he'll lose his head. Remember nasri tried trip him up at the emirates for no apparent reason at the emirates. Why wasn't there a thread saying what a sneeky move out of him.

Bad tackles are part of the game and jesus if he didnt lose his head he wouldn't be human. to those saying he should be banned for good etc so Roy Keane after the Haaland tackle should never have been allowed play the game again so in that thinking.

Dont get me wrong i'm not saying he's an angel by no means but sometimes i think his reputation gets him in more trouble than his actions

Joey 'Cigar to the face!' Barton's reputation is well earned. I somehow doubt he'll be able to shake it off, especially when he does things like this.

Given is gone.

Yeah, I know that. I'm talking about what they had at the start of the season. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

give barton a break christ he gets awful grief cos it is him

In fairness why should anyone give him a break when his own club have suspended him before the FA even have. Usually a club will defend their own player even when he's in the wrong, the fact that they have gone the other way says it all about Barton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

^^^ This

Relegation + new owner = bigger and better Newcastle in 5 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Iang87 wrote: »
    give barton a break christ he gets awful grief cos it is him.

And who made him him?

Alonso asked to be lunged at

The taxi driver dared ask for money

The lad outside McDonald's was being mean to him

The young Everton fan called him a bold word

Dabo provoked him in training

Jamie Tandy wanted the cigarette in the eye

Seriously, I defended him to the hilt when he was at City, naively believing he could grow up and cop on. He hasn't so deserves everything thrown at him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement