Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle/Big Sam/Shearer/Barton/arse in bacon slicer thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i for one will be sorry to see newky get relegated..liverpool got 6 points off them this season and utd only 4!!

btw who is this dunnphy guy that keeps posting?/ is it eamon dunphy the rte pundit or just some guy that thought it would be clever to call himself eamon dunphy?/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mormank wrote: »
    i for one will be sorry to see newky get relegated..liverpool got 6 points off them this season and utd only 4!!

btw who is this dunnphy guy that keeps posting?/ is it eamon dunphy the rte pundit or just some guy that thought it would be clever to call himself eamon dunphy?/

It's Eamo himself. DeV (Admin) got an email from RTE over some of the views expressed on this forum. DeV said that in the interest of fairness Eamon could have the right of reply and granted him access to the forum with the backing of the Soccer moderators.

He's certainly putting the cat amongst the pigeons at the moment, but of course he will still be bound by the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's Eamo himself. DeV (Admin) got an email from RTE over some of the views expressed on this forum. DeV said that in the interest of fairness Eamon could have the right of reply and granted him access to the forum with the backing of the Soccer moderators.

He's certainly putting the cat amongst the pigeons at the moment, but of course he will still be bound by the charter.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

he certainly moderates a lot of things...where does he find the time? :-P

in all seriousness though maybe the best thing would be for them to go down and clear out a lot of the more overpriced players on their roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

the same Eamo that mods the aussie rules and rugby forums as well... hmmmm

back on track, I still think Sam would have kept them up. Ive said at the sart, yes its a horrible brand of football but fellas who have been up and down with teams know whats needed and stability is needed more then anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

DrumSteve wrote: »
    he certainly moderates a lot of things...where does he find the time? :-P

in all seriousness though maybe the best thing would be for them to go down and clear out a lot of the more overpriced players on their roster.

Not that easy, you have contracts you have to pay if you decide to sell a player. Look at how long Leeds were paying Fowler! Couple that with the drastic drop in revenue (TV/Sponsorships/attendance) and also having to replace the players you sold and you have a pretty bleak situation. Especially since i doubt our finances have been setup for anything other than premiership survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

M5 wrote: »
    Not that easy, you have contracts you have to pay if you decide to sell a player. Look at how long Leeds were paying Fowler! Couple that with the drastic drop in revenue (TV/Sponsorships/attendance) and also having to replace the players you sold and you have a pretty bleak situation. Especially since i doubt our finances have been setup for anything other than premiership survival.

true that its a bad situation to be in. i can definitely see more clubs goin this way soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I know Leeds had to pay Fowler when he left but was that money that was owed to him from either back payment of wages or signing on fee? I cant how every player will be entitled to money from newcastle if they sign a contract with another club, surely signing a contract with another club would void the current one they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wasnt even that bad a tackle. If thats what we are judging as straight reds and extended bans, the Scholes inability to tackle should have seen him sent off 15 or 20 times over his career as well as missing goods chunks of most seasons.

Shearer isnt really in a position to be preaching at Barton. Maybe he needs to be emailed youtube links of himself stamping on and elbowing people.

I think you do unless they ask for a move or have a release clause in the event of relegation... Maybe someone else can clarify

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well Ste im sure the ban etc is for the supposed bust up after the game and if Barton is in the wrong here verbally criticising the manager after a match where he himself got sent off especially after all the 2nd chances hes had too right they suspend him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

3-5-2, nothing to do with having 3 fit defenders has it????

Shearer brought in to try and lift some of the gloom around the club, nothing more. The Dowie appointment kinda makes that plain to see

PS is this not a Joey Barton thread?

SOmeone accused me of dismissing Shearer after only 3 or 4 games in charge. Those are my reasons.

3-5-2 has nothing to do with only 3 defenders. There's a reserve team, and a youth team too. 3-5-2 is not used anymore, and it is especially useless against teams with one striker (like many modern teams, and almost all good modern teams) because you've got 3 centre-backs marking one striker, while your wingbacks have to deal with a wide midfielder and a full back each.

And as I said, Joey 'attacks randomers outside McDonalds' Barton has a well-earned reputation for thuggery. It's neither the first nor the last time he'll be involved in such behaviour. Great talent, but he thugs out too often. He's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Just wondering what do you guys think was it mike Ashelys fault or Dennis wise fault for ruining the magpies or does it go all the way back to the Shepard era

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Team effort imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Everyone bar the spectators and opposing teams (although a few have ruined them also in a different manner) who've been in St James' Park in the last 2/3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Joint effort. Ashley brought Wise in and he in turn, forced Keegan out with that whole transfer thing.

No use in blaming anybody now. We're third bottom because our players aren't performing.

Getting rid of Sam was the best thing we could have done. He brought horrible football to St. James' and half of our players didn't seem to know what to do when they got the ball half the time.

He was great with Bolton fair enough but look at what he's done to Blackburn recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I seen the game and I have to say I don't think there was serious intent from Joey Barton to get the player. Fair enough if its a red card but I personally believe that he got red there because of who he is and not the tackle, I've seen worse get yellow many times.

If you have seen Barton in the past you would see no regret on his face but a big thick head on him after he does something like that. In this particular instance he had a calm demeanour and look regretful about the challenge and the way he waved his hand after the incident was unlike the Joey Barton who would have just walked off the pitch in the past.

Just my thoughts on the incident.

His reputation went before him on this occasion. I can guarantee you that if anybody else made that tackle they'd only be yellow carded.

I will agree that it was a fairly reckless challenge but we do need players to get into people's faces and make them uncomfortable on the ball.

He's a good player and I totally agree with him that Shearer is a terrible manager. An absolute legend on Tyneside but he hasn't a clue about man management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Every single manager who has managed them in the Ashley era has played a massive role.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

another newcastle thread eh, wonder if they have a superthread...

if its between Wise and Ashley then obviously you gotta pick Ashley as he employed wise and coulda got rid of him at any time

Im so sick of defending this scouse prick i really taught he was going to be an amazing buy for us cause he truly is a talented player when he puts up and shuts up!!But now i hope he bloody rots in the reserves cause he's noting but a flucking thug

He's the type of player we need. Nobody else will bother their hole in midfield to do anything.

If you look at the replay of the tackle again you can see that he got the ball before the man. It was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

He'll always have his critics but I honestly believes that he was trying his best to turn things around. When we got a penalty against West Brom earlier on this season he was the one who immediately took the ball, placed it and scored. Takes real guts to endure that sort of pressure knowing that a miss would mean inevitable hatred.

He's got a real presence on the pitch when he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

The rot set in many years ago under Hall and Shepherd, but Mike Ashley has done a fine job at making those incompetent ******* look like miracle workers.

Ultimately though, Mike Ashley has to shoulder most of he blame. He failed to carry out due diligence before buying he club, and since then has gone on a momentous run of catastrophic mistakes.

He should've sold up when he had the chance.

Newcastle threads, and the complete waffle spouted in them, deserve one response, and one response only:

facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

Charlie wrote: »
    Newcastle threads, and the complete waffle spouted in them, deserve one response, and one response only:

facepalm.jpg

Good one Charlie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How he deserves to earn £64,000 a week ill never know

How he deserves to earn £64,000 a week ill never know

Same could be said about every other player Newcastle have. Overpaid and extremely under motivated.

That_Guy wrote: »
    He's the type of player we need. Nobody else will bother their hole in midfield to do anything.

If you look at the replay of the tackle again you can see that he got the ball before the man. It was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

He'll always have his critics but I honestly believes that he was trying his best to turn things around. When we got a penalty against West Brom earlier on this season he was the one who immediately took the ball, placed it and scored. Takes real guts to endure that sort of pressure knowing that a miss would mean inevitable hatred.

He's got a real presence on the pitch when he plays.

I've probably been one of Barton's biggest defenders on here, and have advocated that he be given another chance.

But he shat all over that on Saturday.Whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant. It was a a dangerous and reckless challenge, in an area of the itch where there was no danger. It was completely selfish given the fight we are in. The boss put his faith in him, told him he would play a big part in keeping us up. He failed to live up to that responsibility.

Seriously man, fckuing howay! How you can champion Barton and slate Shearer is criminal for anyone who claims to be Toon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

He was great with Bolton fair enough but look at what he's done to Blackburn recently.

Thing is... Bolton are not going down.

• Advertisement

SOmeone accused me of dismissing Shearer after only 3 or 4 games in charge. Those are my reasons.

3-5-2 has nothing to do with only 3 defenders. There's a reserve team, and a youth team too. 3-5-2 is not used anymore, and it is especially useless against teams with one striker (like many modern teams, and almost all good modern teams) because you've got 3 centre-backs marking one striker, while your wingbacks have to deal with a wide midfielder and a full back each.

Not one other left back at the club.... not one! Flagged to Ashely by Keegan/Kinnear/pretty much every journalist, but nothing done to rectify the situation. With 4/5 other defenders injured it was probably the only viable option. Poor formation, yes, another option, not unless you play Duff at LB

Mezcita wrote: »
    Thing is... Bolton are not going down.

Yeah cos Sam is gone from there. Route one football might seem like a good idea but it'll eventually back fire.

I've probably been one of Barton's biggest defenders on here, and have advocated that he be given another chance.

But he shat all over that on Saturday.Whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant. It was a a dangerous and reckless challenge, in an area of the itch where there was no danger. It was completely selfish given the fight we are in. The boss put his faith in him, told him he would play a big part in keeping us up. He failed to live up to that responsibility.

Seriously man, fckuing howay! How you can champion Barton and slate Shearer is criminal for anyone who claims to be Toon.

He's had his chance, fcuked up, had his chance fcuked up, had his chance fcuked up. The pattern suggests enough is enough. Backed up by the club and this is the repayment. A ridiculous red card and then throwing a wobbly! not on! GTF out of the club before you drag its name further into the dirt

I'm well aware of what Shearer has done for us when he played but managing is a totally different ball park.

The players aren't performing well under Shearer who was supposed to be "an injection into the arm of Newcastle United".

He must be doing something wrong. I know he has no previous management skills but if you can't get motivated by a legend such as Shearer then he must be doing something very very wrong. It's not as if we don't have good players. We do. On their day we could be an unstoppable force if we decide to play but we're not doing that.

Barton told Shearer how it is. No one player is bigger than the club but to be fined for openly criticising the manager is an absolute joke and hypocritical on Shearer's part because he openly criticised Barton right after the match.

I'm a Toon fan through and through but to basically say that slating Shearer is wrong takes away my right to have an opinion. I know how much of a legend he was on the pitch but he is not doing a good job of motivating our players to play and that's evident in the results.

If Shearer can keep us up I reckon that it will be from other teams around us fcuking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If you're going to play 3-5-2 for whatever reason, then you need to work on it before you go on the pitch. At times on Saturday Duff was facing two Liverpool players on the Toon's left while the three CBs lurked in front of goal...one of them had to be giving Duff a helping hand, but nobody seemed to realise a lot of the basics.

I'd also question Shearer's motivational qualities, there's no sign of players responding to his reputation, I don't know whether that's his fault, or more to do with what went on before him and the players are so lacking in confidence he simply can't save them.

I think Hull and Boro being utterly sh1te might just save the Barcodes, but that is all that will save them.

If you're going to play 3-5-2 for whatever reason, then you need to work on it before you go on the pitch. At times on Saturday Duff was facing two Liverpool players on the Toon's left while the three CBs lurked in front of goal...one of them had to be giving Duff a helping hand, but nobody seemed to realise a lot of the basics.

I'd also question Shearer's motivational qualities, there's no sign of players responding to his reputation, I don't know whether that's his fault, or more to do with what went on before him and the players are so lacking in confidence he simply can't save them.

I think Hull and Boro being utterly sh1te might just save the Barcodes, but that is all that will save them.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm well aware of what Shearer has done for us when he played but managing is a totally different ball park.

The players aren't performing well under Shearer who was supposed to be "an injection into the arm of Newcastle United".

He must be doing something wrong. I know he has no previous management skills but if you can't get motivated by a legend such as Shearer then he must be doing something very very wrong. It's not as if we don't have good players. We do. On their day we could be an unstoppable force if we decide to play but we're not doing that.

TBH, I think it says alot more about the players than it does Shearer. Seriously, we all know that the majority are overpaid parasites who couldn't give a jot about the black and white; Jackie Milburn, Joe Harvey's mighty lads, Sir Bobby, standing in the rain in the Gallowgate and loving it...etc etc.

Shearer isn't a miracle worker.
    Barton told Shearer how it is. No one player is bigger than the club but to be fined for openly criticising the manager is an absolute joke and hypocritical on Shearer's part because he openly criticised Barton right after the match.

Whether his view is the right or wrong one, it is bang out of order to air it in front of the dressing room, disrespecting the manager in front of his staff and players. everyone knows that.

That being said, I think it's laughable for Barton to question Shearer on anything. The bloke should be grateful he was given a chance, end of.
    I'm a Toon fan through and through but to basically say that slating Shearer is wrong takes away my right to have an opinion. I know how much of a legend he was on the pitch but he is not doing a good job of motivating our players to play and that's evident in the results.

It's not the slating Shearer part of it that is wrong, its the Barton>>>>>>>>Shearer bit that is madness.

He's had his chance, fcuked up, had his chance fcuked up, had his chance fcuked up. The pattern suggests enough is enough. Backed up by the club and this is the repayment. A ridiculous red card and then throwing a wobbly! not on! GTF out of the club before you drag its name further into the dirt
    He should have maybe been gone long ago but as I said earlier I thought he was unlucky the other night, I think his reputation got him sent off there.

Also he was one of about three players on the pitch who looked like they gave a fook.

We played 4 4 2 against Liverpool! Formation is nothing without commitment. If you cant be arsed you will be caught out of position. Same thing with the Shearer situation. As i have said before i think that a lot of players are wondering how they are playing in a relegation threatened team and see relegation as a way out. We need to win to stay in the division. Cant see where that will come from, we could not beat a disinterested Portsmouth side, how will we beat a side fighting for their lives and 2 European candidates?

As said previously, the shape of the team is borne out of the fact that the squad is so poorly put together. Hell, even when we had the numbers, the defenders we're still cack. Blaming Shearer for the performance of the defence is like blaming a doctor for a diagnosis.

Look at the funds and freedom Redknapp was given when he arrived at WHL. Shearer hasn't been afforded anywhere near those luxuries. He's had to make do with what is for the most part, a woeful squad.

Regarding his motivational qualities or lack of them, we can only speculte what goes on behind closed doors, but I think it's fair to say that there are alot of players at the club who couldn't give a flying fcuk who Alan shearer is, and what he means to Newcastel United. There are also a fair number of wasters who seem to be happy with the prospect of relegation.

It's a very toxic mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What Charlie said.

Also Barton can f-off now. He's tarnished the club's name enough. I rate him as a player and hope he goes on to do something useful with his talent and career in football, but not at Newcastle, he's got too many problems and we have enough problems as it is.

Hopefully Allardcye will do us a favour and take him off our hands.

kinaldo wrote: »
    What Charlie said.

Also Barton can f-off now. He's tarnished the club's name enough. I rate him as a player and hope he goes on to do something useful with his talent and career in football, but not at Newcastle, he's got too many problems and we have enough problems as it is.

Hopefully Allardcye will do us a favour and take him off our hands.
    I wouldn't mind if we bought him although I'd imagine Big Sam would be more interested in Kevin Nolan given the great working relationship they had at Bolton. We'll be doing a bit of shopping in the summer so I wouldn't be surprised to see us take some Newcastle players, we need a right back and a centre mid. I have to say I'd like to see us pick up Spiderman but I think if he leaves its gonna be for big money.

Thats if you go down of course, I think if you somehow managed four points you would survive. Hull are in bits at the moment and their run in is not easy either. They have Stoke next but I fancy a draw is the best they get out of that, then Bolton away is never easy and United in the final game of the season. You've got Middlesborough and Fulham at home, six there and you certainly stay up imo, four and I think you will stay up although its no way certain but I don't see Hull getting anymore than whatever they get against Stoke the weekend and thats one point at best imo. You have a superior goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

ah right. cheers for the info. ya he would put the cat amongst the pidgeons alright..isnt that prety much his job.

fwiw, rte wouldnt be the same without you eamo!!! :p

joey barton will be back in the prem i reckon, whether it is next year or the following year with a promoted club i dont knwo but i for one hope he does get his act toogether at least slightly!

and i hope newky get relegated just cos it would be interesting to see how wthey cope with the mass exodus+ i for one hope they live to regret how they treated king kev!! im a pool fan but i just loved it when kev was reinstated as manager!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Iang87 wrote: »
    no what you remember was a 50/50 which barton won.

if i was being provoked like that on a field i'd react the same way he does.

i didnt say he was an angel i was just sayin anything he does dets blown out of proportion cos its him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9k3-c8Sek
    1min 10 ... call that a 50/50?
    I call that an attempt to break someones legs.

mormank wrote: »
    and i hope newky get relegated just cos it would be interesting to see how wthey cope with the mass exodus+ i for one hope they live to regret how they treated king kev!! im a pool fan but i just loved it when kev was reinstated as manager!!

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg?t=1241635320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

kinaldo wrote: »
    He's tarnished the club's name enough

ah come on, the club knew EXACTLY what they were buying. nobody to blame here at all, not even barton, for any reputation tarnishing from his signing

I still rate him as a good player. Never mind his troublesome past.

It's funny how some Toon fans backed him when Keegan came back and gave him another chance to prove himself. I personally wanted him out at that stage because he was a loose cannon and a liability.

I was still worried about him until he scored that penalty for us against West Brom. My opinion of him changed that night and thought that he does want to set things right.

Sunday he openly criticised Shearer and I agree with what he said. Our tactics have not been working. I know Shearer means a lot to Newcastle and its fans but managing this club is extremely different than playing for it. What may have worked as a player doesn't necessarily work as a manager and its been proven.

Barton's choice of words might have been over the top but it seems to be the truth. Shearer is in way over his head and a lot of people including myself were very deluded by another legend coming in and taking over the reigns. I immediately copped on and came to terms that Shearer is not the man for this job.

His motivational skills seem to be lacking, his choice of tactics are poor.

He heard the truth from Joey Barton on Sunday and couldn't handle it and made a public mockery of him. Really pisses me off that players can be taken down a peg or two by managers but can't happen the other way around.

People will say he's a thug etc but this is nothing to do with the tackle on Alonso.

As a supporter of Newcastle it is well within my right to have an honest opinion on this matter. Just because Shearer is a legend doesn't mean that he can't and won't get criticism.
    He's not untouchable.

I never thought I would say this, but mate, you're so off the plot its funny.

How can anyone judge Shearer after only a handful of games, managing a squad of no-mark, washed up, parasites.

Seriously man, fcuking howay!

I never thought I would say this, but mate, you're so off the plot its funny.

They're only my opinions mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement