Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeder Schools

Options
  • 05-05-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Are there primary schools in Greystones that are feeder schools for specific secondary schools in, say Bray, for example. If I have a secondary school preference do I need to put my son into a specific primary school? Just wondering as he starts school next year so I'll have to start thinking about what one to choose come November this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

Hi Neets,

If you have a preference for a secondary school the best thing is to call them and ask them which primary schools in the area are feeder schools. I am a secondary teacher and we always give priority to kids coming from feeder schools.

Seems crazy to be thinking of secondary schools before your child even starts primary - but crazily it has to be done if you want a place in certain schools.

Good luck
    Sheena.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Hi,
    As far as I know, most primary schools in Greystones feed directly into St. Davids in Greystones. In Bray, St. Fergals feeds into St. Kilians, St. Patricks feeds into Loreto and St. Cronans feeds into Pres...that's as far as I know!! But as the other reply said, ring up the individual schools and ask if u have a particular school in mind. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

To be honest I don't know where to start. I don't have a school in mind at present as I don't know which are thought to be the best secondary schools in the area, therefore I don't know what primary school to opt for!

Do all children who go to school in greystones have to choose St Davids or can they pick a school outside Greystones?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Hi Neets

The only feeder school for the primary's is St.Davids as far as I'm aware.
    As far as I know after that you can only put childrens names down for secondary schools when they are in 2nd class, this is the case with the girls putting their names down for the Loreto schools in Bray and Dalkey anyway.
    Not too sure about the boys though??

neets wrote: »
    To be honest I don't know where to start. I don't have a school in mind at present as I don't know which are thought to be the best secondary schools in the area, therefore I don't know what primary school to opt for!

Do all children who go to school in greystones have to choose St Davids or can they pick a school outside Greystones?

No you can opt for a school other than St.Davids. I went to primary in Greystones and secondary in Bray, but you have to put your childs name down early if they don't feed directly into your chosen secondary school. The secondary schools give automatic places to pupils from feeder schools, then they offer places to pupils on the list.

Is your child a boy or a girl if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

i've two boys. the eldest is due to start school next september.

Well if you're sending them to primary school in Greystones and don't want to send them to St. Davids, just make sure you ring whatever secondary school you want to send them to and ask them when you need to put down their name down by (e.g it's probably around 1st/2nd class).

I know my Dad had to queue from 6 in the morning to make sure he got my name down for secondary school! Ask around for people's opinions on secondary schools in the area, there is plenty to chose from anyway. Hope this gives you a better idea! Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Some good advice and tips in this thread.

But remember that a school that has a "good reputation" now, could be crap by the time your kids go to secondary school, and a "bad school" could have improved. So I would keep your options open by putting their names down for more than 1 or indeed 2 schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i know the system for going into loreto in bray has changed anyway for non-feeder schools.
    they used to have a day when you could sign up, and parents would literally queue over night to have the name put down.
    but one of my teachers (im in 6th year in loreto bray) was saying that you can apply from any age there now. i think she said the youngest was someone applying their daughter when she was younger than 1.

Don't completely take my word for this though, I could be wrong, I'm just going by what I've heard.

thanks a million for the help everyone. i guess i need to lift up the phone book and start ringing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement