Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recession - Any good cash deal stories.

• 05-05-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Lads,

Sorry if this is already been asked a few times.

I hope to be in the hunt for a new car soon. I'll have about 10k + 2k trade in to spend. Im open to suggestions but limitied to about 1.4L car.

If just wondering if people know of any really decent deals that have been done since the recession. Just walking in and out on the same day, no messing about. I'll just write you a cheque and hand me over the keys.

Just trying to gauge the market at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So, by cash deal do you mean that you're thinking of not trading in your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cash deal really only applies to the back yard trader who'll pocket the cash and not put it through the books - do you want to deal with someone like that? Cash isn't king anymore, as most dealerships would rather get your finance business and would incentivise the price of the car as a result.

A 'straight' deal is the one where the car isn't being traded in - but for some reason 'cash' is sometimes confused with straight.

ned78 wrote: »
    A 'straight' deal is the one where the car isn't being traded in - but for some reason 'cash' is sometimes confused with straight.

Sorry, you're right - I say cash deal when I mean straight deal, mostly because paying by cash has made absolutely no difference in my last few transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Apologies...What i mean is that i will pay the full amount upfront.
    No finance options required.

I will write a cheque for 10k and thrown in my car if neccessary (value 2k max)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i think i got a deal recently :

2005 BMW 320d E90 (new shape)
    full black dekota leather
    ipod connection
    air con
    6cd changer
    multi function steering wheel
    parking sensors
    front fogs
    full Main dealer history
    one owner from new
    every receipt for every service carried out
    100k miles (only bad side), but with the mileage i do it will balance out in 3 years :D

advertised for 14k, went in and done battle and left with the car for 10,900 straight deal

• Advertisement

That was my mistake, not yours! What's the least you'll accept for your car? You're always going to lose a bit of your bargaining power if you're trading in.

I've never driven the car away the day I've agreed the sale though - the chances of the car being valeted and serviced just for people to view it aren't that high.

eoin wrote: »
    That was my mistake, not yours! What's the least you'll accept for your car? You're always going to lose a bit of your bargaining power if you're trading in.

I've never driven the car away the day I've agreed the sale though - the chances of the car being valeted and serviced just for people to view it aren't that high.

me neither, i paid a deposit and collected the following week, gave them enough time for a full valet :D

double post....

Well put it this way i will limit myself to a value of 12k. That will be either all paid up front or payment + trade in. I dont intend to drive the car away on the day...Just do the deal there and then and collect it whenever.

Just want ideas of what king of bargains are out there at present. Like the BMW mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

kceire wrote: »
    i think i got a deal recently :

2005 BMW 320d E90 (new shape)
    full black dekota leather
    ipod connection
    air con
    6cd changer
    multi function steering wheel
    parking sensors
    front fogs
    full Main dealer history
    one owner from new
    every receipt for every service carried out
    100k miles (only bad side), but with the mileage i do it will balance out in 3 years :D

advertised for 14k, went in and done battle and left with the car for 10,900 straight deal

thats a good deal imo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrishVillian79

I got a 1.6l 07 Mondeo for 13900 new model with only 14000 miles on the clock.

Just want ideas of what king of bargains are out there at present. Like the BMW mentioned.

I might be wrong, but I think you are much less likely to get a great bargain if you are trading in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Your 10k will probably go as far on a straight sale as it would if you were trading in a car worth 2k. The dealer may value it at less than that eating into the discount you would get if yyou bought straight.

Put your own up for sale and use the full 12k-ish and buy in cash. If your car is priced right it should sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I got a 07 Mondeo TDCI Platinum spec with 44K Miles on the clock for 8.5k + a 01 Seat Leon 1.4 57K on the clock

I think thats a cracking deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP if I have understood you correctly the method of payment will make no difference to the cost price whether it be with a trade in or not.

However the actual price you pay will differ between having and not having a trade-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Most bargains going these days should be atleast 30% off the price.

Anyone know of a website with the cost price of cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

legend365 wrote: »
    This makes no sense. Which would you prefer, a 30% discount off a price of €10,000 or a 10% discount off a price of €7,500? Forget discounts, the price you pay is the only figure that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Anan1 wrote: »
    the price you pay is the only figure that matters.

That makes sense!

Heres and example: Honda Civic Coupe 02

I wouldn't buy a car for 7000 here when i can get it for around 2000 in england. Yes yes VRT on this example is only 2200 so total = 4200 ish.

30% off of 7000 = 4900

So 30% makes sense in a good few cases.

Obviously not if your buying a bentley.

Sorry, I think I completely missed your point there?

Cheers Guys.

So it looks there deals to be had with maybe up to 3k off the marked price.

Has anyone heard of any stories where people are claiming to have gotten 7-10k off the marked price? Ive heard a few but mainly for the higer end cars i must admit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Cheers Guys.

Has anyone heard of any stories where people are claiming to have gotten 7-10k off the marked price? Ive heard a few but mainly for the higer end cars i must admit.

See above. Don't worry about amounts off, discounts, sale prices etc.. Worry about and compare the actual real costs.

It's amazing that people still don't get this. I always smile when I hear people saying "I got a great trade-in". Aye, right you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cheers Guys.

Got 15K off a couple of Mercs this year, brand new unregged stuff that they needed to shift. To get that off something used it would have to be well overpriced in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    Got 15K off a couple of Mercs this year, brand new unregged stuff that they needed to shift. To get that off something used it would have to be well overpriced in the first place.

Yeah, we got that deal too. Lots of unregistered stuff was sitting up, so they must have been desperate to shift it with the new E Class on the way.

There's also a good lump of money off a new diesel Mondeo too at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Picked this up 6 weeks ago:

04 Opel Vectra
    1.6 petrol
    70k miles on the clock
    Superb condition.
    Alloys + new tyres

5300 euros.

I was treated like royalty when I announced I had 5k in my pocket. They showed me the above car and were looking for 6k for it. Do you think I got a good deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Ardent wrote: »

04 Opel Vectra
    1.6 petrol
    70k miles on the clock
    Superb condition.
    Alloys + new tyres

5300 euros.

I was treated like royalty when I announced I had 5k in my pocket. They showed me the above car and were looking for 6k for it. Do you think I got a good deal?

Don't really think so. Those Vectras are fierce hard to shift.

Ardent wrote: »

04 Opel Vectra
    1.6 petrol
    70k miles on the clock
    Superb condition.
    Alloys + new tyres

5300 euros.

If its in good condition and your happy thats the main thing :)

Probably could have goten a bit more off it in todays market.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Looking at spending 10-11K on a '05-'07 car. Deciding between Saab/Volvo/Toyota Avensis/VW Passat/Skoda Octavia/Ford Mondeo.
    Any recommendations?
    '06 1.6L Passat for 10.5K is looking the most likely deal at the moment.

Somebody on here has an 06 Passat 2.0 150bhp Highline, asking €10,500, in their sig. Only looked at it again yesterday (they've been trying to sell it for a while), but can't for the life of me remember who. Looked like a nice car though, silver with low mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Ive an 03 Bmw 318. Cant sell it for love nor money. Im fed up ringing garages who make little of it when I tell them what I have to trade in. It only has 50,000 miles on it but the salesmen all sigh when I mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Noticed today that EP Mooney are flogging off '08 Nissan Notes 1.4 man & 1.6 auto's for €12950, advertised price.

New retail list price is between €18500-23500.

With a bit of wheeling and dealing I could see someone bagging one of these for €12000 or less with the balance of a 3 year Nissan warranty. Good car and drive very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

From my recent experience there are good deals out there but only if you havent got a trade in. No room in the forecourt left for anymore maybe?

Qprmeath wrote: »
    From my recent experience there are good deals out there but only if you havent got a trade in. No room in the forecourt left for anymore maybe?

It depends on what you have to trade in, who you go to, if it is scarce and easy to sell on and a bit of luck then there can still be deals done here. I traded a 05 Focus TDCi recently and thought that I would get nothing for it given that the country was awash with Foci. Had a few different cars on my shopping list and went to most of the "big" forecourts who of course were full of used cars and didn't want another so asked for silly cost to change money. I was patient though and eventually spotted a car that I was interested in, it was on sale in a not so "big" forecourt about 70 miles from me and were keen to deal. Bought the car at a decent price and my old car was sold on 2 weeks later.

Looked at the selling my own car privately and importing from the UK but for what I was in the market for it wasn't financially viable. That and the cost of taking time off work, travelling, cost of flights/ferry and lack of warranty didn't make it worth while for me. Used cars have actually gotten dearer in the UK in the last 6 months so you need to be spending more to save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Somebody on here has an 06 Passat 2.0 150bhp Highline, asking €10,500, in their sig. Only looked at it again yesterday (they've been trying to sell it for a while), but can't for the life of me remember who. Looked like a nice car though, silver with low mileage.

I'm on boards mobile here so it's hard to search but if you find that car will you send us a pm?

Not this one? It's 12,500 not 10,500 though
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=76383&cat=2

...beaten to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gunnergirl

hi

im looking 4 a little advice hopefully some1 on this site can give me a bit of advice im thinking about buying a 2005 citroen C4 coupe its my 1st car and 2 b honest havent a clue about cars. Im trying to way up all my options 2 me the tyres on the car seem bigger than the usual and so i was just wondering if down the line if or when i have 2 replace them how much would they cost? The tyre size is 205/65/16
    if any1 could help i would really appreciate it im from kerry but i would be willing to travel to limerick or clare for the rite price
    I wil leave my email address because i wouldnt b on this site that often
    gunner.girl@hotmail.com
    Thanks so much :)

Alison

Not this one? It's 12,500 not 10,500 though
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=76383&cat=2

...beaten to it!
    That is the one, sorry for getting the price wrong! That said, he's had it for ages - €10k might well do the deal.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

With the straight deals, as well as money off, what kind of things are people asking for?

IMO warranties are nice, provided one of the 6 specified things they list happen (it's a bit like income protection that only pays out if you happen to catch this specific version of a disease, but not that other version).
    I'm not terribly interested in AA (I've got my own membership already).
    I'm not very fussed about mats (would you refuse to buy a car cos you didn't like the look of the mats?)
    I'd expect the car to be serviced and valeted.

What are the "normal" things to ask for with a second hand car?

Thoie wrote: »
    What are the "normal" things to ask for with a second hand car?
    Anything that's worth more to you than it costs the salesman. Just make sure it's recently serviced and that a cambelt change isn't imminent - other than that, it's all down to money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

got a good trade in offer on my 86k 01 astra coupe...gettin 4500 for it
    290027849a3670131254b350541041l.jpg
    against a 07 1.8 astra sri 16k
    media?id=4529148
    media?id=7363949

....picked up an opc recaro interior for it and sholuld be ready to roll on saturday morning. the sri's price came down 3 grand to 14k since it was first posted....good deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Anything that's worth more to you than it costs the salesman.

But I don't want his first born child!
    If the timing belt was approaching renewal time (and there was a garage attached to the sales room), would that be reasonable/unreasonable? How about new tyres, or more extreme, asking for alloys? I think they all sound unreasonable, but curious to know what others think.

Thoie wrote: »
    If the timing belt was approaching renewal time (and there was a garage attached to the sales room), would that be reasonable/unreasonable? How about new tyres, or more extreme, asking for alloys? I think they all sound unreasonable, but curious to know what others think.
    All these things cost money, asking for alloys is no different to asking for the cost to the dealer of the alloys as a discount. The only reason to ask for bits is if a.) you want them, and b.) they'll cost the dealer less than they would you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

legend365 wrote: »

Anyone know of a website with the cost price of cars?

I have a car advertised at 5995. It's the cheapest one of it's model and mileage on Carzone. Another dealer from 100 miles away is trying to buy it off me for resale at around 5500, and he'll be taking profit on it after that. Also, at least two main dealers are advertising looking for this model. So explain to me why I should give 30% off the marked price ????

Now if I increase the price to 8000, then I could give 30% off !!!!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Used cars have actually gotten dearer in the UK in the last 6 months

+1

Cars are also getting scarce here, so bargains will be harder to get. Watch the total number of cars that comes up when you access the Carzone website. Two months ago it was sitting at 63,000. Today it was 55,700. It has dropped 1000 in the last week alone.

So the 07 Sri is costing you 11.5k? Seems like a decent deal to me.
    Might be looking at something like this myself.

How many miles on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

lifer_sean wrote: »
    +1
    Carzone website. Two months ago it was sitting at 63,000. Today it was 55,700. It has dropped 1000 in the last week alone.

I assumed that was because everyone knows nothing is selling and have either given up trying or are sick of paying 40 quid a month or whatever it is only to get "Dr Brown" - who's brother died in Liverpool - interested in it!

There's plenty of cars that are far cheaper than last year out there

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I assumed that was because everyone knows nothing is selling and have either given up trying or are sick of paying 40 quid a month or whatever it is only to get "Dr Brown" - who's brother died in Liverpool - interested in it!

There's plenty of cars that are far cheaper than last year out there

First point - Carzone is 40 quid per month (25 for repeats) for one-off adverts only. Dealers have the option of paying a flat monthly rate, so they are not paying per car. What's the percentage of private vs dealer adverts on Carzone ... 10% vs 90% ????

Second point - what gives you the impression that nothing is selling ? Yes the big dealers that have unrealistic prices are not selling. Also big luxury barges are not selling (now is the time to buy that X5 you always wanted). New cars are not selling (but that also means there are no trade-ins, so no supply of secondhands). However, small / medium cars up to 6000-7000, and diesels, are still in demand and selling well if priced properly.

Third point ... of course cars are cheaper than last year ... they are a year older !

Any independent dealer will tell you that right now they are having problems buying stock. Cars are scarce here, and UK has dried up as a source since the price increases there in Jan/Feb. My point is that the Carzone adverts number reflects this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

So the 07 Sri is costing you 11.5k? Seems like a decent deal to me.
    Might be looking at something like this myself.

How many miles on it?

16k was the milage on the sri....pickin it up for round €10,500...

Advertisement