Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cello lessons for 3 yr old

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for someone to give cello lessons to my 3 year old daughter starting in September.
    We're living in the Stillorgan area of Dublin so somewhere near here would be preferable.
    I have enquired with Newpark but they just teach general music classes until the age of 6/7. I would prefer not to send her to the Academy or anywhere that puts an emphasis on doing grade exams. (I learned through the Suzuki method so would be interested in a similar approach)

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Maybe try Leeson Park...

http://www.lpsm.ie/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Maybe try Leeson Park...

http://www.lpsm.ie/index.htm

Indeed! The pre-instrumental course there is excellent, by all accounts. Not sending her to the Academy is a wise choice in any case, even though Denise Coleman's pre-instrumental course in there is decent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

and bring the toddler to the swimming pool you overbearing pressure parent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

and bring the toddler to the swimming pool you overbearing pressure parent

That's a bit harsh. Has it not occurred to you that maybe the little girl wants to learn the cello? I started piano as a very young child. They couldn't keep me away from the instrument. I teach piano to children and I find that the younger ones actually pester the parents to let them learn.

Oh, and I loved swimming too, but not in a swimming pool ;)!!

Fiona, I hope you find a good teacher, and I'm sure that your daughter will thoroughly enjoy playing. She is lucky to be given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Ok thanks, I'll have a look into that place.
    Iv actually played violin since I was 3 - she sees me playing & wants to join in! - so thats why im interested in starting her young. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Fiona44 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for someone to give cello lessons to my 3 year old daughter starting in September.
    We're living in the Stillorgan area of Dublin so somewhere near here would be preferable.
    I have enquired with Newpark but they just teach general music classes until the age of 6/7. I would prefer not to send her to the Academy or anywhere that puts an emphasis on doing grade exams. (I learned through the Suzuki method so would be interested in a similar approach)

Thanks for any help :)

tbh 3 is a bit young for starting the cello - it's common for violinists to start aged 2 1/2 alright, but cellists tend to be about 5 or 6 when they start. Many teachers will not take such a young student.

But anyway, if you still want to send your three-year-old for cello lessons, the academy is actually excellent for cello, Bill Butt produces many outstanding students, and there are other excellent cello teachers there too - although as I said, they might not take her yet because of your age, but 2 years isn't long to wait! While you don't like the assessment approach (they have internal assessments rather than grade exams), it will probably be very difficult to find such a good teacher outside of a musical institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xheni

Fiona44 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for any help :)[/quote

Hi Fiona, It is my husband that teaches cello at Newpark and has done there for nearly ten years. The reason there is a entry age for lessons, is that in order to progress at a reasonable rate and level it is important that children are at an age, to understand the instrument to enjoy it.We started our son Fiona at 3, and to be honest it is only now that he really enjoys the instrument and understands, and he is seven. If you can afford the cost of lessons for your child and understand that you will not likely see progress for three or four years , then feel free to contact me, I will speak to my husband, and see what he thinks, most teachers will not take children before the age of 6, but lets see what you think, and its lovely your daughter takes an interest in music and it is a lovely example that you are offering your child this gift, well done!!!

Advertisement