Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's new prices

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right thread so feel free to move it mods.

Anybody shop in any of the 11 border tesco's yet and did you save much more than usual. Haven't gone myself yet and I'm just wondering is it worth my while.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Rip of Ireland thread has a list of cheaper items listed; only way to find out is to go there and do a virtual shopping bag based on what you'd normally buy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right thread so feel free to move it mods.

Anybody shop in any of the 11 border tesco's yet and did you save much more than usual. Haven't gone myself yet and I'm just wondering is it worth my while.
    it is probably just another shot at their "trash-savers"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

foggy_lad wrote: »
    it is probably just another shot at their "trash-savers"

It isn't. In fact I couldn't even see these any more. Quite a range of stuff as part of it. But hard to say how much I've saved as was only a smallish top-up of stuff. Some fruit and veg cheaper, some meat, milk down and a lot of other brands as well. All well-highlighted and worth a look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 scruff murphy

Nody wrote: »
    Rip of Ireland thread has a list of cheaper items listed; only way to find out is to go there and do a virtual shopping bag based on what you'd normally buy though.
    has anyone noticed in the last few months the gradual withdrawel of some of the tesco own brand toiletries off the shelves in Ireland. I have, especially hair gels, childrens shampoos etc. All in an effort to make one buy the dearer brands methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

has anyone noticed in the last few months the gradual withdrawel of some of the tesco own brand toiletries off the shelves in Ireland. I have, especially hair gels, childrens shampoos etc. All in an effort to make one buy the dearer brands methinks!

I've noticed that, then head off to Dunnes, where the dearer brands seem to be less dear.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've noticed that, then head off to Dunnes, where the dearer brands seem to be less dear.
    I tried that but still rip off. Up the north hair gell 96p. can you believe it? When did you last buy anything of value for under a euro here.:eek:

I tried that but still rip off. Up the north hair gell 96p. can you believe it? When did you last buy anything of value for under a euro here.:eek:

Some of those plastic carrier-bags are quite stylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Still cheaper up north, and I'll continue to shop there.

Here's some of the new prices as of from today:
    Tesco South - Caburys Twirl 5 pk - €2.00
    Tesco North - Caburys Twirl 5 pk - £1.00 (€1.13)

Tesco South - Tesco Garden Peas 1kg - €1.79
    Tesco North - Tesco Garden Peas 1kg - £1.50 (€1.69)

Tesco South - Nestle Cheerios 600g - €3.45
    Tesco North - Nestle Cheerios 600g - £2.78 (€3.14)

Tesco South - Milupa Aptamil Follow on Milk 900g - €9.65
    Tesco North - Milupa Aptamil Follow on Milk 900g - £7.90 (€8.92)

Tesco South - Lynx Africa Bodyspray 150ml - €2.85
    Tesco North - Lynx Africa Bodyspray 150ml - £2.28 (€2.57)

Tesco South - Elvive Colour Protect Shampoo 400ml - €3.99
    Tesco North - Elvive Colour Protect Shampoo 400ml - £3.16 (€3.56)

Tesco South - Gillette Venus 4 Blades - €6.89
    Tesco North - Gillette Venus 4 Blades - £5.80 (€6.54)

Tesco South - Plenty White Kitchen Towel 2 roll - €1.99
    Tesco North - Plenty White Kitchen Towel 2 roll - £1.00 (€1.13)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Feels like I've fallen through the looking glass.

So Tesco can drop prices by up to 20% (or whatever) in outlets close to the border.....but what about the rest of us....say in Munster.....
    Tesco doesn't mind continuing to rip us off? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

As far as I'm aware from reading and listening today, the Border stores are a trial then if successful the new prices and stock will rollout to the rest of Ireland.

Milk, Meat, Poultry AFAIK are price dropped throughout all Tescos from today.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. Appreciate the clarification.

Though, I'd have thought that Aldi and Lidl had already
    proved the concept of lower prices.

No brainer! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

hellboy99 wrote: »

Still more expensive to wipe yer arse, what is the world coming to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Max001 wrote: »

So Tesco can drop prices by up to 20% (or whatever) in outlets close to the border.....but what about the rest of us....say in Munster.....

Pissed me off rightly.
    Im staying out of Tesco now until i get the same price as everyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you had taken the time to read the news, you would have seen that Tesco Douglas is part of their new strategy. You may still have to travel, but probably not quite as far. Their PR people say that this is a test, though whether you can believe that or not is another question entirely.

Of course supporting local industry and farmers is an important factor too. You're all aware that it's not just about price, right? That there are longer term issues at hand here?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Doesnt it cost more in petrol to drive to and from the north to save a few euro, and a few cents in places on some things?

krudler wrote: »
    Doesnt it cost more in petrol to drive to and from the north to save a few euro, and a few cents in places on some things?
    Not for me, I'm only a 10 minute drive from Newry.

Every other supermarket down here in this neck of the woods will also continue in the same way as they've done for decades. They were doing it long before Tesco showed up and nobody batted an eyelid. Nothing like a good price war to get the juices flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Tesco are gangsters. Think they are especially expensive in their fresh meat and fruit and vegetables and the quality of this produce definately ain't fantastic with em either.

Still Hellboy, at least theyre making an effort. It just goes to show how stupid we all were on the back on the celtic tiger, paying the rip of prices, and now, how Tesco can well afford to lower their prices!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

To late I say...there only protecting themselves by attempting to bring prices down around the border so they won’t lose any more business.

Why shop in Tesco’s close to the border when you can travel across the border and get better service, better choice, better prices......need I say more.

• Advertisement

Tesco are gangsters. Think they are especially expensive in their fresh meat and fruit and vegetables and the quality of this produce definately ain't fantastic with em either.
    Their meat and veg are pure ****. Always reminds me of a post nuclear war shop, veg all looks the same, meat all looks the same and staff all look the same! Wierd and sterile. Theres no atmosphere, and no proper customer care. Sainsbury staff are so polite and pleasant. I cant believe it , and their mostly young. Whereas in my opinionthe young staff in the south mainly arrogant, rude and up their own asses!:eek::eek::eek:

veg all looks the same, meat all looks the same and staff all look the same
    Um, and that's a bad thing? Do you want yours brown and hairy or something?

I'm no fan of some of Tesco's policies, but I fail to understand the vitriol and rhetoric that erupts about them on Boards. If they dragged you into the shop and pushed you around I'd understand, but of course that's not the case. If you don't like it, don't go in there. If that's already the case then you're not qualified to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All these items are still available except for the kids detangling spray and the strawberry shampoo, they are temperely out of stock. These sell out soooo quickly I can't keep them on the shelves.

I would love to have way more own brand cosmetics, its such a bonus when you get a cheap item that does the job as good as the brand 1.

Most are from the same manufactures anyway and they seem to be made in massive batches then disappear then re-appear.

Years ago I worked in a factory where we made a generic brand when we had no big orders.

dahamsta wrote: »
    If you had taken the time to read the news, you would have seen that Tesco Douglas is part of their new strategy. You may still have to travel, but probably not quite as far. Their PR people say that this is a test, though whether you can believe that or not is another question entirely.

Of course supporting local industry and farmers is an important factor too. You're all aware that it's not just about price, right? That there are longer term issues at hand here?

Thanks for the information, however you can keep your attitude. FYI I've consulted with a variety of supermarket suppliers over the years and I know exactly how the supply chain works and who earns what margins.
    Most of my weekly spend goes to the English Market! (Cork)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

from listening to news reports it would seem that tescos are bypassing the irish wholesalers and buying products direct from the uk and saving a lot because the irish wholesalers have been charging so much more, why have tesco only started this now? why have they not been buying cheaper and getting the best for their customers all along?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    why have tesco only started this now? why have they not been buying cheaper and getting the best for their customers all along?
    Why do you think, "big profits", they haven't now just done this to help the customer, they've done it cause they're losing customers and money.

To be honest I can't see many stopping going up north because of this, Asda and Sainburys are still cheaper, and their meat and veg is far better too.

Thanks for the information, however you can keep your attitude.
    It's not attitude, it's simply a fact. If you had taken the time to read the news about this before you logged on and ranted, you would have known what I pointed out. You have a problem with facts?
    Most of my weekly spend goes to the English Market! (Cork)
    Well done. Do you want a medal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

People rant and rave when there prices are too high

People rant and rave when they lower there prices

People rant and rave about there profits yet forget there a company

People rant and rave about the losses to Irish company's , yet decide I am going to shop up north

People rant and rave about Tesco any time they do something for the customer

Yet again I see it is the only Supermarket actully coming down alot in price, If aldi and lidl where cheap before, why can't they be cheaper now?

Fare play for the detailed list hellboy;););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

i used to do my weekly shopping in Tesco's for years and then one week decided to do it in Dunnes, i have to say i havent gone back to tescos. i find dunnes cheaper and at least they are irish!

Advertisement