Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's new prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

ash_18x wrote: »
    i used to do my weekly shopping in Tesco's for years and then one week decided to do it in Dunnes, i have to say i havent gone back to tescos. i find dunnes cheaper and at least they are irish!

Yes Dunnes are Irish and all their profits are divided between about 8 Irish people who are nearly all from the same family, whereas Tesco is a public company and as such, many of its shares are owned by pension funds which are in turn owned by thousands of everyday people all over the world including Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I think this move by Tesco is exactly what this country needs, it will be a right kick in the backside to Irish suppliers. In the long term it may be exactly what is needed, it will force Irish suppliers to cut their own costs.

People go on about the cost of business here which we all know is higher, the consumer association stated recently that they estimate it's between 8-12%. That doesn't go anywhere near explaining how branded items here can quite often be more than double the price in the south as they are up north.

It will be interesting to see what Dunnes and Superquinn will make of this, as if Tesco bring these prices countrywide the others are in serious trouble. They will have to find ways to bring their own prices down to compete.

In a few years we may all look back at this move as the beginning of the end of the rip off republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 scruff murphy

darc wrote: »
    Yes Dunnes are Irish and all their profits are divided between about 8 Irish people who are nearly all from the same family, whereas Tesco is a public company and as such, many of its shares are owned by pension funds which are in turn owned by thousands of everyday people all over the world including Ireland.
    Dunnes defo cheaper and meat fruit and veg much better. Really, we should try to buy Irish. We are only fooling ourselves if we dont. But its just so hard to trust the supermarkets when you see how easily they can bring down prices. You just wonder how much they were ripping us off all along.:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

masterK wrote: »
    I think this move by Tesco is exactly what this country needs.

It is . It is a repeat of what Tesco did in Denmark . That was wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Tesco are gangsters. Think they are especially expensive in their fresh meat and fruit and vegetables and the quality of this produce definately ain't fantastic with em either.
    Their meat and veg are pure ****.
    Dunnes defo cheaper and meat fruit and veg much better. Really, we should try to buy Irish. We are only fooling ourselves if we dont.

Well refuse to buy Irish meats from now on considering all their fresh meat is sourced in the republic. Go elsewhere and support English or Brazilian farmers. Scruff is contradicting himself considering not all the meat from Dunnes is Irish and you'll be lucky to find a chicken from the hot bar that ever took one breath of Irish air. You don't have the facts yet have no problems making wild statements like you do. Just because you purchase something in an Irish owned store does not make it Irish.

I've never seen so wild and misinformed statements in all these Tesco threads. Others and myself have said ths before, this is purely because it's Tesco.
    Where's all the threads asking if Tesco can do it why can't Dunnes or Superquinn do it ?

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is . It is a repeat of what Tesco did in Denmark . That was wonderful.

Spongebob, youre scaring me! Tesco to invade. omg. Theyre probably watching us now! Hacking into our systems, planning to capture us and imprison us to a life serving at the deli counter for the rest of our lives!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dear Jip

I for one, always look for Irish sourced meat in any supermarket I go too, and that includes Dunnes and Tesco. Mind you, is that any gaurantee of quality? Your memory is short, the pork scare only months ago, and the beef scare a few years ago. Superquinn has been trying to bring prices down for the last couple of years, and have wonderful promotions every week. As for Tesco, fair play, but lets not get carried away. Lets wait and see, because all that glitters is not gold, and as I have said in an earlier thread, I, as a keen shopper, have noticed a withdrawel of a lot of their own brand toiletries over the last few months, forcing me to look elsewhere for alternatives. :D:D:D

Eh, what's the pork scare got to do with any of the supermakets ? It was due to feed, from a feed manufacturer, fed to pigs, at a piggery. Your memory is confusing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I agree win JIP.
    Tesco gets bad press no matter what it does.
    Dunnes could abduct small Irish children, sell them in the far east and people would say "ah... at least they're Irish".

The fact is, 13000 people in this country are directly employed by Tesco and a lot more indirectly.
    I don't know why people are so anti Tesco. They are making real efforts to reduce prices and are spending millions on it.

Take for example the recent alcohol licensing legislation. This states that all alcohol products must be sold from an alcohol section or aisle, it is illegal to sell it from anywhere else in the store, including at the front entrance.
    Go into any Dunnes and you will trip over their alcohol displays that are at the entrance, around their fresh food depts and on special offer end displays that are not in alcohol sections. They have ignored this legislation from the start. You won't find any breach of this in any Tesco but if 1 breach did occur you'd be sure to find it in the papers and on here stating that Tesco are irresponsible retailers targeting children with alcohol etc.. forcing the people of Ireland to binge drink on cheap alcohol then indirectly causing all sorts of drink fuelled rows and clogging up A&E rooms and suddenly the whole health service problem is Tesco's fault.

But at least Dunnes are "Irish".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jarvis wrote: »
    Take for example the recent alcohol licensing legislation. This states that all alcohol products must be sold from an alcohol section or aisle, it is illegal to sell it from anywhere else in the store, including at the front entrance.
    It is not illegal, it is only a recommended code of practise.

http://www.rgdata.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=373&Itemid=197
    The Responsible Sale of Alcohol Code of Practice will be launched by Justice, Equality & Law Reform Minister Dermot Ahern TD shortly and mixed traders are urged to start implementing the Code from December 1.

A handy checklist is being developed to assist mixed traders in ensuring that they are complying with the Code. All members of RGDATA who have a full off licence or a wine licence are urged to check out the Code and the Explanatory Guidelines available in the recent RGDATA Update or by clicking here.

Mixed traders will be contacted formally to sign up to the Code but in the meantime all are advised to start preparations so that the key measures can be implement from December 1.

The check list will address all the key issues that will ensure compliance with the Code ie Have I moved all the alcohol to one area in the shop? Have I removed all end of gondola alcohol displays? Have I removed all alcohol branded signage from front of shop? Have all staff that sell alcohol undergone the training? Have I stopped all cross merchandising of alcohol?

RGDATA will post the checklist on the members only section of the website next week.
    I fully agree with the anti-tesco press. Seems like the favourite one to hate, like microsoft/ipod/budweiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

rubadub wrote: »
    It is not illegal, it is only a recommended code of practise.

http://www.rgdata.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=373&Itemid=197

I fully agree with the anti-tesco press. Seems like the favourite one to hate, like microsoft/ipod/budweiser.

Sorry, You,re right but the legislation is passed.
    The minister has given the retail industry an opportunity to self regulate and if he decides the code of practice isn't effective he can sign it into law overnight which would mean all retailers would have to have a seperate section in the shop that could be sealed off correctly and have it's own cash point etc. Tesco would probably find this easier to adhere to than a lot of small retailers due to associated costs etc, but it is committed to self regulation!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

dahamsta wrote: »
    It's not attitude, it's simply a fact. If you had taken the time to read the news about this before you logged on and ranted, you would have known what I pointed out. You have a problem with facts?

Well done. Do you want a medal?

Change the record! And you do have a poor attitude! You can easily make people aware of things, without making assumptions, without being judgemental, without being abusive and without being snide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can make yourself aware of things by reading the news before spouting ignorant guff about topics you don't understand. G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

You can make yourself aware of things by reading the news before spouting ignorant guff about topics you don't understand. G'luck.

So far as I understand it, people use boards to exchange information. Your judgemental attitude and insults say more about you than anything else. Now I'm going to give you the attention you deserve, .i.e. none :D

Max001 wrote: »
    So far as I understand it, people use boards to exchange information. Your judgemental attitude and insults say more about you than anything else. Now I'm going to give you the attention you deserve, .i.e. none :D

oh touchy touchy! as long as theres consumers like you out there, firms need never worry about competition or prices. Best of luck.:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

This seems like a good move by Tesco on the surface, but may turn out to be terrible for the Irish economy and Irish jobs in the very near future. When they first moved into Ireland, they promised to use the same Irish suppliers and products as Quinnswoth. They have slowly diluted this over time by sourcing more and more products through the UK, and this final move means the Irish stores will now be virtual clones of the UK ones, using UK buying power to get UK prices from UK suppliers.

A friend works in the head office of an Irish supermarket chain, and they can't even buy the products for wholesale in Ireland for the prices Tesco are selling them at. They don't have the buying power.

The big Tesco monster will again swallow all the competition.

eightyfish wrote: »
    This seems like a good move by Tesco on the surface, but may turn out to be terrible for the Irish economy and Irish jobs in the very near future.
    This would be my concern. It creates a major risk to indigenous industry, and of monopolies and cartels. I realise that these are tough times, but Irish people need to think beyond the short-term bottom line, they need to think ahead to being screwed to the wall with no choices later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

What dahamsta has been saying....+1

have a read of this, particularly the quote

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0502/1224245835685.html

"Last November at a Bord Bia conference, economist Jim Power had some pithy advice. People crossing the Border to shop, he suggested, might wish to put the money they save into a bank account, so that they can afford flights to Australia to visit their sons and daughters in years to come, because those trips across the Border will reduce the prospects of those children ever having jobs in Ireland."

It's more aimed at the "i'm being ripped off down south" brigade; I don't deny prices are higher. Nor do i deny what may well happen in the long run.

Food for thought.

BTW, it would be great if the people saying that this'll give Irish suppliers a funt up the arse could read the Economy of scale article on Wikipedia before commenting again. Yes, Irish suppliers sometimes gouge, but in the majority of cases it's simply this basic economic principle at play. And there are exceptions in the other direction, such as milk, where Tesco are actually the ones gouging - the wholesale price of milk has halved in the past year or so, and Tesco's price hasn't come anywhere close to that - and Irish suppliers are making little or no profit.

- the wholesale price of milk has halved in the past year or so, and Tesco's price hasn't come anywhere close to that - and Irish suppliers are making little or no profit.

Jaysus lads, I feel I should be working in the PR dept of Tesco, but your post should read

- the wholesale price of milk has halved in the past year or so, and Tesco's, Dunnes, Superquinns, Supervalus or any of the Musgrave goup, Spar, Lidl, Aldl or any corner shops price hasn't come anywhere close to that - and Irish suppliers are making little or no profit.

What's with the selective minds, is it that Tesco is British ?

• Advertisement

Fair point Jip, however that's a selective quote. Read the rest of my posts (and my blog), I'm hardly a cheerleader for Tesco.

I understand that, but the point I'm making is that people are by and large neglecting the fact that Tesco are not the sole company in Ireland operating in such a way. At the moment it seems that they're just the popular target for reasons which I largely suspect is purely because they're British.

Someone else just posted a link from back in January I think it is highlighting the fact that Superquinn are turning to northern distributors but yet I don't recall similar threads started over that move.

Their being British IS a factor though Jip, and an important one since the majority of the profits are exported out of the country. (Employment is certainly a factor, but I don't subscribe to the right-wing view that it's the be-all and end-all.) Of course if the owners of Dunnes and Superquinn have exported their holding companies abroad like many other Irish companies, then the same anger should apply to them too.

Jip wrote: »
    Someone else just posted a link from back in January I think it is highlighting the fact that Superquinn are turning to northern distributors but yet I don't recall similar threads started over that move.

Superquinn are the only Irish supermarket to use Irish (Republic) chicken/beef/pork in their ready meals and all their own branded products, as well as all pre-packed meats.

You'll find a lot of chicken with the little Irish flag is northern Irish. If it has the Board Bia sticker, it's definitely southern Irish.

The thing is Sq are tiny.

"Hi Lever Brothers, this is Dave from Tesco. We have 2,282 stores. What price can you give us?"
    "Hi Lever Brothers, this is Dave from Superquinn. We have 20 stores. What price can you give us?"

Their being British IS a factor though Jip, and an important one since the majority of the profits are exported out of the country. (Employment is certainly a factor, but I don't subscribe to the right-wing view that it's the be-all and end-all.) Of course if the owners of Dunnes and Superquinn have exported their holding companies abroad like many other Irish companies, then the same anger should apply to them too.

Well Dunnes is a private company so all the profits stay within that family plus an assortment of trusted directors.

As Tesco is a PLC not only do shareholders do well if the company does well, so do the employees because afaik they have a decent employee share purchasing scheme going on. Add this to the fact that their shares have been doing well for years you have alot of invesment in these shares such as for various pension schemes so there's thousands of people doing ok out of Tescos shares and profits that are not directly associated with Tesco.

If you think that solely because they're British is an issue you'll have vey few places to buy anything in this country, they're very few Irish owned companies in comparison to British, European or American companies operating over here.

Eightyfish, I'll concede the ready meals point as I assume they'd use British chicken there, however with regards to over the counter chicken there's about a 60/40 split with preference going to the north. Dunnes however are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Ya that's what I was thinking when they announced the price drops :(
    Max001 wrote: »
    Feels like I've fallen through the looking glass.

So Tesco can drop prices by up to 20% (or whatever) in outlets close to the border.....but what about the rest of us....say in Munster.....
    Tesco doesn't mind continuing to rip us off? :confused:

Jip wrote: »
    Eightyfish, I'll concede the ready meals point as I assume they'd use British chicken there, however with regards to over the counter chicken there's about a 60/40 split with preference going to the north. Dunnes however are worse.

I' be surprised if this was true, where'd you read it?

True about Dunnes though.

This is actually a really good article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

jarvis wrote: »
    Sorry, You,re right but the legislation is passed.
    The minister has given the retail industry an opportunity to self regulate and if he decides the code of practice isn't effective he can sign it into law overnight which would mean all retailers would have to have a seperate section in the shop that could be sealed off correctly and have it's own cash point etc. Tesco would probably find this easier to adhere to than a lot of small retailers due to associated costs etc, but it is committed to self regulation!

Dunnes are blatantly displaying their wine in the middle of theri stores, I think they want the full blown law to come in as they're totally ready, like in their cornelscourt one where they have a seperate off licence on the other side of the centre

• Advertisement

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Ya that's what I was thinking when they announced the price drops :(

It has been mentioned in this thread, several other Tesco threads and any news articles that the intention is to roll it out through the rest of the county eventually.

eightyfish, I remember being told about it before by someone and then that guy Keohane was on Today FM and said the same thing with the reasoning being that there's a concentration of poultry farming north of the border.

Advertisement