Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE and impartiality

• 05-05-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

The recent FOI request that turned up the fact that RTE was making a cut of the sales of Ferrieter's Judging Dev book really made me sit up and look at how our national broadcaster can be quite the little shill when it wants to be.

Case in point - today on the PK radio show - feature with MD of Tesco Ireland about how Tesco's are reducing prices and sourcing more goods from outside ROI in order to be more competitive with cross border shops, etc, etc, etc.

Cue roving reporting talking to 'delighted' Tesco customer in the Drogheda branch. 'Delighted' customer said that she was delighted with all the new cuts and from now on she would would be doing all her grocery shopping south of the border (obviously a non-smoking tee-total vegan).

Then they cut to an ad break when the feature wrapped up. Can you guess who the first ad was for? Yes, das reight.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think you may be reading a bit too much into todays coincidence. While RTE obviously needs Tescos money esp right now it would get it anyway. As regards Ms Delighted, well any shopper would be :) I suspect the place was not full of peeps who were there to be pissed off about the prices as everyone in there was there cos of the prices today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

While not commenting on Rté's shilling activity in general, regarding the dark spectre of Tescos looming ominously over the editorial output on our nations airwaves, I think it was more to the omniprecence of tesco advertising rather than any ulterior motive.

I was listening to my local radio station this morning talking about the case of the Dublin mother who's daughter is in a Laotian jail for drug smuggling. This was followed immediately by an ad for tescos.

Last week Ronan Collins mentioned on his show that He had been to a production of "The Producers" in the Gaiety. This too was immediately followed by an ad for tescos.

Now unless Tesco have an undeclared interest in the Asian drug trade and the Rathmines Rathgar musical society, I'd say what you heard was just coincidence, possibly based on an enormous advertising campaign (very welcome to all media at the mo) which means you cant currently turn around without encountering an ad for Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Case in point - today on the PK radio show - feature with MD of Tesco Ireland about how Tesco's are reducing prices and sourcing more goods from outside ROI in order to be more competitive with cross border shops, etc, etc, etc.

Cue roving reporting talking to 'delighted' Tesco customer in the Drogheda branch. 'Delighted' customer said that she was delighted with all the new cuts and from now on she would would be doing all her grocery shopping south of the border (obviously a non-smoking tee-total vegan).

Then they cut to an ad break when the feature wrapped up. Can you guess who the first ad was for? Yes, das reight.....

Did you listen to th full interview ? They also had someone pointing out what was more expensive than Dunnes across the border and also the IFA on to challenge Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

While not commenting on Rté's shilling activity in general, regarding the dark spectre of Tescos looming ominously over the editorial output on our nations airwaves, I think it was more to the omniprecence of tesco advertising rather than any ulterior motive.

I was listening to my local radio station this morning talking about the case of the Dublin mother who's daughter is in a Laotian jail for drug smuggling. This was followed immediately by an ad for tescos.

Last week Ronan Collins mentioned on his show that He had been to a production of "The Producers" in the Gaiety. This too was immediately followed by an ad for tescos.

Now unless Tesco have an undeclared interest in the Asian drug trade and the Rathmines Rathgar musical society, I'd say what you heard was just coincidence, possibly based on an enormous advertising campaign (very welcome to all media at the mo) which means you cant currently turn around without encountering an ad for Tesco.

I find people calling the store "Tescos" very very annoying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Flutterinbantam, I find your attempt to belittle other's contributions to this forum very, very annoying.

• Advertisement

I find people posting irrelevant posts on threads very annoying, particularly people who should know better. At least FlutterinBantams was on topic, if you have a problem with him PM him and take it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jip, you do know tSubh Dearg is a radio mod as in a radio mod?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

The Irish media, indeed the worldwide media, has been bought by corporations as an advertising tool - and the media have been intimdated by these big companies power and money - there's very little impartiality in the media.

A friend of mine who works for a national newspaper told me that if a posh department store on grafton street pays alot to put a big advertisement in the newspaper - that paper makes sures that there are at least 4 articles mentioning how good that store ois n the same day the advert appears in the newspaper.

I'd say the same goes for any media which relies on advertising revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Particularly on TV, RTE hasn't been impartial for as long as I remember. Look at Hector on last week's Late Late: he did nothing but shill 3 different things he's involved in. Whenever someone Irish who has a job in television is interviewed on RTE they are always someone who works for RTE. Now, I know Ireland has a small TV industry but still, RTE are by no means impartial. They take taxpayers' money and money from advertisers!

mike65 wrote: »
    Jip, you do know tSubh Dearg is a radio mod as in a radio mod?!

Yes, hence my point. My point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jip wrote: »
    I find people posting irrelevant posts on threads very annoying, particularly people who should know better. At least FlutterinBantams was on topic, if you have a problem with him PM him and take it elsewhere.

No backseat modding, please.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Jip wrote: »
    If you have a problem with my modding you should PM either myself, monkeyfudge or tbh. Otherwise you should take it to the help desk.

There is no need for backseat modding on thread, dragging it further off topic.

Advertisement