Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon HF100 for videos on a website?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

I've been doing a bit of research (based on a lot of your posts here, thanks) on the camera I am going to buy for a little website video project I am working on.

Basically I want to make some fairly decent quality videos which I'll stick online. They have to be high resolution and look 'professional'.

I also plan on buying some sort of lighting system so where ever I film will always be well lit.

What do you guys think of the Canon Hf100?

All the reviews online are positive, and it seems to be a cheap professional-ish quality camera. Would you agree with this?

Is it overkill or underkill for video clips which will appear on a webpage?

Bear in mind I will (probably) be adding some effects to the videos so they glow a little bit, sort of like a dream.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Hi there

That camera will likely do what you need (you don't hint at the subject matter). Just bear in mind that a camera by itself won't automagically produce excellent results;

Things can look flat if you don'f think about lighting.
    Things can jiggle if you don't think about stabalisation.
    Things can sound tinny if you don't think about microphones.
    Things can flow poorly if you don't think about editing.

Then there's framing, exposure, focus etc.

And that's before you even think about the content of your video.

To produce good results, I'd advise thinking about a budget beyond the initial camera.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for your reply.

I plan on buying a tripod to hold the camera, a microphone for better sound, and to create some sort of cheapish light setup so my room has plenty of light.

I'm currently learning adobe premier and after effects so I can make my little movies appear semi-professional.

I'm not in a hurry, so I plan to do a lot of trial and error - basically see what works and what doesn't.

Cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I plan on buying a tripod to hold the camera, a microphone for better sound, and to create some sort of cheapish light setup so my room has plenty of light.

Its not just about having lots of light. The typical setup is known as 3 point lighting. this is what gives you good depth of field and reduces shadows on the subject. Key light, fill light and backlight. This is what you should be aiming for.
    You'll find plenty of useful info if you just google that term.

Advertisement