Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big changes for the OSI 1:50000 series maps.

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

These changes include fewer maps for the whole island and renumbering of maps (i.e 56 will be known as 31). But the biggest change will be changing how grid references will be calculated. The OSI are planning to change from the old Irish grid reference to something called "Irish Transverse Mercator". This might have an adverse effect an older models of GPS, but also might negatively effect navigation for the recreational walker. The links seem to suggest if might effect navigation on tricky spots and so on.

http://www.walkersassociation.ie/OSIDiscovery/consultation/DiscoveryITM

http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?ids=community&community_option=newsletters&newsmonth=2009-05

Perhaps for those of us living in Dublin and Wicklow we need not worry - this region is partially covered by the Harveys map and the latest very welcome east-west map. And east-west mapping are planning to cover all of the south dublin/wicklow region (all in gloriously detailed 1:30000). Perhaps my well worn 50/56/61 maps can be consigned to the attic.

But something of an issue for the rest of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interesting. Not a huge deal really, and it makes OSi's job alot easier.

Now, if they'd also address all the other issues that make the 1:50k maps so useless in comparison to the available 3rd party alternatives for outdoor use, they'd be on to something.

dogmatix wrote: »
    The OSI are planning to change from the old Irish grid reference to something called "Irish Transverse Mercator".

Straight outta Star Trek!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I see they're still not going to allow an overlap at the edge - this really annoys me - Croagh Patrick is covered by 4 maps but there's a decent trail there, there's other parts of the country where this is a real issue.

I see they're still not going to allow an overlap at the edge - this really annoys me.

Yeah, that can be real frustrating. Especially when you realise you only need about 1 or 2 centimeteres of the other map, but it skirts it for a significant distance so you feel you kinda need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    Now, if they'd also address all the other issues that make the 1:50k maps so useless in comparison to the available 3rd party alternatives for outdoor use, they'd be on to something.

Such as:confused:

I have to say I've never really had a problem with them. The biggest issue is them being out of date in regards to a lot of tracks, but thats partially my fault haven't bought a new one in about 5 years:o Lamfolds last forever:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Such as:confused:

I have to say I've never really had a problem with them. The biggest issue is them being out of date in regards to a lot of tracks, but thats partially my fault haven't bought a new one in about 5 years:o Lamfolds last forever:)
    They have nowhere near as much detail for a start. Now a lot of that is down to the fact that a lot of (most actually) tracks on the ground have no official status, so the OSi, being a quasi governmental institution, can't be seen to be promoting them, whereas 3rd party companies like Harvey's or East-West don't have that restriction. Other things are the unecessary terrain shading, or the huge texts covering important detail at the tops of major peaks, or the total lack of indication of crags, or the hugely out-of-date forest areas, or the total lack of 1:25k maps for main tourist areas ......

I suppose I'm coming from having used the UK 1:50k and 1:25k OS maps which are (to my mind at least) much clearer and usable, and was bitterly disappointed in the quality of the available mapping when I got here. My Sheet 56 usually stays in the bottom of my rucksack, and it's the Harvey's Wicklow map that gets the most use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I Agree. I'm heading down to Kerry for a holiday later this year and I have the Harveys kerry map and the OSI 1:25K map of the same area. And while the the OSI is very detailed (which you would expect given its scale), it will be the Harveys I will be using when I head down there for some walking.

I would still take the OSI maps with me - as an emergency backup, but would not expect to use them. Since the east west map came out i've barely looked at my map #50.

Advertisement