Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog which is ok with a cat?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

i have a 3 year old cat at the moment which is set in her ways basically

its my only pet, but now im looking for a dog

what dog do you think would be ok to have with the cat?

im aware the cat could not like the dog no matter what, but if the dog is chasing it up the walls its not gonna help :pac:

im looking for a medium to small dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Is it a dog you are looking for?
    If it is, your local pound will be able to suggest a dog based on your needs.

Are you happy that your cat get on with the dog?

Or is it a pup you want and are looking for a suitable breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Potentially any breed of dog will have a problem with your cat. I'd say your two options are : Get a puppy of whatever you want and let it grow up with the cat or get a dog from a pound/organisation which will be able to tell you if THAT particular dog is ok with cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

yeah its a pup im looking for

should i just head down to the pound and see whats there rather than have a breed in mind?

ive never been in a pound before, not sure what to expect

first pet dog since moving from the parents

the cat gets on fine with everything else cats/kids etc... so im confident it wont be a problem on her end

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Any dog can get on with a cat.

I have 2 terriers and a rottweiler and the cats were in the house before the dogs - mind you a kitten and the rottie pup grew up together and they get on great together

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

olaola wrote: »
    Potentially any breed of dog will have a problem with your cat. I'd say your two options are : Get a puppy of whatever you want and let it grow up with the cat or get a dog from a pound/organisation which will be able to tell you if THAT particular dog is ok with cats.

I second this advice....
    If you want a dog to be good around a cat- get an 8-10 week old pup that was raised around cats... or ask a rescue to let you know when they get, or if they have, a dog that is good with cats.

Sorry...I'm all for saving a dog from the pound, but you have no way of telling if a semi mature or full grown poundie is good with cats. The majority of dogs in the pounds have been seized by the warden, or surrendered by the owners....and people who give their pets in to a pound generally don't supply that kind of info.

I have cats and dogs all living indoors, but 5 of the 7 cats spend their time upstairs away from the dogs, so it is possible to have them cohabitating if they don't get on, but it's much nicer to have them both in the same room and even a bigger bonus if they're fond of each other.

If I were in your shoes I would get a pup- small or medium breed so that it can be raised alongside the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Like others said, it depends on the dog, not the breed and you're best adopting a poundie who is either very used to cats and introducing him very slowly to your moggy or getting a puppy. Generally, size of breed doesn't matter either- my mother's cat lives with a terrier and an Old English Sheepdog and takes no notice but as soon as she sees my Cav, her back arches :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Yeah it really is an individual dog thing, I have two ex-racing greyhounds (notorious cat chasers) that would shred a cat if they got a chance, but I know of someone who has an ex-COURSING greyhound and six cats, most of whom now sleep on the greyhound in the sitting room at night...
    I wouldn't chance it with my two (they have a very high prey drive) but I know of many greyhounds who wouldn't even bat an eyelid.
    Any breed you can think that would be intolerant or very good with cats, there'll be someone else on this forum with a story to contradict you!

Advertisement