Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programmatically set outlook express settings

Options
  • 05-05-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if it's possible to set outlook express settings through a program?

Just bought my father a netbook, have set up his e-mail so he can send a receive mail. Problem is that when he's in our house, the outgoing mail settings have to be set to Smart Telecom's SMTP settings, as Smart won't allow port 25 traffic to other providers.
    When he's at home, he needs the outgoing mail changed to his own ISP settings. He may need further options if other Irish ISPs restrict port 25 traffic.

I've given him instructions on how to do this, but since he's not the most technical I though it would be handy to write a program to detect what ISP the netbook is on (which might be tricky in itself) and change the Outlook account mail-out setting accordingly. Just wondering if anyone knows how to change this setting either through a macro in Outlook or an external program?

Worst case I could look at a keystroke recording macro and do it that way, but I'd prefer something more elegant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

MOH wrote: »
    Smart won't allow port 25 traffic to other providers.

wtf Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sean_K wrote: »
    wtf Are you serious?

Yep, outbound traffic has to go through smtp.mysmart.ie for anyone with a dynamic IP address - businesses aren't affected, or anyone else who has a static IP address, but it caused me a lot of pain before I realised that's what the problem was, I was blaming McAfee. It's apparently to cut down on infected PCs sending spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

For anyone else looking, looks like the details are stored in the registry, somewhere under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Windows Messaging Subsystem/Profiles

Advertisement