Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start time out?

Options
  • 05-05-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi:)

At what age did everyone start using time out/naughty step for their children?

For now I can successfully divert my 19 month old so that he doesn't get too frustrated but its getting to the point where he is ignoring "No" and challenging me. I know this is normal :pac: and as long as I can divert him its ok.

I am happy enough to use the diversion technique for as long as I can as I don't necessarily want to be creating a situation where I have to use the step, so after telling him "No" I move him away from whatever it is and take out a toy etc. This will only work for so long though, it doesn't always work as it is.

Whats the best age to start time out? I can't remember when I started it with my 7 year old!! There is the issue of getting them to sit on the step and understanding why they are there etc, this is why I am asking :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I have a 9 y.o., a 4 y.o. and a girl that just turned one. To me 18 months sounds like a reasonable time to start, but this depends on the character of the child. My little lady is already becoming very stubborn, so we might even kick it in sooner in this case. With the first boy we hardly needed time outs, but with the second we started at around 18 months and it worked mostly as a cool down time, though we never got many signs of recognition of the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No point doing it unless he can understand why, if you think he can then try it and see.

Well, my 4 year old still doesn't show signs of understanding.... I am hoping that is him playing mind games, otherwise....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I have decided that, for now, I will buy a little mat and when he does something I will put him on it, tell him what he did was naughty and walk away, he will understand that. OK, he will follow me, but thats not a problem. Then when he is two or two and half I will start getting him to sit there for the 2 minutes.

That seems to me to be a good stop gap. He has the attention span of a gnat so I have to keep it brief, anything more than "no, don't hit the computer" etc would be a waste of time, short is better. Getting him to think about what he has done wrong would also be a complete waste of time lol, he would just have forgotten and gone on to the next thing.

Given the kind of child he is I expect just making the point of putting him on the mat will be enough, for now anyway.

Wish me luck :D Thanks for opinions, appreciate them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Zynks wrote: »
    Well, my 4 year old still doesn't show signs of understanding.... I am hoping that is him playing mind games, otherwise....:rolleyes:

:pac:

I reckon he does, he just chooses to not let you know that :D

You have to admire kids, really you do, they know us every bit as well as we know them!!!

• Advertisement

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    :pac:

I reckon he does, he just chooses to not let you know that :D

You have to admire kids, really you do, they know us every bit as well as we know them!!!

Absolutely! We have a terrible tendency to underestimate the intelligence of those little thingys. :)

Advertisement