Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewal Quote?!!

• 05-05-2009 2:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got my renewal qoute from Quinn-Direct and its up by €300!!! :mad:
    I've read a few examples of insurence companies asking more for a renewal and just wondering why the price hike?? Havent claimed etc and will have my first year ncb!

They do a great job at keeping customers anyway..:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Shop around and don't be afraid to deal with them.

FWIW I got way lower than expected cover from First Ireland this morning, its with AIG. You get better stuff too, like bonus protection and breakdown cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Same here, they were offering me a rubbish renewal price.. I got a few qoutes elsewere and called Quinn up. the guy on the phone wasnt arsed in matching the better qoutes even though ive been with them for 2 years.

told him were to go. changed to no nonsense fully comp best price around for me anyway..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

try 123.ie they seem to be fairly good.

Quinn has lost a lot of money from what I've heard so is upping renewal quotes, also there has been a rise in insurance companies costs so insurance prices have gone up across the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Bollux, reading all this and I'm not looking forward to my renewal, even though it's as far away as November...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ya I plan on shopping aorund after that, is my 1year ncb still usefull to another company or do I have to start all over again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Ya I plan on shopping aorund after that, is my 1year ncb still usefull to another company or do I have to start all over again?

Yeh other companies will recognise your ncb from quinn, you may have to provide them with proof of ncb, it should be on your renewal quote letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I would wholeheartedly reccomend www.25plus.ie

I was with quinn in year 1 for €2k .... Next year along came a quote for €970.... Grand i'll take that!

Oh no says quinn, we misquoted you and it should be €1500. That's still a reduction of €500 I was told

Farce! I went to 25plus and got the quote for €770 (they only do fully comp cover) and that was with 1yr NCB and provisional licence. I passed my test 1 month later and they took another €100 off! It's now €670 and there's a another quote on the way which should be good!

They also include windscreen protection, breakdown cover and a courtesy car as standard. I've never claimed from them so can't vouch for what they're like on claims but for everything else, it's top notch!

I had a friend with quinn, same crap that you got. Price went up. Get yourself a quote on the 25plus website! Well worth it

*No, I don't work for them.... Though they are lovely people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

I would wholeheartedly reccomend www.25plus.ie

I was with quinn in year 1 for €2k .... Next year along came a quote for €970.... Grand i'll take that!

Oh no says quinn, we misquoted you and it should be €1500. That's still a reduction of €500 I was told

Farce! I went to 25plus and got the quote for €770 (they only do fully comp cover) and that was with 1yr NCB and provisional licence. I passed my test 1 month later and they took another €100 off! It's now €670 and there's a another quote on the way which should be good!

They also include windscreen protection, breakdown cover and a courtesy car as standard. I've never claimed from them so can't vouch for what they're like on claims but for everything else, it's top notch!

I had a friend with quinn, same crap that you got. Price went up. Get yourself a quote on the 25plus website! Well worth it

*No, I don't work for them.... Though they are lovely people :p

I got a quote from 25plus and proceeded to go to Quinn who were my insurers at the time.
    I had changed car and wanted to upgrade my renewal from TPF&T to fully comp on a bigger engined more powerful car.
    The renewal they quoted me was a joke, i told them i had found a better quote online and didn't want to renew with them.
    The girl on the phone, was really helpfull but couldn't come down on the original renewal quotation. I said i would renew elsewhere and she proceded to put me through to their 'policy closing dept' (dunno if i have that completely correct) where i spent the next 20mins haggeling(sp?) with the guy on the phone and wound up getting a much lower renewal from them. Not as low as 25plus but with more extras so it balances out in the long run.

So dont be afraid to bargain over a renewal. They will come down on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Just checked out this thread being nosey and having checked out 25plus.ie its seems to be knocking 100euro of my current price. Am currently with Quinn renewing in august so like others awaiting a hike in premium. Happy days if i can get this quote come August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Our quotes this year are up 150 from most. Tried about 8 differnt ones with no claims in anytime in 10 years, car value has fallen and low mileage and they upped the excess from 150 to 400. We were with Hibernian and we were told that they give heavy discounts to new buisness, hence why last years one beat everyone hands down. Call centre in India and it is laughable dealing with them.

123.ie are the winning this year but it is about equal to last years quote of 400 for fully comp on 16000 value car. Hibernians is 550 and the best they would do to get close to 123.ie was 505. FBD, Quinn, Allianz all very high this year. Just need to confirm coverage details with 123 before signing.

Anyone know if this phenomenon is just an Irish thing of large hikes due to downturn or is the UK getting similar 30% rise in premiums. Think I can guess the answer to that one !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Ive being with a broker "creane and creane2 for the last yaer and i got quotes from all major companies etc.They had the best price and also the best policy..which is what to watch out for.Id highly recommend these folks.Check them out and see what they say...

053-9243115

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Im expecting my renewal in the next few weeks, will have to get together a big list of people to ring....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I cant believe people are still shocked by this. I've never recieved a renewal thats anywhere near the other quotes I get, including ones from the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Stekelly wrote: »
    I cant believe people are still shocked by this. I've never recieved a renewal thats anywhere near the other quotes I get, including ones from the same company.
    Haha yea. I remember 1 year i did my quote online. It came to 1500. Grand, so i saved that and when i received my renewal quote it was 1800! I laughed and went ahead with my online quote.

Both quotes were from the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Long ago in the 80s, when I was young and had to pay a lot for insurance, I didn't even have to get a better quote to beat them down. All I had to do was tell them I had a better quote, refuse to tell them how much or from who, and wait for them to give me their best quote. That was often good for 15%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'm sure the conspiracy theory forum will give you an answer more to your liking.

Dont believe conspiracys lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

:D

Have you asked Quinn why your quote is 300 more?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stekelly wrote: »
    Bear in mind that a renewal is on the existing policy but the company may have several other policy types which may be cheaper at the time of enquiry!
    As stekelly says, don't be afraid to ask for quotes on new policies from your insurance company. I have done it several times with the AA (who are brokers) and on several occasions found a 15-25% decrease in the overall cost.

sorry to bring it back from the dead but I thought I would tell you how I got on. It got dropped to €520 which I was happy about :D

You can close the thread if you want, and once again sorry for bringing it back!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

yeah quinn suck.. i was with them for 3 years. 31. no claims bonus

and they still wanted 1300 for a 1.4. ok, i took it, but when i tried to upgrade to a 1.6 they wanted 1900?

well i wasnt quick about telling them to cancel my policy and refund me what i had left.

i called Pat Britton up in donegal and got my fully comp for 660.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My renewal with Zurich was €630 (down from €670 i think). Rang up britton and got it down to €360! Happy days! 27, 4 years NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Zube wrote: »
    Long ago in the 80s, when I was young and had to pay a lot for insurance, I didn't even have to get a better quote to beat them down. All I had to do was tell them I had a better quote, refuse to tell them how much or from who, and wait for them to give me their best quote. That was often good for 15%.
    That'll still work if you're convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    sorry to bring it back from the dead but I thought I would tell you how I got on. It got dropped to €520 which I was happy about :D

With who?

Advertisement