Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with smoked paprika?

• 05-05-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I bought some smoked paprika because it sounded interesting and then realized that I hardly ever use regular paprika, so I'm not really sure what to do with it. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I put it in every tomato based sauce I make. From Chorizo pasta to chilli. Love it, couldn't live without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

cozmik wrote: »
    I bought some smoked paprika because it sounded interesting and then realized that I hardly ever use regular paprika, so I'm not really sure what to do with it. Any recommendations?

I use it in thai fish cakes.
    Blend raw fish, add fish sauce, fresh chilli and garlic, lemon grass, corriander, spring onion, seasoning, smoked paprika, and a tint of 5 spice.

Make into 5cm disc's, 1cm thick, fry, finish under the grill. yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

olaola wrote: »
    I put it in every tomato based sauce I make. From Chorizo pasta to chilli. Love it, couldn't live without it!
    That's odd, personally I think it's one of the foulest tasting things on the planet. Normal paprika yes, but smoked, definitely no. I bought some once and ended up throwing it in the bin. Each to their own, though, I suppose.

Alun wrote: »
    That's odd, personally I think it's one of the foulest tasting things on the planet. Normal paprika yes, but smoked, definitely no. I bought some once and ended up throwing it in the bin. Each to their own, though, I suppose.

I've tasted some awful stuff - depends on what you get really. The tesco have an own brand which is some of the nicest I've bought. Have bought some in Hungary (dunno what I was buying really) and it was very bitter, not my cup of tea at all.

I've tasted some awful stuff - depends on what you get really. The tesco have an own brand which is some of the nicest I've bought. Have bought some in Hungary (dunno what I was buying really) and it was very bitter, not my cup of tea at all.
    It was a Tesco one that I bought :pac:.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    It was a Tesco one that I bought :pac:.

The one in the clear plastic container!? You can send me your pack then :P

The one in the clear plastic container!? You can send me your pack then :P
    It's long gone, I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Paprika in a clear container? Hope you stored it better than that or it'd turn to flavourless dust inside of a month :D

I like it in chillis, tomato sauces for meat, spice rubs, seasoned breadcrumbs for frying, things like that. Don't use a lot - a quarter teaspoon is about what I'd use normally or the other flavours get overpowered and muddied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

What does it say on the packet you got in Hungary? As there are about 7 different types available there. It could be csemege (delicate), édesnemes (sweet, the most commonly used), erős (hot); all of which have different applications.

Did it taste bitter when you cooked it? As it burns very easily, they don't cook it over direct heat, e.g. after sweating some onion in oil until soft, they'll move the pot off the heat, add the paprika and stir, then put it back over low heat, before adding the next ingredient (usually water then meat, as for a pörkölt stew.)

Smoked paprika, or pimentón, is used mostly in Spanish cuisine, from paella, to patatas bravas, to tortilla, or whatever takes your fancy. Any paprika is nice sprinkled on top of cheese before grilling, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Thanks all! I'll try some of those ideas. Anyway, the one I found in tesco is called La Vera paprika and it smells great.

http://en.safinter.com/products_74_PV_la-vera-paprika.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

its great for marinating meats for BBQn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love a beef stew with chorizo and smoked paprika:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mix equal quantities of smoked paprika, cumin and sea salt in a small jar - sprinkle over lamb chops before grilling or use as a condiment on cooked lamb at the table. Known as mechoui spice - it is common in Morocco.

Make a chunky tomato and sweet pepper sauce. Saute green or red pepper with 1 large spanish onion. Add garlic, dried chillies and a pinch of dried thyme and oregano. Then add two tins of chopped tomatoes. Season with 1 tsp of smoked paprika and add a glass of white wine and some bay leaves. Eat with patatas bravas - deep fried chunky potatoes. You could use roast spuds instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

sprinkle over your roasties or oven chips (reg or sweet potato)

Advertisement