Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Ds lite issue

Options
  • 05-05-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

my girlfriend bought me a ninetendo ds for christmas . i had it about 2 months and the top screen started to come up with loads of lines going through it which meant i couldnt use it . even though the bottom screen was working perfectly.

so i got in touch with nintendo and they sent me a letter with a postage stamp and told me to post off my nintendo over to england in which they would pay for postage and packaging . was waiting a few weeks and i got an email saying i would have to pay £29.90. so i emailed them becuase i phoned them and couldnt get through, wondering why i have to pay even though i still have proof of purchase and the product is under warrenty.

so today i got an email back from nintendo saying that the £29.90 is for some liquid damage to the bottom screen which isnt covered by the warrenty.

now i never had a problem with the bottom screen and never let any liquid go near my ds . plus i didnt ask them to repair the bottom screen becuase it always worked properly.

anyone know weather i pay this £29.90 or challenge it? i dont think they will give me back my nintendo if i dont pay so i dont know what to do .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

byrner88 wrote: »
    anyone know weather i pay this £29.90 or challenge it? i dont think they will give me back my nintendo if i dont pay so i dont know what to do .

As far as I know, you "commissioned" them to fix a fault. They fixed a different fault without advising you of the price. Or maybe the correspondence you got WAS advising you of the price and they won't repair the bottom screen until paid.

Tell them to fix the top screen only. They may claim that both issues are related.

You're 2 options :

1. Request that they return your DS untouched. You should not be changed but still left with defective unit
    2. Accept the charge and get your unit replaced.

Thing to bear in mind :
    1. Is the defect worth living with, if you do't want to pay the £30?
    2. If not, how much is a new unit? [I'm not really looking for an answer to this question, by the way]

This is not a consumer issue. I mean no disrespect but I sort of see this as a rant rather than you being hard done by. I severely doubt that the top screen has a water tight seal between it and the bottom seal. If there is moisture on the bottom section, it could spread.

Ultimately, it's your word against theirs. There may be no moisture on the unit. So what? They still won't repair it until you agree to pay. Which brings us back to your two options above.

As seems to be tradition on boards... an analogy...

You bring your car in for a service for €180. You agree to the price. While in for the service, they notice a few other things wrong. They ring you to tell you how much it's going to cost. Would you still be upset that you now have to pay more than €180 [if you want car in tip top condition]?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

nintendo will say that the warranty is void because of the presence of the liquid. it doesn't matter where the liquid is in the unit. i actually think that 30 quid to fix a liquid damage issue is unusally cheap so if i was you i would find out if that is the definitive final price for the fix before proceeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

but why would they even look for liquid damage in the bottom screen when they are asked to fix the top screen? does €29.90 sound about right for courier or registered post from the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

foggy_lad wrote: »
    but why would they even look for liquid damage in the bottom screen when they are asked to fix the top screen? does €29.90 sound about right for courier or registered post from the uk?

To void the warranty. Most repair centres look for customer damage or liquid damage on the whole device before addressing the fault stated. If they find none, they proceed with the repair.

€29.90 seems strange for liquid damage. Most companies would class liquid damage as BER and wouldn't even quote a price.

BER

For people not in the know, Beyond Economic Repair
    Did the Service Repair people state that the charge was for P&P or for the actual repair?

Either way, it's cheaper than forking out for a new unit. You're choices appear limited in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If that is all inclusive it sounds as a bargain to me; if it is postage only it sounds a bit on the high side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its pretty strange,

I've had DS's come to me that have been submerged in water and the actual screens would still be in working order.

The top and bottom screen are in no way related, damage to the bottom would not effect the top and vice versa.

They must have made a mistake in the their email. I would send them an email questioning it.

The screens are seperate components to the motherboard of the DS, and can be swapped out. So damage to the screens, no matter how severe, would not be BER

£30 sterling is a decent price for repair, I would not be able to match that price when you factor in postage costs both ways, so you may as well get them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

thanks for the replies.

yes the £29.90 is for repair for the bottom screen for the liquid damage. it couldnt be for postage and packaging if they already have it . i have sent them an email to find out if they have already repaired it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thanks for the replies.

yes the £29.90 is for repair for the bottom screen for the liquid damage. it couldnt be for postage and packaging if they already have it . i have sent them an email to find out if they have already repaired it or not
    they could be recouping the cost of sending it back to you by courier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

they could be recouping the cost of sending it back to you by courier?

i hope not , how much do ya reckon it would cost for the liquid damage if this is the case

• Advertisement

i hope not , how much do ya reckon it would cost for the liquid damage if this is the case
    Maybe BER

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I already said it wasn't BER

The Screen costs me ~€10 , i'm sure nintendo get it slightly cheaper than me though :)

the touch pad went on my ds lite (it was off touch and somtimes it wouldnt work atall) bought the screen off ebay with the weird screwdriver for €8. A video on youtube showed me how to replace it. Soon after, i damaged the main screen and bought a replacement for €5. It was even easier to replace and you only need a phillips head screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Should the OP not have gone back to the shop it was bought in first? I expect the likes of argos would just replace it on the spot. I know it was a present, but ask the GF for the receipt, its not like its a secret what they cost or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BF spilled some beer on my DS and it wouldn't turn on so I put it away and bought another one. A few months ago, I came across the old one and it turned on and worked away like nothing had happened. It seems that they might be a bit more resistant to liquid damage than you might think.

Advertisement