Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for Smoked Haddock that *isn't* Cullen Skink

• 05-05-2009 3:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have me some smoked haddock and would like to make something delicious with it.

I don't like Cullen Skink.

Anyone have any tasty recipes that I could try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I always put some smoked fish in a fish pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What about smokies?

Flake your (cooked) smoked haddock. Toss in creme fraische and add a few halved cherry tomatoes and chopped scallions. Divide into ramekins and top with cheddar cheese and a little black pepper, and bake til bubbly and golden. Very tasty and rich, good with salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My fish pie is more or less the smokies with mash. What about chowder?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What about smokies?

Flake your (cooked) smoked haddock. Toss in creme fraische and add a few halved cherry tomatoes and chopped scallions. Divide into ramekins and top with cheddar cheese and a little black pepper, and bake til bubbly and golden. Very tasty and rich, good with salad.

Ooh, sounds delish. Trying to be good so might supplant the cheese with a few breadcrumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Try using a good half fat cheddar and half fat creme fraische perhaps, and have a small portion of both. Don't leave out the cheese!

• Advertisement

I'd rather have no cheese than half fat cheese, I'd probably end up eating twice as much. I reckon if I season properly it'll still be yum.

Way ahead of you on the Low Fat Creme Fraische though, I actually prefer it to the full fat one.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

make a potatoe and leek based smoked haddock chowder.

Fresh fish stock, sweat some onion and celery, add chopped washed leeks and a potatoe. sweat some more. fish stock. blend. add the fish. season to taste.

Do the same, put into dishes, top with potatoe, bake a bit.
    If you add an egg yolk to your mash first, it will brown quickly so you won't be coking the bejaysus out of the chowder below.

Poach some, flake it. put onto brown bread and put a dolop of horseradish cream on top.

Microplane/fine grate some fresh horseradish into some clotted cream, TINY bit of lemon juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Cook in full fat milk with pepper and a bay leaf. Give it 15 minutes at a very low heat. Its outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Haddock Monte Carlo, recipe here. I know it asks for unsmoked in the recipe, but I've made it before with smoked and it's still good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kmick wrote: »
    Cook in full fat milk with pepper and a bay leaf. Give it 15 minutes at a very low heat. Its outstanding.

15 minutes, you trying to kill the stuff altogether?

If you're cooking smoaked hadock in milk just put it into a shallow bowl/roasting dish (deeper than the fillet obvioudly) and pour hot milk over it to cover it, leave it somwhere warm (kitchen counter top works) for about 5 minutes and it will be perfectly cooked.

The milk will take on the flavour of the fish too so can be nice used in mash if your serving mash with it, or as a sauce bash (a bechemel made with that milk and then expanded into one of thousands of compound sauces).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you're cooking smoaked hadock in milk just put it into a shallow bowl/roasting dish (deeper than the fillet obvioudly) and pour hot milk over it to cover it, leave it somwhere warm (kitchen counter top works) for about 5 minutes and it will be perfectly cooked.

The milk will take on the flavour of the fish too so can be nice used in mash if your serving mash with it, or as a sauce bash (a bechemel made with that milk and then expanded into one of thousands of compound sauces).

i would cook it the same way and serve it wih scallion mash and a nice soft poached egg on top.

rocknchef wrote: »
    i would cook it the same way and serve it wih scallion mash and a nice soft poached egg on top.

Don't forget the parmesan:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't forget the parmesan:pac:

I want smoaked hadock now :pac:

Christ Smoked haddock is versatile.

Had to serve it to someone who doesn't like smoked fish (but he'll eat it if I cook it I tells ya!). Did the little ramekins thing. He ate it all. Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Seaneh wrote: »
    I want smoaked hadock now :pac:

you and me both chief

Advertisement