Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting creamy mashed potatoes

• 05-05-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one.

Thinking about chancing using a hand blender to 'mash' some spuds to get a nice creamy lump free conistency.

Has any1 else tried this, is it worth trying in the 1st place?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I wouldn't - I'd say it would come out all gluey!

Check out this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552824

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

try a potato ricer, as below.
    I haven't tried myself but most of the cooking shows use them.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Tinned-Heavy-Potato/dp/B0001IWUX6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1241535412&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just a quick one.

Thinking about chancing using a hand blender to 'mash' some spuds to get a nice creamy lump free conistency.

Has any1 else tried this, is it worth trying in the 1st place?

Thanks for any advice

I've never used a blender for mashing potatoes so i couldn't give you advise on one. Mine are always lump free and i do it by hand. First off i add a fair amount of butter at the start, maybe two tablespoons or more. Then i give it some welly for a couple of minutes (best to use a metal masher rather than a plastic one) Then i add some sea salt, half a tablespoon of butter and i stir in some hot milk until it goes creamy. The amount of butter and milk depends on the quantity of potatoes you are mashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Sound thanks :)

Have to find me one of those mouli contraptions so

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Letting the potatoes sit for a few minutes to let the water evaporate off them is good.

Using warm cream instead of milk can make them creamier. you could try double cream if you want to go crazy, I've never had the balls!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

Well my way wouldn't be the healthiest!

Obviously boil your potatoes, fork them every few minutes to check that they are good and soft. Reduce to a low heat, take pot away to drain off water, then sit the pot on a pot stand so you can use a masher on them. Mash very thoroughly, before adding a knob of butter / margerine, and a little cream to give it the creamy texture. Return to the cooker for 1 minute (the cream and butter would have cause the potatoes to cool) then serve. Naughty but lovely ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I tried natural yoghurt in them at the weekend and they were super creamy. Was bold though and also used milk and butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Handblenders don't work, you end up with something resembling wallpaper paste, this is from experience.

Handblenders- great for potato soup, bad for mashie spuds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I mash my potatoes with butter and milk, then whip them with a fork to make them light and fluffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sim2

I don't use milk or butter but I do mix an egg into my mashed potatoes after taking them off the heat! then add salt and pepper!

Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

If you want to speed up the whole process, start with a good fluffy potato like a King Edward. I dice them into cubes so they cook really quick. While they are cooking heat some cream in a pot.

Once they are cooked, i drain the water off, take the lid away and let them sit for a minute back on the warm cooker ring to let excess water evaporate.

Get your potato masher. Start mashing the potatoes dry firstly then pour some of the hot cream in and start mashing again. Add some more cream if needed and continue mashing till you get a nice smooth consistancy. Fold in some soft butter to your tasting. I never use extact measurements, i just to it to taste and feel.

Chives are a nice addition to creamy mash potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

i always mash my spuds dry first with metal masher to get lumps out then add your butter salt and pepper to taste works every time for me

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I add butter, a splash of milk, salt and pepper and mash them with a hand-mixer (with beaters rather than a hand blender with a blade)

Never had lumpy mash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

heathcliff wrote: »
    i always mash my spuds dry first with metal masher to get lumps out then add your butter salt and pepper to taste works every time for me

I do the same. I do all the mashing first and then whisk in butter etc. with a fork.

Maybe it's my imagination but I find if the butter goes straight onto extremely hot potato before the slight cooling produced by mashing, that it tastes somehow tainted.

I tend to use unsalted butter and seasalt but don't think that makes much difference to the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

heathcliff wrote: »

Your right about mashing them dry while still on the warm cooker ring first. i forgot that step, fixed my post above ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sound thanks :)

Have to find me one of those mouli contraptions so

Nisbets have some but they are expensive. Also used to make a great soup, tomato sauce etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Potato ricers are brilliant and much less of a workout for the arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i would add butter and cream or milk depending on which i have in the fridge. i use a hand masher and it comes out silky smooth. I also add salt and pepper and more importantly nutmeg in there as well. for me it really is one of the key ingredients in good mash potatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

i would add butter and cream or milk depending on which i have in the fridge. i use a hand masher and it comes out silky smooth. I also add salt and pepper and more importantly nutmeg in there as well. for me it really is one of the key ingredients in good mash potatoes

I sometimes throw in a little pepper too. Never heard of putting nutmeg in! Might have to brave it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ericka wrote: »
    I sometimes throw in a little pepper too. Never heard of putting nutmeg in! Might have to brave it :)

Nutmeg FTW! Especially in potato gratin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

This is what I love about cooking. Take something as seemingly simple as mashed potatoes and everybody has their own special way :)

I bake large roosters in their skins in the oven until they're well cooked (skin has gone very crispy). at the same time i'm also roasting a few cloves of garlic.

I then cut them in half, scoop out the insides and pass them through a ricer. Squeeze the garlic out of their skins, add cream, salt, pepper, and maybe some fresh chives and mix.

It takes a long time, but damn is it worth it!

preilly79 wrote: »
    This is what I love about cooking. Take something as seemingly simple as mashed potatoes and everybody has their own special way :) QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

Is there any spuds that make a better mash than others?
    I usually use roosters, sometimes kerrs pinks, whatever comes to hand really

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i use a handblender every now and then, never had a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

1131109235.jpg

^^^^
    thats what i use in work, it works perfect. i add salt and pepper and melted butter and milk too.
    if you are in dublin you can pick one of those up in sweeney o' rourke on pearse street

i use a handblender every now and then, never had a problem

;)Where were you two days ago when i originally asked the question:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭tryu

Keep it simple. Boil, mash with metal masher, add milk/butter to taste continuing to use masher to blend in. Done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

tryu wrote: »
    Keep it simple. Boil, mash with metal masher, add milk/butter to taste continuing to use masher to blend in. Done!

Yes but if you then whip them with a fork it makes them very light and fluffy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I use Philedelphia cheese, real butter, milk, pepper and salt when making mash and it turns out real creamy and very tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's all about elbow grease. One must work for it! (While adding butter, milk and pepper. Cream on Christmas day ;))

• Advertisement
Advertisement