Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a very cheap van for a Student Road-Trip to France

• 05-05-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hello

We are looking for a very cheap camper van for a road trip along the west coast of France in a few weeks

Our budget is €1000~ (i know its a bit mad)

We are looking for anything that runs without major problems for a few weeks, and don't expect any comfort whatsoever,

The only advantage we have is that we are based in Ireland, Uk, France and Germany respectively - speak French but not German, so we can travel almost anywhere to find the right bargain. Ideally we would like to buy in France, but could also buy in Germany or UK if it would be much cheaper

So far we have been looking at something like a 1981 VW Transporter on Ebay in France, but even this is pushing our budget.

Has anyone any suggestions? Or should we just abandon this idea

Other questions we have re VRT - do you have to pay VRT on a camper that is 25/30 years old? And would it make any difference if we have been living abroad for 12 months

Finally what about insurance? There is a possiblilty that this will never be registered in Ireland due to VRT and Ferry costs being as much as our actual budget. Is there any company that would insure us for say a month temporarily - obviously third party only would be sufficient, but we are all only 21 - but all have full clean licences

Sorry for so many questions, even any suggestions of where to look would help greatly - have only found ebay and autotrader so far

As you can imagine it is nearly impossible to find a running camper van for €1000, but it is the challenge of that that is exciting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In my experience, a thousand euros is the magic threshold that will get you into a running vehicle that just may not break down on you for the next few months.

Not so for a camper. A grand will buy you a camper if you look long enough ...but it won't be a runner. 1k is about the bottom line for the bits and bobs that transform a van into a camper, so 1k will only ever buy you a donor vehicle.

My tip would be to buy a cheap car and a tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/caravans/893869

sure he could be brought down to €1K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

rocknchef wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/caravans/893869

sure he could be brought down to €1K

It needs a starter motor before it will run at all. €500 would be more like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Interesting alright, I'm not too hopeful of actually getting this done, but I'd have a look.

Other than that, what else do you need to get a camper on the road in Ireland, ie tax, nct? I know you need insurance obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Interesting alright, I'm not too hopeful of actually getting this done, but I'd have a look.

Other than that, what else do you need to get a camper on the road in Ireland, ie tax, nct? I know you need insurance obviously

I think at 21 yo you may find it hard to get insurance. I would check that out first. It could be the main blocker on the whole thing.

Better off to get a cheap package to Ibiza and take ecstasy and drink yourself silly for a fortnight like every other 21 yo. (I'm joking about the ecstasy of course, stick to soft drugs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nothing wrong with a good, old road trip.

I just think that on this tight a budget a tent really is the more realistic version (it leaves more money for a decent car for starters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Road trip is a great idea,
    1,000 will buy you a reasonable estate car in the uk.

if you have valid insurance you should have no problems, ask one of your parents to park up their car for the period and transfer their insurance.

sleep in the back and in a tent, take a roadside motel, every now and then for 35 euros, thre can sleep in there and all can shower. breakfast for 5 euros.

eat ,in france, in truckers restaurants ( routiers) on national roads or off motorways (signed centre routier) for 11 euro four course with wine.( sleep in van afterwards). you are welcome, its not only for truckers.

regards, rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Why a camper, just get a van, build a platform inside, double mattress on that, couple of water canisters and a couple of of folding chairs and a table should do it. Weather is usually good on the continent so you should spend a lot of time outdoors. Get soething like a Hiace and it will be more economical than a larger camper and cheaper on the fery too.

Better than a tent.

Builds charachter too :rolleyes:

Advertisement