Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch Phones

Options
  • 05-05-2009 4:46pm

These seem to be the new popularity on the market lately,

Just wondering what they are like for textin,
    I've seen people look very dodgy trying to text on them,
    does this pass with time, or is better to stick with the buttons for textin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i have the Nokia 5800 and it uses a full keyboard for texting which is faster for me as i'm not a great texter, but it does involve using 2 hands and possibly the stylus depending on how fat your fingers are ;)
    it also has a handwriting converter as well but typing is faster

but it does involve using 2 hands and possibly the stylus depending on how fat your fingers are

Would an average sized finger suit the keyboard? I wouldn't be mad about using a stylus all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It really is a case of try before you buy.

As a rampant iPhone fanboy, I've tried a load of different touch screen phones (I've had touchscreen phones since around 2001. Linky) Some are a pain to use (Blackberry Storm), some are a dream to use (iPhone), and some are in between (Tocco).

There are two main factors - the actual screen itself and the way in which the screen is used (i.e. the User interface). And a lot of it is down to user preference. Some like using a stylus, most don't.

It's horses for courses, really.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It really is a case of try before you buy.

As a rampant iPhone fanboy, I've tried a load of different touch screen phones (I've had touchscreen phones since around 2001. Linky) Some are a pain to use (Blackberry Storm), some are a dream to use (iPhone), and some are in between (Tocco).

There are two main factors - the actual screen itself and the way in which the screen is used (i.e. the User interface). And a lot of it is down to user preference. Some like using a stylus, most don't.

It's horses for courses, really.

So would you say the iPhone is the best touch phone on the market?

BTW that was a beast of a phone you had:D

So would you say the iPhone is the best touch phone on the market?

I don't want to open the usual iPhone-haters can of worms, but in terms of the User Interface and the clarity, responsiveness and ease-of use, yes, I would say the iPhone is probably the best I have tried.
    BTW that was a beast of a phone you had:D

It certainly was. But I was getting my e-mail on my phone way back in 2001 when most people didn't even have it at home. :)

/nerd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I have a Tocco, It took a week or 2 to get the hang of it, but now it is second nature, It now feels weird when I use other phones. There is no stylus with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I don't want to open the usual iPhone-haters can of worms, but in terms of the User Interface and the clarity, responsiveness and ease-of use, yes, I would say the iPhone is probably the best I have tried.
    You best start running boy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i don't think there is such a thing as a good touch-screen keyboard. i tried a good few and they all suck. go for something like an e71 that thing has a fantastic keyboard

the best keyboard ever on a phone has to be the one on the 6800/6810

towel401 wrote: »
    i don't think there is such a thing as a good touch-screen keyboard. i tried a good few and they all suck.

And I think you've hit on the most important point - not everyone likes a touchscreen. It really is a matter of preference.

• Advertisement

6 years later here I am posting on my android. How time flies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement