Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in becoming an animal welfare officer

Options
  • 05-05-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Ok i'm sorry if this is covered but i just cannot seem to find an answer anywhere. Where can anyone apply to become an Animal Welfare Officer or Inspector.

Over the past few years i've become increasingly aware of the cruelty cases in Ireland. I love animals and am constantly watching shows such as Animal Cops Houston and Pet Rescue and all those types of shows and i'm always saying i'd love to do it but my heart would bleed for them all. However now i've decided to research the possibility of becoming an Animal Welfare Inspector in Ireland but I cannot find any information except for the RSPCA website. Can anyone point me in the direction whether there is a course i've to complete or is it on the job training. I've tried to contact an inspector with the ISPCA but am waiting on a call back and no one else can help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The positions don't come up very often but starting out by volunteering might get you more familiar with the way things work in Ireland. The law regarding animals in Ireland has so many holes in it that it's not as straight forward as some of the shows on tv sadly.

Also if you check out the ANVIL website (anvilireland.ie) it will give you more info. on how they are trying to change things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I would say try and volunteer somewhere first regardless, see if you're able for it, believe me it's an extremley difficult job. I did work experience with the ISPCA and just wasn't cut out for it at all, I have massive respect for anyone that does. Good luck with it if you go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Volunteering is usually the only way to get your foot in the door. Doing something animal related in college will help, have you looked into any courses? If your really serious about this sort of job it may be better to look abroad as there would be more positions available

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Do what I did, volunteer for the DSPCA. As you gain experience and donate money, become a member, maybe adopt a pet or two. Eventually you'll be getting to the right place. It won't be easy, I have a friend who took 4 years to become an Inspector.

http://www.dspca.ie/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

best of luck to you...........id love to do it as well:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cesarbart

If you liek it then do it but ya have to dfisconnect yourself from it and be hard. The SPCA's field officer which si the same is a fas scheme look it up.gl. Do be quite honest ive no resdpect for these places as they have no idea how to handle dogs or deal with them psychologically + the field officers and all the staff are just people on the dole with a CE scheme.

Granted they do some good but cause alot bad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

OP, what you watch are US shows..

The reality and the law in Ireland are WAY different. It is frustrationg, painstakingly slow. The law is basically non-existint, prosecution depends on the Gardai and the judge on the day etc pp.

In the nearly 13 years of my doing animal rescue in Ireland I have seen things that will stay with me for the rest of my life, and in most cases there was NOTHING I could do about it apart from caring for the injured/abused animal. The people who do it get off with a slap on the wrist and I am the one who ends up with slashed tyres and broken windscreens afterwards.

I think you have a romantic notion, no offense.

You are welcome to walk a mile in my boots and then we'll see if you are cut out for it.

I agree with most of what cesarbart said re SPCA inspectors. Most are FAS and most havent got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

Dealing with Animal Cruelty can be very hard at the best of times.

You have to deal with very dangerous people, you have to go alone into halting sites, you have to know how to handle bad situations and then of course you have the back lash of certain people who can be often quite violent.

What you see on the TV is very different to what you will experience here in Ireland and as Egar says "The laws are petty compared to USA law, they make it look easy.

You also have to detach yourself from the pain of the animal you are investigating and believe me that can be hard, I have come across horrific cruelty and I have given a full days away from home due to certain cases, you have to get the Guards, Vets and then you have to arrange transport for the animals, I remember one particular case that involved 3 days to sort out as there were 52 animals involved.

You then have to sit in court while the defending Solicitor questions you up and down the same as if you have commited the crime, you will have no Solicitor because you are in court as a witness for the Guards.

You may feel like killing the people/person involved but you have to hold in your anger and your feelings, I have often come home at night and then I broke down after what I had seen, a lot of the time you are the last person to show kindness to an animal by letting it go with dignity.

You will also come across a lot of funny things as well and you will also waste a lot of time and energy on useless calls because some relation or neighbour has fallen out with somebody and they want to cause them bother and they ring you.

Investigating Cruelty can be very dangerous, it can break you heart and yes it can also be rewarding when you rescue an animal and it can rip you asunder in body, mind and spirit and it can bring you down and it can lift you and it can tear your heart strings.

You have to be a strong person to do this type of work and sometimes you can never be strong enough.

Advertisement