Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

Sorry SNIIPE - just saw that you wanted a location in or near Galway!!!!! Well if your down in Dublin you know where to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

whats the story with these 1000 mile socks? waterproof or something?????

wha do most people do here just use 1 pair or change

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

richiemack wrote: »
    are there going to be any water stops at all along the way?
    Sniipe wrote: »
    No unfortunately

From their website
    At the next transition you will lay down your bike with our crew and there will be water and other refreshments available – our famous fig rolls will be in abundance.

I'll be stocking up on fig rolls thats for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

keith123 wrote: »
    Here is the full course for all the Garmin lovers!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6526676

As in a previous post I did Run 1 last week and there's pics here of it if your interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41055232@N07/sets/72157621937266356/

Great set of pics - thanks for that.

One question - what percentage of the run is off road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I've given up on my 1000-mile socks.
    Ran the Streets of Galway in them on Saturday, they blistered me bad. Much prefer my cheapo Lidl & Aldi running socks. They are thicker, so the more cushioning seems to work for me.

Not doing GF, so can't comment on the recommendation of extra pairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

This is my 1st time attempting the GF, Regarding the Kayaking, none of my group including myself have ever done it.

So one of the lads is arranging a lesson for us, its on sit in kayaks though, so my question is, the principles are pretty much the same I assume compared to a sit on kayak, so will this lesson be enough prep for the Gaelforce?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

CKWPORT wrote: »
    This is my 1st time attempting the GF, Regarding the Kayaking, none of my group including myself have ever done it.

So one of the lads is arranging a lesson for us, its on sit in kayaks though, so my question is, the principles are pretty much the same I assume compared to a sit on kayak, so will this lesson be enough prep for the Gaelforce?

Thanks in advance

You need zero prep for Gaelforce kayaking! The fast guys do the kayak section in about 6 minutes and the slower people do it in about 11 minutes. It's very easy, if you lose time the most you'll lose is 3/4 minutes max. They're quite stable. You go in as much of a straight line as possible following all the other kayaks and get out the other side. Let the person in front paddle in a slow, powerful stroke (i.e. get the paddle blade fully into the water) with as little splashing as possible. The person in the back should try to mimic the rhythm of the person in front so that the paddles don't clash.

The person behind should try not to steer by jamming their paddle in on the left hand side to turn left. Instead they should put more strength into their positive stroke on their right hand side. This will yield the same effect (although it will take slightly longer to change the direction) but you won't have slowed down.

You'll be wearing a buoyancy aid so there is no danger. Worst case scenario as Enduro (winner of last year!) said, if you do capsize for some reason (highly unlikely) you can turn the boat right side up and climb in. They're very stable.

In summary, if you get a lesson that's great. You'll be more prepared than the majority of Gaelforcers! For anybody who hasn't kayaked before you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

clopd wrote: »
    Great set of pics - thanks for that.

One question - what percentage of the run is off road?

I reckon only 3-4km is off road the rest is road/trail.
    If you play the slideshow of the pics and click show info I have km markers but 3-4km is about right.

In summary, if you get a lesson that's great. You'll be more prepared than the majority of Gaelforcers! For anybody who hasn't kayaked before you'll be grand!

Cheers for that, we're gonna get the lessons anyways, as some of us can't even swim..:D

Sniipe wrote: »
    Get yourself a pair of 1000 mile socks. I had a spare pair at my bike

Thanks I've changed my game plan now - ordered the 1000 mile socks 2 pairs.
    Not going to use a hydration back pack. I have a waist belt I got from the IMRA summer league that'll hold my drink and gels\socks plus small rain jacket. Gonna keep my runners on for kayak as suggested, then when I get on the bike which will have my cycling shoes attached already covered with a plastic bag over night in case it rains (gonna have my cycle shorts\socks in a bag also to make the cycle comfortable on my TT bike) - I'm gonna put my runners with lock laces through the time trial bars of the bike, the tension of the lock laces will prevent the runners moving about.

Anyone see problems I might come across?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

sounds good to me, what about your survival bag? What if its a really cold and wet day and you trip and pull a muscle?

You'll need waterproof trousers and a spare tube for the bike. Pump is probably attached to the bike already?

Also I think you need a spare thermal in case of accident?

Survival bag came with the IMRA bum bag so you'll be grand for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 linehja

Hi,
    Any one out there have space in a van or bus to transport 3 bikes from Dublin to the Gael Force. There is no bike spaces on the CIE trains.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone interested in trying the kayaks on Saturday, there is a gang of us heading to Delphi for a 2 hour lesson, its 20 spots per man or woman.

Let me know if you want to go or ring and ask for Mona, she will need a 10 euro deposit off you. We can then have an oar fight.

Enduro I think you should do it, last years time wasn't good enough, you need to get under 4 mins across ;)

linehja wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any one out there have space in a van or bus to transport 3 bikes from Dublin to the Gael Force. There is no bike spaces on the CIE trains.

No, but ChainReactionCycles could deliver this to you probably by the end of the week or worst case early next week:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28383

You'll need waterproof trousers and a spare tube for the bike. Pump is probably attached to the bike already?

Also I think you need a spare thermal in case of accident?

Survival bag came with the IMRA bum bag so you'll be grand for that.

Yeah the pump will be on the bike and I'll probably put the tube in my runners :)
    I'll have the tube in a bag with my cycle shorts\socks over night.

yop wrote: »
    We can then have an oar fight.

Aaargh! The kayaker's eternal struggle! They're called paddles! (or if you're supercool - "blades"!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aaargh! The kayaker's eternal struggle! They're called paddles! (or if you're supercool - "blades"!

LOL cheeky fecker!! :) Blades are what you wear when playing soccer.

Paddles are what you have on your F1 car ;)

We will stick with oars lol

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

is anyone going to bother with waterproof trousers? im gonna wear cycle shorts, so I don't think ill have to worry too much about wet legs

is anyone going to bother with waterproof trousers? im gonna wear cycle shorts, so I don't think ill have to worry too much about wet legs

Problem is that you HAVE to bother with them, its part of the mandatory kit. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

yop wrote: »
    Problem is that you HAVE to bother with them, its part of the mandatory kit. :o
    yeah but there not gonna say youve been a naughty boy not bringing your waterproof trousers so ur not racing, who the hell would run or cycle in waterproof trousers, in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bcpk

well they say its weather dependent and they'll tell u at registration. So if u turrn up at registration at 11pm and are in wave 1 at 5.30am where do they expect you to get waterproofs at that time of nite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

bcpk wrote: »
    well they say its weather dependent and they'll tell u at registration. So if u turrn up at registration at 11pm and are in wave 1 at 5.30am where do they expect you to get waterproofs at that time of nite!
    Yeah, I think if you ask them at registration they will tell you. If its a cold wet day you might be expected to bring them. Bring them just in case!

Problem was 2 years ago there wasn't enough kayaks for everyone in the waves so people had to queue and wait. People were very cold at that point and were lucky if they had wet pants. Also if going up CP and its cold and windy and you aren't keeping youself warm, then they can become a life saver!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bcpk

I was thinking of treating myself to one of those endura waterproof jackets. Anyone know what they are like cos they are pricey? My running tops are no good for keeping water out so i'm thinking decent waterproof cycling jacket and will just let my bare very white legs take the hit with the rain!

yeah but there not gonna say youve been a naughty boy not bringing your waterproof trousers so ur not racing, who the hell would run or cycle in waterproof trousers, in all fairness

They could very easily say you're not racing. You didn't bring the mandatory kit.

You won't race in your trousers no matter how cold/wet it is. The problem is if it's cold and wet up Croagh Patrick and you sprain your ankle and it takes an hour or two to get you down. You can get some waterproof trousers that fold up very small. They'll be grand.

Afraid they might, I have "heard" that they are going to tighten up this year on kit, so you are as well to have a nice light pair in your bag, then at least you have them.

CP is a rotten spot when its wet, even if its not raining down at ground level it may well be near the cone or top of CP, and also its well advisable to have another tee-shirt of fleece jumper to through on, did it there a week ago and was glad I had the tee-shirt, fleece jumper and rain jacket going up as it was cat miserable and you don't want to be getting any wetter than you really need to.

Heard there will be stricter checks this year too, I got a light pair and they take up no room in the bag...

That said a lot of people I spoke to from Westport that done it the last 2 years, did it with empty bags, didn't bother with any kit, just their food and drink, there is probably a few planning on doing that this year.

CKWPORT wrote: »

That said a lot of people I spoke to from Westport that done it the last 2 years, did it with empty bags, didn't bother with any kit, just their food and drink, there is probably a few planning on doing that this year.

This is a form of cheating. They're not carrying the weight associated with the mandatory kit so they have an advantage over the people who play fair. Same for people who leave their bag at the bottom of Croagh Patrick. That's cheating.

This is a form of cheating. They're not carrying the weight associated with the mandatory kit so they have an advantage over the people who play fair. Same for people who leave their bag at the bottom of Croagh Patrick. That's cheating.

Agreed. This is my 1st GF, and I ran the last day with my bag full with the mandatory kit, plus some. Its not that bad, shoulders were a tad sore afterwards, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Mandatory kit - it does what it says on the tin.

Once everyone brings it we're all competing on a level playing field and the organisers can hope we'll be bright enough to use it in the case of an incident.
    I hope anyone without the kit is caught and sent away to ponder the error of their ways. In fairness the list is not that big, just bring it.

Advertisement