Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West - Discussion & Afters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

It's always good to rest up the week leading up to a race. If you've not done the training by now your not going to benefit much this week. Best idea is to wind down this week and rest thurs friday. Ill be tipping about on the bike tomorrow night, short run on Tues, and in the pool Wednesday. Your best to be rested for the big day rather than wearing yourself out during the week, nothing will be acheived from here on in!!!
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

*It is now mandatory that you have FULL BODY COVER (min: windproof).

noticed above from the GF website, does this mean you have to wear the jacket and bottoms for doing the race, or just have them in your bag incase of injury etc? Can you still do the race in shorts?

sorry, just noticed this when re-read it again..

6. Clothing; worn or carried: Gloves, Hat, Top, Outer layers: Top & Bottoms*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They must be expecting really bad weather for the day. Lucky us.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

How do you know which wave you are in. I am Jogger but can't see how to know which wave I'm in.

*Sorry got that now* Wave 6 white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GForcer1

CKWPORT wrote: »
    They must be expecting really bad weather for the day. Lucky us.

i think it's gonna be really really windy..would prefer anything but wind...hate the wind, especially on the bike..going up hill....

• Advertisement

ya, not a fan of the wind on the bike, but the route is sheltered enough with the exception of the hill climbs.

But I would be more worried about the waves on Killary. A few of us, had a (much needed) kayaking lesson on Saturday there, and it was a calm day, and that crossing was fairly choppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Stary wrote: »
    What about the morning of? as the start times are early what do you suggest for a good breakfast? i am going out on the 6am bus so am half thinking of eating a carb dinner the previous evening and just taking some energy drink and a banana in the morn for brekkie. Then just rely on power bars throughout the day! what worked last year for people?

Breakfast for me will probably be cornflakes and some Lucozade sport. I'll have a banana and finish the Lucozade on the bus. Not ideal but getting up at 3:30 for porridge sounds worse to me.

Nutrition during the race: sip water during run. Banana at kayak transition. Energy bar, water and around 400ml Lucozade sport in first half hour of cycle. Sip water on Croagh Patrick. Nothing on cycle back to Westport.
    yop wrote: »
    What about the old Jaffa cakes :) Usually are good when playing matches but not sure if this is the same.

Jaffa cakes are the business. Perfect energy food.
    belcarra wrote: »
    Same as my own targets.
    What wave are you in GoHard?
    I'm in the second wave...

I'm in the first wave 5:30! Aaargh.
    clopd wrote: »
    you can leave your helmet with your bike in transition.

Yes, definitely leave your helmet at transition. You don't want to have to run, kayak and run with a helmet.
    Also what happens at the finish - looking at pictures from previous years it seems to be a running finish - so do you have to leave your bike in a transition area at Westport house and then do a short run to finish line?

It's a 200m run from the last bike transition to the finish line in the courtyard of Westport house.
    Gerry1995 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I have only ever seen a picture of a Kayak and my daughter is giving me grief because I cannot swim, I keep telling her I don't expect to have to... hope I'm right. I will post also to say how I got on. Cheers

Kayaking won't be a problem at all. It's very short: 6-10 minutes. You have a buoyancy aid and worst case scenario if you fall out you just climb back in!
    Maverick74 wrote: »
    Another 1st timer here. I have been putting in a good bit of training combining 10k runs with 30k cycles. Managed to do 6k run/ 15k cycle to the reek, up and down and 15k cycle back to Westport 3 times over last 8 weeks. Its tough going :(. I'm feeling tired these days and was wondering what the more seasoned athletes will be doing during the week. I was planning to do a hard session tomorrow and a light run on Wednesday (6k) just to keep limber and rest Thurs and Fri. What do ye think??

No hard session! Keep it handy. Definitely go for an easy jog or an easy cycle. Don't have your legs aching. You won't get the benefit of a hard session now.
    Maverick74 wrote: »
    Also I know some people who did it last year and they gave me the impression that there was a timeout between each transition. Is this the case or does the clock keep ticking?? I'm in the jogger category and in the black wave at 7.30.

Good luck to all ;)

Mav

The only time-out transition is at the kayak transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

anyone using clip on aero bars on the bike considering putting their backpack on the opposite way around ? Would obviously help with aero position but not sure how comfortable and safe it would be - gonna try it out tonight anyway

anyone using clip on aero bars on the bike considering putting their backpack on the opposite way around ? Would obviously help with aero position but not sure how comfortable and safe it would be - gonna try it out tonight anyway

that sounds like an extreme step, dont think itll make much difference apart from being uncomfortable to carry, remember over a long course like this practicality and simplicity will get you to the end quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

a big enough bumbag could be the answer if you wanted to make the most of your aero bars?
    The mandatory kit should all fit into a small enough space, especially if you wear a cycling jersey and put some stuff in the pockets - maybe the raingear as that won't move about too much?

The question for me is whether or not to change shoes at all.

3 footwear transitions, carrying runners on the bike sections and then possibly doing a short run at the offroad section and westport house in your bike shoes or losing some pedalling efficency by wearing runners on the bike. In saying that I lost heaps of time at my one and only triathlon by having no tri-bars and wearing the runners so as I say, undecided!

The cyclocross bike is definitely staying in the shed, road bike all the way and please grud no nasty things happen to it on that 2.5km offroad section..

• Advertisement

I was planning on leaving cycling shoes on my bike, and changing and squeezing the runners into the bag and changing again at the reek...

But I am using runners all the way now, what put me off, was in training, I didn't change back to cycling shoes for the last cycle leg after climbing the reek, as I would have to get off on the off road downhill part (no way am i ruining my bike on that), anyways, the runners on those pedals was not safe, kept slipping.

So runners all the way now, I think its for the best as I cant even walk in my cycling shoes.

will we be using the same bike transition the whole time, we pick bikes up, leave m at bottom of reek, and then on the last bike leg do we return to the same bike transition as the first time we picked em up? Also can we ditch our bags there for the last bit of running?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

richiemack wrote: »
    will we be using the same bike transition the whole time, we pick bikes up, leave m at bottom of reek, and then on the last bike leg do we return to the same bike transition as the first time we picked em up? Also can we ditch our bags there for the last bit of running?

Don't get you there Richie, we pick the bikes at Delphi, cycle to reek, leave the bike, climb the reek, back down the same place and get on bike and cycle to Westport. Then the bikes are left there where we either finish or have to do some run.

yop wrote: »
    Don't get you there Richie, we pick the bikes at Delphi, cycle to reek, leave the bike, climb the reek, back down the same place and get on bike and cycle to Westport. Then the bikes are left there where we either finish or have to do some run.

Thats what I was confused about we start out on bikes from Delphi, but will not return there? and what about leaving bags at last bike transition?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No return to Delphi. Bus from Westport to the beach out near Delphi. You can't leave your bag at your bike before your climb of the reek. Your bag will be attached to you for the full thing, except maybe at the kayak where you can leave it in the kayak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

how long will it take to go by bus to delphi

am out in 5.30 wave so trying to work out what time the run will start at?

also just to confirm is the off road cycle piece after climbing croagh patrick and is it really 2.5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Just wondering do I need to lock my bike overnight and at the transitions? Would rather not have to cycle around with a lock hanging off my bike if I can avoid it, but at the same time don't want to be worried about my bike being stolen... What's the general consensus?

Also, what are people going to do about cycling shorts? Would rather not wear them running (can't imagine a big padded arse would be too comfortable running) but maybe they'd be necessary for the cycle? How are people going to juggle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

Just wondering do I need to lock my bike overnight and at the transitions? Would rather not have to cycle around with a lock hanging off my bike if I can avoid it, but at the same time don't want to be worried about my bike being stolen... What's the general consensus?

Also, what are people going to do about cycling shorts? Would rather not wear them running (can't imagine a big padded arse would be too comfortable running) but maybe they'd be necessary for the cycle? How are people going to juggle this?

Transition will be secured - they have been doing it for a few years now - so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm using my tri shorts - they are designed to be comfortable running too - as they have less padding and better flexibility than normal cycling shorts.

anyone got elevation profiles for the different sections please
    thanks

just saw the following useful info on the pulse tri club web forum: http://www.forum.pulsetri.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=495&p=1407&hilit=westport#p1407

"1. Once you get on bus at Westport House - it will be 1.5 / 2 hrs before start of race so bring extra water / food for bus journey.
    2. Run starts off with hill but it’s not too bad. Second hill is bad enough (off road). If you look up you can count 2 electricity poles and then it ends so you can use that as motivation! After the downhill (on this aspect) turn right (some folks got it wrong last year). The scenery is beautiful so it will be a lovely run.
    3. When you get to kayak area you can check out your time chip and have a rest :) - remember to check back in. :lol:
    4. Going across Killary Harbour - with the way the currents go, and if it’s a strong current, veer towards left going across.
    5. About a 3k run after that - there are 2 bungalows stay to the high side of the bungalows.
    6. Loads of people apparently miss the turn off for Croagh Patrick - its 2nd left once you turn left on to Westport road. Watch out for a sign post for some dog kennels - that your marker and take that left.
    7. Make sure to hit the time chip thingy at the top of Croagh Patrick.
    8. Footwear for Croagh Patrick - trail runners are preferable as regular runners would not have sufficient grip. Recommended smart wool socks too.
    9. They also recommended having a bit of duct tape on your bike in case you get a blow out it might be good enough to get you through."

• Advertisement

anyone got elevation profiles for the different sections please
    thanks

check out the links provided in an earlier post.
    keith123 wrote: »
    Here is the full course for all the Garmin lovers!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6526676

As in a previous post I did Run 1 last week and there's pics here of it if your interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41055232@N07/sets/72157621937266356/

yeah i saw that but it doesnt seperate the legs. I know I could do it myself on mapmyrun with that info but am too lazy !

there is a player option on the linked garmen site - which you can clearly see the distanced and how his speed changes - you'll be able to work out the change in legs via the speed changes.

thats pretty cool cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hi all,

A question about the most important part of the day - The aprés GFW!
    Is there many people:
    (a) Staying around for the evening?
    (b) Camping in Westport House?
    (c) Going to the Covers bands?
    (d) Going into Westport Town instead?

I need to sort the social side out first, I'm sure the physical side will be a piece of cake!!:cool:

A Bon Jovi covers band!!!!.....eh Pass:P

Ya, Probably gonna go for a few in town that night if I haven't collapsed from tiredness before that.

There are 5 of us staying around for the bands alright, seems a good few are camping down there.

I am getting a bit worried about punctures on Saturday now and was thinking of picking up a tube of this stuff...

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_216415_langId_-1_categoryId_212612#dtab

Am I right in thinking, that if you get a flat, you can pump the tube with this stuff instead of changing the tyre, and that might last an hour or 2?

Anyone ever used this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

there is a player option on the linked garmen site - which you can clearly see the distanced and how his speed changes - you'll be able to work out the change in legs via the speed changes.
    Just a note on that, the time/speed pretty much stopped at 3hr 2min; I had a major cramp on the first of 2 big hills on the bike part. So bad I had to jump off the bike. Thankfully there was 2 helpful lads there to help me out... otherwise I wouldn't be here today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I am getting a bit worried about punctures on Saturday now and was thinking of picking up a tube of this stuff...

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_216415_langId_-1_categoryId_212612#dtab

Am I right in thinking, that if you get a flat, you can pump the tube with this stuff instead of changing the tyre, and that might last an hour or 2?
    You would be better off with a set of puncture proof/resistant tyres. I've got armadillos on my bike and the have been thru glass, stones, curbs,... I went out on them last Sunday to do the cycle, CP and cycle again and they were perfect. I didn't get off the bike at all after CP.

The first hill on the bike has an elevation of 192m, the second hill which is just below CP is 249m (so from that we can figure out that the CP climb its self is 764m (CP height) - 249m = 515m of a climb by foot)

link from last sunday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11289514

note: I missed the turn off that clopd mentioned. Definately look out for the kennels sign (but I'm sure there will be someone there this year).
    Also note I was with 3 others and took it handy.
    Also note split 1 = cycle stage4, split 2 = up CP, split 3 down CP, split 4 cycle stage6 (split 5 redundant 6 seconds)

Advertisement